SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
17,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blackouts can sometimes be a problem in any city especially in less developed ones. Here in HK, it's rarely a problem but there are small instances where there will be blackouts.

How about your city?

·
Registered
955 Posts
None, so far. We don't have heat waves and the only other time blackouts would happen here is if a strong storm (like a hurricane or severe thunderstorm) were to pass by or someone accidentaly messed with the grid.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I don't think that Chicago has any major blackouts for long time. Maybe the snow storms or tornadoes might do the trick. :)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
I remembered that NYC had a major blackouts couple years ago!

·
17,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first time I've experienced a blackout was when I was in Manila back in the early 90s. Manila had a major blackout problem at that time but it's not much of a problem today.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
ChicagoSkyline said:
I don't think that Chicago has any major blackouts for long time. Maybe the snow storms or tornadoes might do the trick. :)
Chicago had a mini blackout in 2005. Chinatown, Bridgeport, parts of the Loop, and area along Archer Ave had no electricty in June of 2005.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
Chicago had a mini blackout in 2005. Chinatown, Bridgeport, parts of the Loop, and area along Archer Ave had no electricty in June of 2005.
Why was that? Thunderstorms?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
most industrialised countries don't have problems with power....I hear some Carribbean nations like the Dominican Republic & Haiti have power outages everyday.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Bobdreamz said:
most industrialised countries don't have problems with power....I hear some Carribbean nations like the Dominican Republic & Haiti have power outages everyday.
That stinks, how is miami tho? Like around the hurricane season :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here in the Philippines, we don't have the usual blackouts at night not like before. In the 1990's blackouts here in the Philippines were "scheduled", and yes it was very uncomfortable - crime rates soared high. Today, although "scheduled" blackouts are already a thing of the past, the problem that we are actually facing right now is paying "unused" electricity.

·
Couch Weight
2,937 Posts
Manila suffered from occassional blackouts in the 90s due to a power crisis. A nuclear plant that was supposed to supply Manila's electricity never opened. There was even one instance when jellyfishes caused the blackout. But ever since 2001, there are only few instances when blackouts occur. The financial and high-end districts rarely have electric supply lapses. If Manila is going to have a blackout, they will be the last to be affected and the first to have their electric supply restored.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
yellowscrubs said:
Here in the Philippines, we don't have the usual blackouts at night not like before. In the 1990's blackouts here in the Philippines were "scheduled", and yes it was very uncomfortable - crime rates soared high. Today, although "scheduled" blackouts are already a thing of the past, the problem that we are actually facing right now is paying "unused" electricity.
It is tuf to implement electrical grid in phillipines! :)
How does paying "unused" electricity work? Never heard of that one! :cheers:

·
17,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cosmoManila said:
Manila suffered from occassional blackouts in the 90s due to a power crisis. A nuclear plant that was supposed to supply Manila's electricity never opened. There was even one instance when jellyfishes caused the blackout. But ever since 2001, there are only few instances when blackouts occur. The financial and high-end districts rarely have electric supply lapses. If Manila is going to have a blackout, they will be the last to be affected and the first to have their electric supply restored.
I heard about the jellyfish incident which caused a major blackout of the whole Luzon! As for Makati, yes blackouts can occur but most office buildings in this area have generators.

·
Couch Weight
2,937 Posts
^^I don't know about that but people actually earn (or basically pay less) when they pay electricity. Meralco (electricity distributor in Manila) had issued refunds for its customers.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts