SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DJZoneOne
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im thinking about becoming an architect, although at my age that is still a long way away.
If any of you happen to be architects, what sort of buildings do you work on and how is the employment rate currently standing in the economic climate?
any help much appreciated:)

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Don't worry about the employment rate at the moment. By the time you qualify there will probably be another recession to worry about.

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
It's not a long course, that is a myth. Its only 5 years of university, same as any other Masters course plus at least two years of work to become a registered architect. My advice is go for it, if you want to be an architect then do it.

·
Concerto Grosso
7,873 Posts
It's not a long course, that is a myth. Its only 5 years of university, same as any other Masters course plus at least two years of work to become a registered architect. My advice is go for it, if you want to be an architect then do it.
5 years IS a long course, given that degrees are generally 3 years and by the end of the 3rd year most people have had enough. You'll run up some serious debt during that time.

·
Free Cake
3,188 Posts
Be prepared to put up with misery, massive workloads, disappointment, insane tutors, late nights, and possible development of alchoholism... and I've only just finished second year! The praise is minimal, the criticism plentiful, and the costs massive. And I would still say it's a long course, I'm still constantly nagged by the fact that some of my friends who have started their courses after me will still finish before me.

If you really want to do it though, I'd say go for it! I still don't regret my decision. (yet.) I've learned a lot and met a lot of great people. (and a couple of wankers)

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
Be prepared to put up with misery, massive workloads, disappointment, insane tutors, late nights, and possible development of alchoholism... and I've only just finished second year! The praise is minimal, the criticism plentiful, and the costs massive.
That's a fair assessment of my first year! Only half of us passed first year - it's a tough course. Don't leave things to last minute unless you can handle being an insomniac.

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
Be a planner instead. That way you get to slate the work of head in the clouds architects :D

·
Thermobaric Thagomizer
19,067 Posts
5 years IS a long course, given that degrees are generally 3 years and by the end of the 3rd year most people have had enough. You'll run up some serious debt during that time.
Yes all Bachelors degrees are 3 years, including architecture. All Masters are 5 years including architecture. You dont have to do 5 years at university although I think it is quicker and easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts