Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
City of Mediocrity
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn....this is a great project!
Yes it is. Unfortunately, people are already complaining that it will block the Witch's Hat Water Tower. I was just at happy hour at Hodges Bend and I mentioned this development to the group I was with and a couple were "concerned" that it will block the view. :nuts: Hopefully I was able to convince them that it won't.

·
Working the OT
804 Posts
Yes it is. Unfortunately, people are already complaining that it will block the Witch's Hat Water Tower. I was just at happy hour at Hodges Bend and I mentioned this development to the group I was with and a couple were "concerned" that it will block the view. :nuts: Hopefully I was able to convince them that it won't.
Such is life in a city that is growing, sure there are land marks but guess what before that landmark was there something else was a land mark. It is what happens as cities grow and change over time. I get it we like our nice little things but enough of the roadblocks to growth and progress in this city.

·
3,210 Posts
I like the rehab of the older building as well. The one criticism of the project is there should be some incorporation of the historic building's nice red brick in some other elements of the new structures to better tie it together visually.

Will the higher building actually obstruct the view form the water tower? Probably not, however, I think that is a legitimate concern that should be addressed. Increasing urban density is good but it should be done in collaboration with the neighborhood: not shoving it down people's throats as if we live in a dictatorship.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Actually I saw a diagram that shows the top of the taller tower almost level in height with the Witches Tower. In the grand scheme of things you're probably looking at 5 degrees of a 365 degree view impacted; is that enough to raise a stink and try to block it, ask Alatus...

I really like the look of this project and think it would really fit in well with the newer buildings along this corridor, but I have my doubts of whether we've seen the last revision of this one.

·
3,210 Posts
^^I dont think that's cause for concern given what you say. I like the design ( and height) for the most part. But some thought about its relationship with the historic tower doesn't seem out of bounds as a consideration. Certainly they can peacefully coexist.

The positive with Alatus was they really listened carefully to the neighborhood and came up with a striking design with the vast majority supporting it. It was tiny group of extremists who gave them hell. I hope this doesn't happen here.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Per Twitter, developer has reached an agreement with the neighborhood group to decrease tower height to 13 stories and widen it, with no net loss of units. Sounds like the neighborhood group now formally supports the proposal at 13 stories.

In the past, it has appeared that Prospect Park has had a sort of unwritten agreement with the development community that they won't stand in the way of density and height on the north side of University if the developers leave the predominantly low-density residential south of University alone. I'm honestly surprised to see the neighborhood support 13 stories on the south side of University. Of course I'd love to see 17 get built with or without the neighborhood's support. But 13 getting built now is better than a protracted fight over 17, and is indicative that the neighborhood has some appetite for midrises fronting university on the south side, which is great.

·
City of Mediocrity
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Per Twitter, developer has reached an agreement with the neighborhood group to decrease tower height to 13 stories and widen it, with no net loss of units. Sounds like the neighborhood group now formally supports the proposal at 13 stories.

In the past, it has appeared that Prospect Park has had a sort of unwritten agreement with the development community that they won't stand in the way of density and height on the north side of University if the developers leave the predominantly low-density residential south of University alone. I'm honestly surprised to see the neighborhood support 13 stories on the south side of University. Of course I'd love to see 17 get built with or without the neighborhood's support. But 13 getting built now is better than a protracted fight over 17, and is indicative that the neighborhood has some appetite for midrises fronting university on the south side, which is great.
I would love to see University Avenue (from 25th Ave in MPLS to Rice St in STP) lined with 10 - 20-story apartments and condos.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the building/property on the corner to the west of this project was recently sold to a developer in the past 1-2 years wasnt it? Do we know if that has a pending project or will be integrated into this some point in the future? I see theres a dashed line box in between this development and that lot, and Im curious what thats supposed to be. I dont remember who bought that parcel, but Im almost positive that it did.

·
Paradise Island
3,771 Posts
the building/property on the corner to the west of this project was recently sold to a developer in the past 1-2 years wasnt it? Do we know if that has a pending project or will be integrated into this some point in the future? I see theres a dashed line box in between this development and that lot, and Im curious what thats supposed to be. I dont remember who bought that parcel, but Im almost positive that it did.
I believe that box is the other developer's proposal. I don't remember all of the details but I know there is an active proposal on that property as well.

·
Mostly Sane
2,337 Posts
^Good news.

I think this is a really thoughtful design. The "cubic" theme is iterated in several ways, such as the extruded window surrounds, the incised cubic terraces and the "plastering" of a black cube onto the facade of the tower. The themes all play off of the single and double cubes (OK, technically approximate squares) of of the original Art & Architecture building. The original's transoms are repeated in the new retail wing. And the whole cubic theme is given a very nice twist by the curved facades of the eastern wings. It does break down a bit on the western facade with the projecting balconies, although I understand that those views will sell. But hell, I'm delighted with it.

And of course my happiness is the most important thing on this forum, don't you think? :)

For a project that kind of came out of left field, this is one of the best in recent years.

EDIT...

There are two details I'm still curious about...
1. Are they going to remove the added structure on the roof of the original building?
2. Look at the new renderings of the original building above. Are they going to somehow unify the black and red colors of brick on the original building?

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the considerable mass of this project, they have done a decent job of getting the complex to read as multiple buildings. University Avenue is slowly getting lined with better density. With the University’s proposed plans for expansion to the East of TCF Stadium, the space between the St. Paul city line and the U will take on some real heft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts