SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some chats on the Ethiopian thread about some experiences of Ethiopians in Uganda. This made me consider this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=107242905&postcount=2515
Yoniii,
Yosiast,

I wouldn't say 'whites only' but they do, in fact, have white dominated pubs in Kampala. One such pub I've been to is known as the 'Irish Bistro' or something like that. It is sad how they push the Black Africans around as if they are animals in those bars.

I remember that I was in that bar ones and I was pushed by this white dude from behind. I turned around and grabbed him by his shirt till he started apologizing. The craziest part of his apology was that he said: "Sorry my friend, I thought you were a regular African. they don't mind getting pushed. I didn't know you were American".

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=107251903&postcount=2517
Skyliner: Although those pubs in Kampala may not have a visible 'whites-only' sign on their windows, apparently it's a well known fact that Ugandans are not allowed inside at all. What my wife witnessed there was blatant discrimination when she arrived at one of these irish bars with a whole bunch of her white colleagues and a couple of Ugandans and she noticed how her white colleagues had to explain to the bouncers at the door why they're bringing black people inside. It was shockingly sad and of course once my wife understood what was happening, she refused to enter the bar with her colleagues. Her Ugandan colleagues simply stoodby, heads down and hoping to be allowed inside. Mind you this is their own country. After such an experience, I remember her telling me how she cried at the airport the moment she saw the green, yellow and red colors of our flag on an ET plane. During my stay in Kampala, I didn't bother going out to these places but have witnessed scenes just as bad in shopping malls and hotels. And let's not even bring up South Africa. Anyway, my point about Uganda and Kenya (and most African countries in general) is that the liberal economic model continuously touted by the West as being the saviour of the continent is truly a means for a new form of colonialism. Thus, I'm actually quite glad that the Ethiopian government is so protective of the Banking and Finance, Telecoms, and other critical sectors of the economy that has resulted in almost all businesses being owned and operated by Ethiopians themselves. Why should we become 2nd class citizens in our own country.

·
Registered
16,078 Posts
They are not like that. These clubs are for rich people. You are also likely to meet very rich Ugandans with white people. The Ugandans you are talking about are not driven out mainly because of their race but because of their financial status or class. Like you said, money is the law, no?:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is that really so? I've had sincere and open conversations with some of my Ugandan colleagues about this issue and they don't express the same sentiment as you do. If anything, their comments solidified my observations of some (not all) Ugandans being treated differently in their own country. I don't know if it has anything to do with our Ugandan brothers and sisters being so welcoming that it works against them (Ugandans are one of the nicest, sincerest people I've ever come across in my travels across our continent) but it's very visible even for an outsider like me who only spent a few days in the country. A question I have for you is, when you say "you're also likely to meet very rich Ugandans with white people"...what do you mean by that exactly? Forgive me but I'm not so sure if that's something to aspire to. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is no suprise . leadership of the country seems not to care about ugandans in general ,take the teachers strike going on, they are only demandong a $10 increase in their monthly salaries , the govt has refused to this demand, and intead bootlicks these racists dishing out our land , tax free incentives etc. but hopefully we will have another Iddi amin to reverse this trend.and unfortunately this is unfolding in a number of african countries

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted this mostly to see some of the reactions. I have seen some slight instances of what is described above. However, the greatest disregard for Ugandans seems to come from the government. I don't really mean to criticize too much the government as I realize they are a product of Uganda and managing taking into account the circumstances.

On the other hand I think Ugandan are very proud and considerate. So the need to be hospitable especially to European who have helped many Ugandan in the war times is present. In Uganda you have some lovely European that are sincerely caring and adopting destitute orphaned Ugandans.

However, most Ugandan are very proud people and don't tolerate anybody looking down on them. However, once again I have noticed slight instances of what is mentioned above.

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,367 Posts
^^ This is a big issue in Africa. We need to introduce self esteem classes in our schools. We could be the only continent that view ourselves lowly and worship everybody else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree we need education in schools, we need to embrace the goodness in our cultures while acknowledging the short comings. Like in Japan, no foreigners can go there to impose themselves on the Japanese.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I agree we need education in schools, we need to embrace the goodness in our cultures while acknowledging the short comings. Like in Japan, no foreigners can go there to impose themselves on the Japanese.
I was several times in Kampala and actually in Africa I spent quite a lot of time - the same as in Japan.

(1) true is that in Yokohama where you have a quite a lot of bars - 65% to 75% of them are "closed" for white, European people. I was very disappointing but during the time as I was daily in same streets (almost a year) they told me that there is several reasons about that manner.
(a) they wish to feel good in own environment
they sing badly, many time behaveour badly with woman .. etc. ... but this is their way and they don't like to change it. Anyway, I insist so some of them let me in.
.. and they were right!

They can't drink so much and they are drunk very fast, their jokes as so silly ... actually after short time (5 to 10 minutes) I was glad to go out.

(2) Is anything wrong with African bars where white people are going?
Well, YES and NO as there are two kind of local people
(a) the one whose just enjoy in the same environment and if so they can make some light conversation
(b) second type of local people try to sell own body, some sad story or even drugs. That is reality and the owner of the bar don't like this kind of trouble as Ugandian police can be very brutal.
So there is nothing with a color but people whose "complain" are people whose try to make something on shortcut and mostly is not legal or fair.

Maybe you never meet a guys in Sheraton hotel in Kampala waiting in toilet and giving you business cards until you are pissing? Well - I did and to be honest I don't like it at all.

In Rwanda, Kigali many people NEVER will ask you for drink, service whatever ... even you comes in their bar. But on opposite you can be bothered very much from Nigerian people.

Well - if I wish to sit in a bar and have a nice moments I don't need "services" etc. as I can find it on the street.

So, sorry but all is about selling prostitution on wrong place and not about racism.

Many Ugandans, Kenyans from Rwanda, Congo, Madagascar are quite intelligent and decent and even some are not well educated they are very pleasant and honest. But you shouldn't mix this with "business" whose some of them try to make. So problem is when experienced (mostly fat, big ass) ladies looking for 200 USD before the morning ... nothing else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts