Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archerfield is the GA (General Aviation) airfield in Brisbane, located in the cities SW.

At one stage it was the main airport of Brisbane, vying with Eagle Farm.
Eagle Farm was hugely developed by the Yanks and RAAF during WW2 and took over as Brisbane airport.
Archerfield was also used in WW2.

PS- Sorry but I forgot to get a picture of the tower

Also saw "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Vinnie Jones whilst I was there, they are making a film at Archerfield called "The Condemned".

As usual huge problems with image shack re-sizing some pictures way over size.
Takes me about 4 times as long as it should to post pics, hugely annoying.

Archerfield History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archerfield_Airport

Old Terminal and Control Tower building (Tower bit was removed)

Lots of Nissen Huts

Unusual to see a cemetary at an airport

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think so, from what I heard that land may be sold for industrial development.

Seems there is a bit of controversy about the people who bought Archerfield for the bargain price of $3m, and now want to sell it off piece by piece at a huge profit.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Good pistures Aussie Bhoy, I love GA airports like Archerfield, so much more personal than the big commecials ones. I learnt to fly at Morrabbin in Melbourne. I'll never forget walking through the hangars, standing on the flight line and wtahcing the aircraft at dawn taxing out to the runways. Sorry getting sentimental, but one of these days I'll get back into it.

In Australia, the GA airports are a lot busier in terms of aircraft movements than the big four airports of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Currently the busiest in the country is Jandakot in Perth, followed by Archerfield, then Bankstown and Morrabbin (mind you there's not much between them).

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I used to play AFL at the algester raides right next door to Archefield, anyway when i was playing there they dug up a old bunker that was 20m under ground to try and find historic artifacts, word was that the tunnels spread all over the base and most of them still intact though now flooded.

I think they had to stop due to either it was flooding too much, UXO's or they didnt find anything of interest, or maybe it was a culmination of all three. Though there is still a massive hole in the ground still there where they dug it up though its just filled with water now, well it was before the drought hit!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This post is for anyone interested in the aircraft movements. The data is compiled from publicly available info at Airservices Aust. and concerns the financial year 04/05....

Airport: Movements:
-----------------------------------------------------
Jandakot 332,384
Moorabbin 276,102
Bankstown 239,410
Parafield 166,712
Archerfield 137,530
Essendon 60,262
Camden 30,770

Jandakot is by aircraft movements the busiest airport in the country. For comparison Sydney Kingsford had about 281,000 movements for the same period, while major American ports like Atlanta and Chicago have nearly 1 million movements.

·
26,663 Posts
^^Gee, Bankstown has really dropped in Movements. It wasn't that long ago that Jandakot and Bankstown were competing for top spot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts