SkyscraperCity banner

621 - 640 of 685 Posts

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Ummm. Melbourne is also more than twice the size of Brisbane with a better economy. I don't wanna hate on Brisbane, but just sayin'.
That's just simplistic. Brisbane and Gold Coast are one conurbation with about 3.3 million people. The two cites are increasingly interactive and this creates the critical mass that drives demand. Brisbane has kicked serious arse in the skyscraper stakes and imagine in the next 4 years with Queens Wharf, The One, 443 Queen Street, the new office tower on North Quay and perhaps 30 Albert Street. These are just the ones in the pipeline.

Then we have a magnificent whole other skyline of skyscrapers just down the road on the Goldy.

So let's get a bit of perspective. The economy of SEQ is very, very strong.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
New DA in relation to basement works A005302063

Cardno act on behalf of WCL (QLD) Albert Street Pty Ltd (the Applicant).

On behalf of the Applicant, and pursuant to Section 51 of the Planning Act 2016 (Planning Act), were hereby submit a Development Permit for Building Work assessable against the building assessment provisions, pursuant to Schedule 9, Table 1, Item 2 of the Planning Regulation 2017 (Planning Regulation). The development application applies to the site identified as 30 Albert Street, 131A Margaret Street, 129 Margaret Street, 140 and 140A Alice Street, Brisbane City and the Albert Street, Margaret Street and Beatrice Lane road reserves (Lot 9 on SP142332, Lot 11 on RP1073, Lot 12 on B118229 and Lot 0 on SP264238).

Pursuant to Schedule 9, Table 1, Item 2 of the Planning Regulation McKenzie Group, being a private certifier, are the assessment manager for the development application.

The development application relates to the building works associated with the construction of the basement, related to the approved development over the land at 30 Albert Street and 131A Margaret Street, Brisbane City (BCC Ref.: A004462280).

Details of the Development Application, including the following material, are provided in support of the development application.

• DA Form 2 – Building Work; and
• Basement Plans and Structural / Geotechnical Advice, prepared by WSP, including a response to State Code 2.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
so?? they'll build the basement first?? then leave it there?
Yeah, but what are the changes from original concept. Are they cutting down on number of basements below street level and having some car parks above street level. I seem to recall mention of that. I don't know if it was just a suggestion on here or not.

Incidentally, I wasn't trying to be smart. I just don't understand DAs.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's not proposing any changes, otherwise it would be a change to DA. This is a referral agency response, so they are likely doing work that doesn't need a DA (or the referral was never obtained originally), but they have to refer it to BCC because Beatrice Lane is a local heritage place. Really just a procedural thing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's not proposing any changes, otherwise it would be a change to DA. This is a referral agency response, so they are likely doing work that doesn't need a DA (or the referral was never obtained originally), but they have to refer it to BCC because Beatrice Lane is a local heritage place. Really just a procedural thing.
does this mean they'll go ahead with construction soon?

·
Building Tragic....
142 Posts
That's just simplistic. Brisbane and Gold Coast are one conurbation with about 3.3 million people. The two cites are increasingly interactive and this creates the critical mass that drives demand. Brisbane has kicked serious arse in the skyscraper stakes and imagine in the next 4 years with Queens Wharf, The One, 443 Queen Street, the new office tower on North Quay and perhaps 30 Albert Street. These are just the ones in the pipeline.

Then we have a magnificent whole other skyline of skyscrapers just down the road on the Goldy.

So let's get a bit of perspective. The economy of SEQ is very, very strong.
Brisbane and GC are not one city, maybe in a couple of decades, but that awful drive from Brisbane to GC still takes an hour each way. So if you are looking at Greater Brisbane, according to ABS data, it has a population 2.46 million and grew by 2.1% in 2018 (50,120) v Melbourne at 4.96 million and grew at 2.5% in 2018 (119,421). So yes Melbourne is twice the size and growing at more than twice the rate.

·
23,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
....and how long does it take to drive from Portsea to the Melbourne CBD?

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Brisbane and GC are not one city, maybe in a couple of decades, but that awful drive from Brisbane to GC still takes an hour each way. So if you are looking at Greater Brisbane, according to ABS data, it has a population 2.46 million and grew by 2.1% in 2018 (50,120) v Melbourne at 4.96 million and grew at 2.5% in 2018 (119,421). So yes Melbourne is twice the size and growing at more than twice the rate.
Look up the definition of conurbation. That's my point. Not travel times on the M1 or the Varsity Lakes rail line.

And why are you turning this into a pissing contest? No one else is. Get a grip fella.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Please no Sydney Melbourne Brisbane contests. It's bad enough reading the love in between the SSC Sydney Melbourne members praising each other thinking they are top of the heap all the time.

But I leaned a new word: Conurbation:

an extended urban area, typically consisting of several towns merging with the suburbs of a central city.

Thank you tic.

621 - 640 of 685 Posts