SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from an amazing long weekend in The Hawke's Bay Region - here's a taste of things to come :)

NAPIER | NEW ZEALAND

NAPIER
by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

HAVELOCK NORTH VILLAGE | NEW ZEALAND

HAVELOCK VILLAGE

CRAGGY RANGE VINEYARD

HASTINGS | NEW ZEALAND

HASTINGS

HASTINGS
by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr​

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
hi syd, I always love art deco.
sometimes, I have this wishful thinking of building a village exactly just what you posted
with more mid-rise offices and residentials, neon lights, palm trees, antiquated tram cars
and small park with art deco fountains.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amazing, very nice photos from this town; more please :)
Thanks mate, yes I have many more ;)

hi syd, I always love art deco.
sometimes, I have this wishful thinking of building a village exactly just what you posted
with more mid-rise offices and residentials, neon lights, palm trees, antiquated tram cars
and small park with art deco fountains.
I couldn't agree more, I also love it. It was a stroke of bad luck that brought this about - the town was completely destroyed by an earthquake in 1931 and the powers that be decided to rebuild it in the Art Deco style - thank heavens for that ;) Each year they have a week long Art Deco Festival which I am definitely going to attend - I can't wait. Thanks for the comment mate :cheers:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A short introduction to The Hawke's Bay Region ...... The main urban centres are NAPIER (pop. 58 000), 17 kilomteres south is HASTINGS (pop. 75 000) and 7 kilometres from Hastings is HAVELOCK NORTH VILLAGE (pop. 10 000). The region is world famous for it's wines, Napier is famous for it's Art Deco style and Hastings is famous for it's collection of Spanish Mission style.

First up is NAPIER ...

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER

NAPIER
by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr​

·
México
2,766 Posts
wonderful! yet another wonder down under!
I've been wondering about those wide awnings in cities of New zealand and Australia. They're often as wide and long as the whole sidewalk. Are they only meant to offer extra advertising space over people's heads? Done right, they can really enhace the look of a block. But I also think they would block the views as you walk down the street, or they could ruin a facade...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wonderful! yet another wonder down under!
I've been wondering about those wide awnings in cities of New zealand and Australia. They're often as wide and long as the whole sidewalk. Are they only meant to offer extra advertising space over people's heads? Done right, they can really enhace the look of a block. But I also think they would block the views as you walk down the street, or they could ruin a facade...
I would say that the main function is weather protection and I will agree, they have their pro's and their con's. In Auckland quite a few canopies are being changed to glass which is far more attractive - while protecting you from the elements, it allows light to enter and you also gain better views :) The side awnings in Napier are part and parcel of the Art Deco style. Thanks for the comment and I hope that my explanation is sufficient ;)

Superb! I wonder if the film companies ever use the city for period locations?
Now that would be a surprise if they don't market Napier as a filming destination. If they don't I can only imagine that they are losing out big time :) Thanks for the comment :cheers:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts