Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to Bellevue, WA. Located just minutes east across Lake Washington from the great city of Seattle. Estimated population around 115,000. Once considered a "suburb" of Seattle, Bellevue is booming and making a strong attempt to remove itself from Seattle's shadow and into her own light.

Hope you enjoy....

The Bravern....exciting project!

Bravern's cranes...

More condos...

Washington Square

It took awhile, but row homes finally made their way to Bellevue...

My favorite pizza joint...

Eddie Bauer's corporate headquarters...

I think this guy is one of the Soprano's...

My favorite...Bellevue Towers!

Bellevue, truly an American city...

Downtown Park; this waterfall is 240 feet wide...

You can't beat spring time in the Pacific Northwest, you just can't!

Tower 333

Poor lighting on this shot, what the hell...

City Center

Glass, glass and more glass...

View from my balcony...

THANKS FOR VISITING, I HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY PHOTOS AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED TAKING THEM.

·
Journeyman
16,918 Posts
It truly is amazing. DT Bellevue has what, 15 tower cranes, and nearly all for new towers? By late 2008 the skyline will be larger than the main downtowns of a lot of million-plus metros.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
No doubt, Bellevue will be one of the premiere "edge cities" in the U.S. by 2009. Beyond that "edge" status, could eventually overtake Seattle as an office/residential center, but that will take a bit longer. I challenge any other US city or suburb with as many cranes as Bellevue has currently!

·
Journeyman
16,918 Posts
No doubt, Bellevue will be one of the premiere "edge cities" in the U.S. by 2009. Beyond that "edge" status, could eventually overtake Seattle as an office/residential center, but that will take a bit longer. I challenge any other US city or suburb with as many cranes as Bellevue has currently!
It would take lots more booms equal to the current one to equal Downtown Seattle, and that's if Seattle didn't grow also. DT Bellevue is growing more quickly in percentage terms and per-acre, but Downtown Seattle is growing much faster in absolute numbers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It would take lots more booms equal to the current one to equal Downtown Seattle, and that's if Seattle didn't grow also. DT Bellevue is growing more quickly in percentage terms and per-acre, but Downtown Seattle is growing much faster in absolute numbers.
Agreed, that's why I said it will take awhile. But, factor in the politics of Seattle vs. Bellevue, and Seattle will most likely try to curb development before Bellevue even thinks about it. Just look at recent history. Hard to predict 20-30 years out, but my inclination is that Bellevue will be more "balls-out" during this period than Seattle will be.

I still say Bellevue should spread out the growth to increase job/residential development around east King County. I am all for high-density, but Bellevue/Issaquah/Redmond has a unique opportunity to build several smaller downtowns that will disperse the traffic and job centers. Seattle has a "plan" to do this, but I doubt it will happen due to staunch residents who want to keep their neighborhood just as they are.

·
Journeyman
16,918 Posts
Seattle has gotten way more accepting of development. The urban village wars of 1990(?) and CAP are a distant memory. We might see a significant backlash at some point, but there's a tidal change in public savvy -- they now realize, and care about, the fact that density is part of the antidote to sprawl, and helps encourage transit use.

Greater Downtown Seattle can grow massively under the existing zoning, even without the likely upzoning of South Downtown. We could easily add several Downtown Bellevues (2009 version).

I'm in favor of more dense little downtowns around the region, including high-rises in some. That's the natural outcome with growth management.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Bellevue certainly looks great! I very much like the clean new look of the city along with all of the greenery. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts