1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Aquarius
Use: Mixed Use
Floors: 14
Location: Table View, on Atlantic seaboard across from Cape Town with full view of Table Mountain

_________

Cape Business News

06 Jun 2007 : New plans in Table View

Construction is under way on Aquarius, a 14-storey residential and commercial building that will form part of the vision of an architectural portal to the Table View/Blouberg beachfront.
The building at the junction of Blaauwberg Road and the shoreline road, Otto du Plessis Drive, rises from a 2 000 square metre site next to Horizon Bay, the first of several new buildings planned for this commercial-zoned sector of the coast.
Chris Bam whose practice, Bam Architects, is responsible for the design of both buildings, said the notional gateway to the beachfront formed by several planned multi-storey buildings adhered to the metropolitan structure plan for the area.
Aquarius, which is about two-thirds the height of the 21-storey Swish Property Group development Horizon Bay, creates a visual transition between the largely low rise residential flatlands of Table View and the highest point of construction on the beachfront. Both buildings, in accordance with the commercial zoning, have ground floor and upper floor accommodation for retail outlets, restaurants and offices.
Bam said Aquarius would have 63 apartments including the top floor penthouse. The orientation of the building and its design takes full advantage of its ocean view opportunities, and the exhilarating outlook over the Tygerberg and the Rietvlei wetland area of Table View. ‘The upper floor views are uninterrupted and afford an interesting contrast between the daylight maritime views and the night-time urban light show that stretches far to the north and east. Most apartments have a north facing aspect and those whose facing is south, into the prevailing summer wind, have been specially articulated to minimize the impact,’ he said.
The building will also be constructed in two towers, with a view corridor between them, that will accentuate Aquarius’ airy, modern character. Parking and utilities are accommodated in the basement area below the commercial floors.
Working on his original designs for some of Cape Town’s most noteworthy buildings, Chris Bam is known for his innovative projects that respond sympathetically to environmental and planning constraints. Both Aquarius and Horizon Bay are positioned to enjoy the spectacular viewsites they occupy and the elevations reflect the clean, crisp contours of the West Coast.
‘Development on the coast is a fact of life, and where one is responsible for elements of it, it’s essential to ensure that it is aesthetically pleasing, functional and exciting,’ says Chris.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Anton Mulder Construction

Aquarius, 10 Blaauwberg Road, Bloubergrant

Aquarius is an upmarket development comprising of 71 luxury apartments and a penthouse metres from Blouberg Beach. Situated just outside Cape Town, Aquarius boasts an enviable seafront location which takes advantage of one of the most famous and photographed views in Africa, with some of the apartments having views of Table Mountain and Table Bay. Building has commenced and completion is expected to be in the latter part of 2009.

The Blouberg area, arguably one of the fastest-growing residential areas in the country, is a metropolis of restaurants and café’s, shopping centres, golf courses, public and private schools, libraries, and two private hospitals. +- 15km from Cape Town central and 20 minutes by road from Cape Town International Airport, Blouberg is conveniently situated to the main arterial roads, the N1, N2 and N7.

The contemporary architectural expression of the building derives from the desire to create a building of visual strength and drama. All business unit spaces are glass boxes located on the first 2 levels of the building enjoying significance and transparency. Some of the apartments are south facing, giving you views of Table Mountain or north facing, giving you a sunny unit with views of the sea.

The complete interior is a simple palette of neutrals and is based in natural light, thanks to the transparency of the glazing throughout. Internally granite and travertine have been applied to the apartments with maple and mahogany joinery feature throughout the building. The overall effect of the design therefore is expansive, airy and light.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
^^ This is one of those prjects that Marco told us about, thanx Die Kapenaar.

·
23,341 Posts
^^ Are those old photos or not? I saw a building going up just behind another building at the circle linking Blaauwberg Road with Otto du Plessis Drive I think it is, but that was already a few floors above ground. I see there was a render posted up but I forgot my glasses at the time haha!

I managed to snap a terrible photo with my cell:

or is this it?

Otherwise WTF are they?

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
I recon the site across the street from these 2 towers ishou;ld go up aswell to create a gateway effect to that main road going back to the freeway. Too many low rise architectualy insignificant fast food type buildings littering this great trafic circle area

·
23,341 Posts
I'm actually liking it way more than I thought I would :) I'm glad that that greeny colour in the renders turned out grey in real life lol. That looks way better.

·
23,341 Posts
Aquarius Suites opens in Blouberg Strand
08 Thu, Jul 2010

Aquarius Luxury Suites has opened its doors in Blouberg Strand.

The property consists of 36 luxury self-contained suites consisting of between one and three bedrooms. The suites are serviced daily and feature plasma screens, DStv, in-room safes, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom amenities, 24-hour reception, security, parking and concierge, roof-top swimming pool, on-site laundry, Wi-Fi Internet access and VOIP telephone connectivity. All suites also feature a patio with a view.

The property is located within walking distance of unspoilt beaches, restaurants, pubs, shops, beauty salons, adventure activities and on-route rapid bus transport system and activities such as kite surfing.

Conference facilities will be available from August 1.

Source: Tourism Update

1 - 20 of 32 Posts