SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ecuador has some very good stadiums. They will need to built 2 or 3 new stadiums in other cities apart Quito and Guayaquil.
Really? I searched on stadiums in Ecuador and found that there are only 3 stadiums in Ecuador that has more than 35,000 capacity. The highest capacity one being Monumental Banco Pichincha in Guayaquil which has a bit less than 60,000 capacity. So I am wondering which stadiums Ecuador will actually use...

·
10,907 Posts
Except two stadiums the rest is awful sorry :(

Last year in Brazil you had World cup stadiums for the edition and now you have second zone structures :|

Conmebol is an embarassment which prefers earns $$$$ rather let countries develop their structures and bid for host the tournament.
As an organization CONMEBOL has its corrupt elements (much like all of FIFA's sibling organizations) but do bear in mind South America is not awash in cash to fix up their stadium infrastructure to a high degree. The amount of money dumped into Brazil '14 contributed greatly to that nation's economic woes. True, some of that was due very much to poor decisions as hosts, but it's not as if spending on sports venues alone is going to reverse problems with inflation and long-term unemployment. Colombia has some stark political and economic issues of their own and is sandwiched between two nations in Venezuela and Ecuador that are equally struggling. What little disposable income there is for investing in stadiums needs an event like this to rally folks to the cause, otherwise CONMEBOL would just have to return to Brazil every time.

·
#RenunciaPiñera
#CárcelParaPiñera
3,254 Posts
Really? I searched on stadiums in Ecuador and found that there are only 3 stadiums in Ecuador that has more than 35,000 capacity. The highest capacity one being Monumental Banco Pichincha in Guayaquil which has a bit less than 60,000 capacity. So I am wondering which stadiums Ecuador will actually use...
In Ecuador has 5 stadiums over 35,000 capacity (but 1 of them is useless).
Not many stadiums are necessary for a Copa América, with 6 being enough. And not everyone should have more than 30,000 capacity. For example in Chile 2015 only 3 stadiums was over 30,000 capacity and the average attendance was very acceptable (25K per match).

Most possible stadiums for the 2024 Copa America:

Estadio Monumental Isidro Romero Carbo - Guayaquil
Capacity: 57,270
Local team: Barcelona SC (tenant)

Estadio Rodrigo Paz Delgado ("Casa Blanca") - Quito
Capacity: 41,575
Local team: LDU Quito (tenant)

Source

Estadio George Capwell - Guayaquil
Capacity: 40,000
Local team: Emelec (tenant)

Source

Other stadiums would be rebuild or renovated: Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa (Quito, 38k), New Estadio Alejandro Serrano Aguilar (Cuenca, 24K) and Estadio Jocay in (Manta, 21K).

·
Registered
73 Posts
That was basically the 2016 copa centenario but with 16 teams. The USA offered it last month but COMNEBOL rejected it and went for this two nation format of 12 teams. SO STUPID.
It's seems stupid, but are business. Yeah, CONCACAF offered a 16 team tournament but only with CONCACAF organization, and obviusly only them earning the profits and TV rights, and Televisa or Univision winning those TV rights, because they are partners in this. What would you expect from CONMEBOL? And, obviusly, CONMEBOL also doesn't want to share profits and they have their own TV partners, Globo Sporte or Torneos y Competencias. So, Mexico or USA would give priority to Gold Cup until now, because for now on Copa America will held evey four years as the same of EuroCup and the Gold Cup still have this two odd year format. Mexico wants to join if not interferes with Gold Cup. Team USA? I don't know what they want.

·
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
845 Posts
It's seems stupid, but are business. Yeah, CONCACAF offered a 16 team tournament but only with CONCACAF organization, and obviusly only them earning the profits and TV rights, and Televisa or Univision winning those TV rights, because they are partners in this. What would you expect from CONMEBOL? And, obviusly, CONMEBOL also doesn't want to share profits and they have their own TV partners, Globo Sporte or Torneos y Competencias. So, Mexico or USA would give priority to Gold Cup until now, because for now on Copa America will held evey four years as the same of EuroCup and the Gold Cup still have this two odd year format. Mexico wants to join if not interferes with Gold Cup. Team USA? I don't know what they want.
I'd prefer they just merge the Gold Cup with the Copa America and make a 24 team America's cup to rival the Euro.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts