Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DUBAI: The booming Muslim Gulf emirate of Dubai announced Tuesday it will build the world's first museum dedicated to the life of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

Dubai's ruler, Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashed al-Maktoum, has authorised construction of the museum to examine the legacy and message of Islam's founder, state media reported.
"The project aims to shed light on the life and legacy of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) and the divine message he lived for, thus introducing the message of eternal love and peace Islam gave the entire mankind," the official WAM news agency said.

The museum will also inform visitors on the history and practices of Islam, including the Hajj pilgrimage.

This will be an interesting place to visit and to promote the message of Islam in its true meaning.

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
I think there is already a thread on this somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what are they gonna put? pictures? statues? I mean give me a break!!

I agree Maha!... Well said!

There's no need for such a building in Dubai!... I can see people stoning that building as they pass by (me included)! lol...

Thank you 4 standing up 4 modernity...

cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

There's no need for such a building in Dubai!... I can see people stoning that building as they pass by (me included)! lol...

o_O first of all that wasn't the reason that Maha was talking about.

secondly you better think twice before you speak as what you said has insulted all muslims in here.

i hope to see moderators actions ( because we see non when we need it) :eek:hno:

·
Registered
597 Posts

:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

That is definitly not what I meant. What I mean is that in Islam it is forbidden to put statues of anyone, and it is forbidden to put pictures of the Prophet and some of his sahaba; there is hardly anything of his left and if it is I doubt that whoever has is going to sell it to them so they really don't have much to display.

Plus, Islam is not something to put in a museum like any old out-of-date item because it's part of people's everyday life.

And excuse me, but Islam works perfectly fine with modernity. It's modern enough that putting it in a museum is insulting.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

That is definitly not what I meant. What I mean is that in Islam it is forbidden to put statues of anyone, and it is forbidden to put pictures of the Prophet and some of his sahaba; there is hardly anything of his left and if it is I doubt that whoever has is going to sell it to them so they really don't have much to display.

Plus, Islam is not something to put in a museum like any old out-of-date item because it's part of people's everyday life.

And excuse me, but Islam works perfectly fine with modernity. It's modern enough that putting it in a museum is insulting.
well from what i think it's gonna be , it might divided into sections and each section has its own flavor and type of information to be demontrated, such as the prophet's life section , islamic values and main beliefs with easy to understand info for non muslims and/or non arab muslims, and another section about the Islamic Empires ?

a different section might has something to do with muslim scholars and their contributions in pushing the wheel of science forward.

so as you can see it doesn't conflict with our beliefs

·
Burj Dubai
1,684 Posts
In fact there are a lot of things they could put in that museum. For example it could have some of parts of his dress (claimed to have survived), display of how life was during that time, maps of the area, copies of Quran from that era. Letters he wrote, his seal, etc.

As far as statues are concerned, all three religions are against them:

" 'Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God.

(Bible, Leviticus 26:1)

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
Sounds like statues are fine as long as you dont worship them

·
Patriotic Emirati
6,297 Posts
^^ They are not fine Islamic wise.

But the idea of a prophet museum is not that bad. I think it will illustrate prophet Mohammed life and history some how.

I can see people stoning you.

·
Back in Blighty
3,187 Posts
Well Maha, I agree Islam is a religion strong enough to face modernity in all its forms, however, I think Muslims in the world today have totally lost the true path that they were supposed to be on... in fact they've exit the path 4 junctions down the road, done a u-turn, and are now bombing down the freeway at 210kph in the opp. direction..er, if you catch my drift.

So a museum of this kind, which will no doubt highlight the true attributes of the Prophet and that of his companions, what they stood for and the work they did to establish the Islamic way of life..then it must be good. You can still fill a museum with the Prophet's message and his teaching without creating statues - and it would still hold true to the values of Islam.

There, that's my religious rant over. No more religious posts for 6 months. Peace.

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
I would be interested in visiting this museaum. All be it for completly non religious rreasons.

but I suspect it will be 'not for non muslims'

·
Back in Blighty
3,187 Posts
you mean not not for non-Muslims?

There is a lot of rich heritage in Islam for people who would like to study the history of that period, regardless of their personal belief.

E.g. some of the letters the Prophet himself had written on his behalf (and signed) to other Emperors for example would give today's political leaders a good run for their money. (<< not religious post, but more political). :D

·
Registered
32,114 Posts

Stonning is NOT equal to modernity ... to say the least.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts