SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Iran Mehr
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am doing a project and have a question. Can some of you guys please tell me about authentic arabic food. Like food that is not from other countries or regions that arabs eat, but food that originated in the area of Arabia. Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Middle eastern food is all generally the same but within the certain countries having thier own national dishes.

For example i believe foul is regarded as an egyptian food, also cabza and ghouzi from saudi, in Bahrain we have machboos, bahraini tikka etc. etc.

·
Iran Mehr
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think Middle Eastern food is generally the same. If I am not mistaken, almost all Persian food is in fact Persian, or originated in Greater Iran (which included Iraq, Afghanistan, and parts of central Asia).

But thanks for your responses.

Is there any special or famous Arabic dish that anyone can tell me about? Like the main course... If there are any special apatizers or desert, I'd appreciate about knowing those as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
with arabic food... at least in the gulf, its very hard to speak of native food coz everything has taken in foreign influences. with all the trading of spices and goods from india and persia, the gulf arab states developed food which has some degree of foreign influence.

one example is the arab biryani (one of my favourite foods in the world) - its very different to all the kinds of indian biryani, but nevertheless there is the unmistakable origin of the food. i mean, i doubt Arab nomads grew rice in the desert. :)

someone shold explain more about the arabic dish - Rice with the full cooked goat on top served with yogurt. thats AMAZING. its a huuuuuge communal dish of rice with a whole goat on top.

also, UAE locals also eat the famous fish called "hammour" - its a tender white fish - i dont know how exactly they cook it. but nowadays, most fish n chips in dubai use hammour. personally, i love it grilled with olive oil, butter, lemon and garlic.

dates, although eaten throughout the region and n. africa, is also or WAS also a staple food in the gulf arab diet - especially coz they grow here naturally. then i believe camel was also occasionally eaten. on the UAE/oman border rest stations, there are restaurants that serve camel kebabs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
panj-delaavaraan said:
Hi everyone.

I am doing a project and have a question. Can some of you guys please tell me about authentic arabic food. Like food that is not from other countries or regions that arabs eat, but food that originated in the area of Arabia. Thanks.
There are lots of dishes that originated in Arab countries but it depend on the area. Just few examples:

Egypt: Kusharee Moloukheyya
Lebanon: Tabouli, The very rich Mezze
Syria: All types of Kebbe, Fatte
Jordan: Mansaf
Palestine: Musakhan, Maqlouba
Saudi Arabia: Kabsa, Jreesh, aseeda, Matazeez
Morocco: Couscous

The are lots of stew dishes that are related to the area

·
Banned
297 Posts
luv2bebrown said:
someone shold explain more about the arabic dish - Rice with the full cooked goat on top served with yogurt. thats AMAZING. its a huuuuuge communal dish of rice with a whole goat on top.

also, UAE locals also eat the famous fish called "hammour" - its a tender white fish - i dont know how exactly they cook it. but nowadays, most fish n chips in dubai use hammour. personally, i love it grilled with olive oil, butter, lemon and garlic.

dates, although eaten throughout the region and n. africa, is also or WAS also a staple food in the gulf arab diet - especially coz they grow here naturally. then i believe camel was also occasionally eaten. on the UAE/oman border rest stations, there are restaurants that serve camel kebabs.

Mmmmmmmmh, sounds tasty :) :eat: , especially the fish u mentioned.
I wonder what camel kebab tastes like, I guess it doesn't differ from beef too much :dunno:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I wonder... guys u know the 'Tahchin' we make in Iran... Its like biryani... its made with sultanas (kish-mish) and chicken, cooked together. unlike indian biryani its not spicy, i think its rather bland. I remember my mother saying that they made it when some Shiekh visited my great uncle when the Kassiri family were still in charge of the Mazandarani estate... so its an arabic food?... it doesnt seem very Persian. Could have been introduced to Mazandaran during caliphite rule when the region was called 'Tabaristan' :)

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
We dont put Kesh-mesh in Tahchin. Yoghurt, Chicken, Rice, safraan. and its kinda sweet (like zeresk polo)

Well my questions to the arabs is, what is the most commen taste in the arabian kitchen, sweet, spicy etc.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
shayan said:
We dont put Kesh-mesh in Tahchin. Yoghurt, Chicken, Rice, safraan. and its kinda sweet (like zeresk polo)

Well my questions to the arabs is, what is the most commen taste in the arabian kitchen, sweet, spicy etc.
shayan... every region has a different way of cooking meals. I.e. some regions put pesteh in zereshk polo (i think tabriz), tehran only put chives in sabzee koukoo and make it thick while mazandaranis put 10 different herbs in it and cook it thin. Or even take dohlma its cooked different all across Iran... Armenians do it the best imo, lentils, aloo, rice, minced meat, little bit of hotness wraped in a vine leaf...

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
Mmmmm..... Shirazies also put pesteh in the zereshk polo mmmm.... I´m hungry LOL

·
Prince of Persia
1,928 Posts
nope we still call it zereshk polo :)

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I do know that Israel is known for having shawarma, though it's pretty much chicken rather than lamb.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts