SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other cities seem to have threads on their Art Deco buildings so I thought Sheffield should have one on its Art Deco buildings as it a style of design I personally like and I think Sheffield has some very nice examples.

·
Banned
15,521 Posts
Go on then, Syorks, post some pictures of them.

Here's one to start you off: the Showroom cinema, Paternoster Row, city centre.

·
18,063 Posts
as this is one of my favourite styles it makes me very sad to say that most of sheffields art deco buildings were destroyed in the war..(F*#^!)

even though some are not wholly art deco these are some of the most famous examples in the city

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Yes, I queued for Star Wars in 77. And saw the Man with the Golden Gun at the Abbeydale Picture Palace, which probably qualifies as art deco too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
lets not forget about the mighty (but sadly crumbling) high storrs school. it has some really nice art deco elements, particularly the library and main entrance. the long-overdue revamp should see it returned to its former glory and see the end of those hideous 60's extensions.

i always think it looks amazing sat on the hill when you approach the city from ringinglow....although it does resemble a prison in some ways. when i was a pupil that seemed rather fitting.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
Dont have pictures of either but you have a rather groovy dairy on Broadfield Road (dont know the area i'm afraid Abbeydale maybe?) and there is the fantastic Regent Court at Hillsborough.
There is also the RC Sacred Heart Church at Hillsborough aswell i seem to remember.

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
There's a Mini garage off Infirmary Road. Unfortunately it's closed down now, so the building is possibly on the way out.

There's also a bar/club in Intake. I don't know what it's called though.

·
Chartered Artichoke
514 Posts
lets not forget about the mighty (but sadly crumbling) high storrs school. it has some really nice art deco elements, particularly the library and main entrance. the long-overdue revamp should see it returned to its former glory and see the end of those hideous 60's extensions.

i always think it looks amazing sat on the hill when you approach the city from ringinglow....although it does resemble a prison in some ways. when i was a pupil that seemed rather fitting.
Well, hello from another ex-High Storrs-er! :cheers:

·
Registered
744 Posts
haha. ace.

drove past the storrs a couple of days ago. it looks HORRENDOUS. the rennovation is due quite soon i hear but it currently looks like it's been burnt out inside and that massive black security fence is terrible. it's almost enough to make an ex-pupil cry...but not quite!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts