Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
MetroPlexer
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NORTH TEXAS BID WINS!

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The 2011 Super Bowl will be played at the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington, Texas. Indianapolis and Glendale, Arizona also bid for the game.

NFL owners voted Tuesday for the North Texas group, which had Hall of Famer Roger Staubach lobbying on its behalf. The Cowboys' $1 billion stadium seats more than 100,000 and will open in 2009. It has about 27,000 more seats than the other stadiums involved.

The Indianapolis bid featured the Colts' domed stadium opening in 2008 and was backed by a Top 10 list by David Letterman. Arizona hosts the 2008 Super Bowl on Feb. 3 and hosted the 1996 Super Bowl in Tempe.

Texas has hosted the Super Bowl twice, in Houston in 2004 in the Texans' new stadium and in 1974 at Rice Stadium. Indianapolis also lost to Minneapolis in bidding for the 1992 game.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a bunch of crap.The NFL told Jerry Richardson that Charlotte would get a Super Bowl if he built a stadium with X number of seats.Where the hell is Charlotte's Super Bowl?I don't want to hear about the weather.Weather IS part of the game.And football is meant to be played OUTDOORS on grass.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
No surprise here. Arlington has a new stadium. It will be North Texas' very first Super Bowl (hosting).

·
MetroPlexer
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...I don't want to hear about the weather.Weather IS part of the game.And football is meant to be played OUTDOORS on grass.
You may not WANT to hear about it. But when you are talking about the NFL's showcase game, weather does matter.
If Charlotte really wanted a SuperBowl they should have built a dome. (...and it helps if it's a really big one.)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does Charlotte have the hotel space needed to host a Superbowl? We're talking thousands and thousands of hotel rooms needed. I remember Jacksonville had to bring in cruise ships to dock just to accomodate all the people in town for the big game. I just don't see Charlotte being able to do something like that.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You may not WANT to hear about it. But when you are talking about the NFL's showcase game, weather does matter.
If Charlotte really wanted a SuperBowl they should have built a dome. (...and it helps if it's a really big one.)
Doesn't North Texas get icy around the Super Bowl?

·
Registered
243 Posts
GO DFW!!!

BOUT TIME WE GET A SUPERBOWL...
AMERICAS TEAM HOSTING AMERICAS GAME!!
COWBOYS GONNA BE THERE FO SHO!!!

lets just hope that both Dallas and Ft. Worth build up their downtowns, and that Arlington gets DART to the stadium...because im dreding having to drive through all that traffic when the new stadium is done.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
GO DFW!!!

BOUT TIME WE GET A SUPERBOWL...
AMERICAS TEAM HOSTING AMERICAS GAME!!
COWBOYS GONNA BE THERE FO SHO!!!

lets just hope that both Dallas and Ft. Worth build up their downtowns, and that Arlington gets DART to the stadium...because im dreding having to drive through all that traffic when the new stadium is done.
Try winning a playoff game sometime this decade before spouting off at the mouth like that.

Laces OUT Romo!!

Unlike Dallas, Indy knows how to host major sporting events.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try winning a playoff game sometime this decade before spouting off at the mouth like that.

Laces OUT Romo!!

Unlike Dallas, Indy knows how to host major sporting events.
Well, maybe Indy should win a few more super bowls before its demented fans spout off.

Let's see, Dallas has hosted...the Final Four, World Cup, NBA Championship series, NHL all star game, NHL championship series, the Cotton Bowl...those are off the top of my head.

DFW has hosted MLB All Star game, 200K-bubba NASCAR x2 a year, hs football games that attract 50K fans...there's probably more, but I'm not a big sports fan.

Don't worry; if DFW can handle Southlake vs. Trinty :), I think we can handle the super bowl.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
And Dallas deserves it with that gorgeous new stadium....Congrats!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
About $300-350 million will be pumped into the DFW economy during the event.
Yes! Superbowls are HUGE. We've had 6 in New Orleans. They are so much fun. I've been on Japanese TV on Bourbon St. when we hosted a Superbowl a few years back. It's a blast. Here's hoping that we're on the list,again, one day, in New Orleans. Congrats again!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Does Charlotte have the hotel space needed to host a Superbowl? We're talking thousands and thousands of hotel rooms needed. I remember Jacksonville had to bring in cruise ships to dock just to accomodate all the people in town for the big game. I just don't see Charlotte being able to do something like that.
Charlotte has numerous obstacles to overcome, not least of which are hotel space and public transit capable of handling a Super Bowl sized crowd. Weather is really not a factor, as we are above the league's minimum temperature threshold.

·
18,271 Posts
Charlotte has numerous obstacles to overcome, not least of which are hotel space and public transit capable of handling a Super Bowl sized crowd. Weather is really not a factor, as we are above the league's minimum temperature threshold.
I think the NFL would like to play in really warm climates, or at least play the game indoors at a temperature in the upper 60's or low 70's at least. When the Eagles were in the Super Bowl at Jacksonville, fans complained about the cool weather for the weekend and while at the game. This was Florida they were talking about. The next year, people were discouraged at having to battle snow in Detroit during the Super Bowl.

People that go to the Super Bowl want a good vacation out of it as well, and would really like it to be played in a tropical or always-warm climate. The NFL can't do that, because then Miami, Tampa, San Diego, and New Orleans would always host it, so domes spread the Bowl out.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well, maybe Indy should win a few more super bowls before its demented fans spout off.

Let's see, Dallas has hosted...the Final Four, World Cup, NBA Championship series, NHL all star game, NHL championship series, the Cotton Bowl...those are off the top of my head.

DFW has hosted MLB All Star game, 200K-bubba NASCAR x2 a year, hs football games that attract 50K fans...there's probably more, but I'm not a big sports fan.

Don't worry; if DFW can handle Southlake vs. Trinty :), I think we can handle the super bowl.
Well Indy does host those racing events. I believe Arlington had the MLB All-Star game, and NASCAR was way up there by Denton, Tx. A good 30+ miles away from Dallas. The NHL is not a big event.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts