Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Go Ahead.....Make My Day!
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday

Heard a rumour that Jeff Kennet might run for the leader of the Victorian Liberal Party again, to replace Robert Doyle !

I say that that would be the best news i have heard in 4 years with regard to Victorian Politics !

About time the Bracks Government is removed from Power here !

I know who will be getting my vote !

Lozza

·
Banned
481 Posts
Kennet did a lot of great things for MELBOURNE, but did some not so great things for VICTORIA.

He initiated Fed Square, The Exhibition Building, the tunnel, got the Grand Prix to Melbourne, made taxis yellow etc etc.

But he was way ahead of conservative Melbourne in terms of brash thinking. He wanted Melbourne to bid for the world cup (a city as opposed to a country) and he talked of Melbourne being mentioned in the same breath as London, Paris and New York.

His love of Melbourne is undeniable.

However, in the end, his arrogance, some say, got the better of him.

Mind you, under a first past the post format, whereby you simply count the number of votes attained as opposed to seats, Kennet would have beaten Bracks.

I was and still am a Kennett fan, as a Politician, not as Hawthorn President (carn pies).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like Jeff better now that he isn't the leader of the Victorian Liberal Party. His work with beyondblue, for example, is to be admired. However lets not forget that his state government were responsible for closing 350 state schools.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Amaruu said:
Kennet did a lot of great things for MELBOURNE, but did some not so great things for VICTORIA.
Too true. It was Kennet who said Melbourne was the heart and rural Victoria the toenails (eloquent, wasn't he?). Kennett could not give a stuff about Victoria, just Melbourne.

His public sector "slash and burn" approach was awful, and his privatisations a mess. And after his Radio 3AK debacle, his management skills would surely have to be questionable!

I am no fan of Bracks, but I would not like to see a return of Kennett.

Anyway, he's said he is not coming back, so that's the end of that!

·
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is mounting speculation today that he will run again !

I want to desperately get "Jeffed!" :) :rock:

If he is elected the leader of the opposition, the next state election will be a real classic i reckon !

I reckon he will really let loose on Bracks and all the SHIT he has been spinning to us for the last 7 years !:rant:

Lozza

·
Registered
403 Posts
This will be great news for Victoria if it comes off; Jeff will have learned from his mistakes, but he will haul Bracks over live coals just the way that he did to Kirner, as someone desparately needs to step into the breech and do. As it is, Bracks could've got away (and has) with blue murder, but no-one has made him and his government answerable.

That could soon change.
This is not to say Jeff did everything right. Far from it. The public transport privatisation was a dog, and he cut too far, too fast into utilities. His measures were necessary at the time but taken to unnecessary extremes. I think he'll have learnt from that; and from having seen the effects first hand of what low morale can do to people!

Watch this space.

Blue

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
lozza said:
Gday

Heard a rumour that Jeff Kennet might run for the leader of the Victorian Liberal Party again, to replace Robert Doyle !

I say that that would be the best news i have heard in 4 years with regard to Victorian Politics !

About time the Bracks Government is removed from Power here !

I know who will be getting my vote !

Lozza
The liberals always were mate! :bash:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Dosent matter who leads the Liberals (even Kennett) they will get a beating from Bracks who will walk the election in.
Voters hate disunited rabble like the Liberals are atm.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The Olderfleet said:
Too true. It was Kennet who said Melbourne was the heart and rural Victoria the toenails (eloquent, wasn't he?). Kennett could not give a stuff about Victoria, just Melbourne.

His public sector "slash and burn" approach was awful, and his privatisations a mess. And after his Radio 3AK debacle, his management skills would surely have to be questionable!

I am no fan of Bracks, but I would not like to see a return of Kennett.

Anyway, he's said he is not coming back, so that's the end of that!
I hope he dose come back like I think the idiot will.
The ALP will have a great time bringing up all the negatives that Kennett left behind ie tolls on citylink, an overpriced and useless PT ticket system,rundown schools ,hospitals and police force, underfunding Fed SQ by a mere $330 million to name just a few.
Come on down Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be very happy if Jeff came back.

·
All the way with PJK
921 Posts
I hope Jeff goes federal. He and Turnbull would white ant out the Howard faction of the party and shift the party towards the small 'L' liberals for a change.

·
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
auslankan said:
I hope he dose come back like I think the idiot will.
The ALP will have a great time bringing up all the negatives that Kennett left behind ie tolls on citylink, an overpriced and useless PT ticket system,rundown schools ,hospitals and police force, underfunding Fed SQ by a mere $330 million to name just a few.
Come on down Jeff :cheers:
i honestly reckon that if Jeff Came back, Bracks would shit himself ! If the 2 of them went one on one in a debate, Jeff would absolutely shit all over him !

Whether people like Jeff or not, he is a far better leader than Bracks could ever be ! And Victoria would be way better off under the leadership of Kennett rather than the piss poor excuse of a "Labor Party" thats in charge at the moment !

Lozza

·
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Archibomber said:
If he does they should produce "I've been Jeff'd" t-shirts.
Yes, its funny how they used to say "i've been Jeffed!"

I love how the newspaper cartoons portrayed him as this "Big Proud Rooster" with that really vicious part in his hair! Dense !

Lozza

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Kennett calls it quits

Nope!

Kennett calls it quits
By Dan Harrison
5 May 5, 2006 - 1:53pm
The Age

Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett has confirmed he will not contest the state Liberal leadership following Robert Doyle's resignation yesterday, making way for state MP Ted Bailieu to stand.

Mr Kennett indicated last night that he would spend 48 hours considering a political comeback.

However, he ruled out a return to state politics at a press conference in his Richmond office this afternoon.

When asked about entering federal parliament, he said he had "no intention" of going to Canberra.

'Don't forget 1999'

Mr Kenett said the Liberals would not be easybeats at the next election, citing his own shock landslide defeat to tbe Bracks Labor government as an example of how the underdog could come out on top.

"Don't forget 1999," he said. "No-one gave Labor a chance."

He told reporters he made the decision not to stand after talking to colleagues, including Mr Baillieu and deputy leader Louise Asher.

"I have spent considerable time since yesterday afternoon in discussion with people I value, both political and non-political," he said in a statement released just before the press conference.

"I have been grateful of the extraordinary support that has been offered to me.

"However, during that time I have since had several conversations with Ted Baillieu and Louise Asher.

"In short, Ted has convinced me that not only is willing to serve as leader of the Liberals in Victoria, he wants to serve and is eager to serve.

'Seamless transition'

"In those circumstances, I believe it is important to have as seamless a transition from Robert Doyle to a new leader as quickly as possible.

"Therefore I hereby indicate, I will not be offering myself for renewed political service, but will do all I can to support Ted and Louise in their efforts, not only to reinvigorate the Victorian parliamentary Liberal Party but to ensure a competitive electoral campaign in November.

"Ted . . . has my full support and best wishes."

Mr Baillieu earlier declared his bid for Victoria's Liberal Party leadership while pre-empting Mr Kennett's announcement he would not stand.

His declaration follows Mr Doyle's announcement yesterday that he would step down as leader ahead of the November 25 state election.

"All elections are winnable, but one step at a time," Mr Baillieu said at a press conference this morning.

"I look forward to offering myself as a candidate on Monday to the party leadership. We'll sort out other matters after that.

"I'm about uniting the party, not about dividing the party."

He said he spoken to Mr Doyle before making today's announcement.

"I have a very high regard for Robert," he said.

PM's support

Mr Baillieu said he believed John Howard would be very supportive of whoever became leader, after the Prime Minister said earlier he believed Mr Kennett could turn around the party's disastrous run in the state in recent years.

Mr Howard reiterated his support for Mr Kennett today, but said he would support Mr Baillieu if he won the leadership.

"I said what I said because I believed it and that remains the position,'' Mr Howard said.

He said he thought opposition planning spokesman Ted Baillieu would make a very good leader if he was elected.

"I think he will be very good. I have worked with him in the past ... if he is elected leader, as appears likely, I will work very hard to help him win.''

Mr Baillieu said he had spoken to Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder, another potential leadership contender, before announcing his decision.

Asher 'safe'

He expressed support his support for Ms Asher, who later confirmed that her position was safe.

Opposition police spokesman Kim Wells and shadow Attorney-General Andrew McIntosh had also been tipped to run for the leadership.

Mr Doyle said he did not yet know yet who he would support in Monday's vote.

"I will make an honest decision about who is best to lead the party when I know who the contenders are,'' he said.

"There are talented people in the parliamentary party who can step up and do the job,'' he said.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts