SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I love the home run porch, another bright idea of George W. Bush.... He noticed a lot of us fans using the billboards of the old stadium to sit in the shade in right field. He asked many of us whether we would like a roof over our heads to provide shade in the new ballpark. Viola! A home run porch was created. Its so popular even Nolan Ryan added a home run porch to his minor league stadium in Roundrock. I also wanted to mention the ceiling fans were another good idea. Any breeze helps beat the heat in Texas.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The incident from last season occurred a year ago this week. That person dropped from a greater distance however he survived. Coincidentally, both who fell were firefighters.
Sad thing about this most recent incident is that the man was at the game with his young son. I feel really bad for that kid right now, along with his family...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
How did they not identity that area as a potential safety risk? There is no reason why that 20ft deep rift should exist. There should have at least been some sort of safety net in place.

Either way, Rest in peace to the guy. I feel terrible for the poor son and the rest of the family losing their father in such a way. Poor Josh Hamilton too.

·
Fan of skylines, highways
257 Posts
I'm surprised that the ballpark doesn't have some sort of railing in the space between the stands and the scoreboard. A fall of 20', you would think there would a platform there for ballpark employees would be able to walk on.
There actually is a railing there, right in front of the stands. It's not so high that someone could overreach and fall over, unfortunately.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
There actually is a railing there, right in front of the stands. It's not so high that someone could overreach and fall over, unfortunately.
I know there's a railing in front of the 1st row, I'm referring to a railing, a type of flooring that would have prevented the fall in the first place. I didn't even know there was a gap between the stands and the outfield wall.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm surprised that the ballpark doesn't have some sort of railing in the space between the stands and the scoreboard. A fall of 20', you would think there would a platform there for ballpark employees would be able to walk on.
They said there used to be a net of some sort there, but fans would climb down onto it to get baseballs that were stuck on it. They have placed a tarp over that gap to prevent pictures, gawking, etc. of the location.

Turner Field is the same all the way around the outfield. There's about a 4 ft. gap between the wall and the stands. However, it's only an 8 ft. wall. In my opinion, this is the best approach to outfield wall design. The gap is too large for fan interference, but still close enough for balls to make it into the stands. There's little to no question about whether a ball was a HR or not.

·
Fan of skylines, highways
257 Posts
I know there's a railing in front of the 1st row, I'm referring to a railing, a type of flooring that would have prevented the fall in the first place. I didn't even know there was a gap between the stands and the outfield wall.
My fault for misunderstanding. :bash:

You're right; that gap doesn't seem to serve a purpose. Most stadiums with higher outfield wall scoreboards like that don't have that gap... the stands abut the scoreboard as if it were a normal wall.

Bet they fix that before next season.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wouldn't a railing/net/anything which does not visually indicate the drop gives fans in the first row or anyone who would want to get a ball think they have a greater sense of safety with said barrier between them and the concrete?

Think of it as a moat in a soccer stadium. Fall onto/into the moat and you take that risk.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have seen folks lunge carelessly for baseballs... Folks, your health and your life is worth more than the ball... Stadiums are like staircases, behave in them as if you were on a staircase...

As for the left field wall, there is a small gap for a person or two to work the manual scoreboard when the stadium was first built. However, a new LED ribbon type scoreboard has taken its place. It might be a good idea there to put in a net. But folks shouldn't overly lean over the railing which is above the national/international code...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts