SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1016 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm quite fond of this style that existed roughly between 1893 and 1914 so I thought it might deserve it's own topic on this board. As art nouveau (or jugendstil or what other names its known as) is a very individual style and it varies a lot upon the region I would be very interested to see examples from other countries. :)

I'll try to give the good example with some pictures i took in the last couple of years starting with "the capital of art nouveau": Brussels

There are several cities in Europe with a lot buildings in this style but Brussels probably does deserve the title because of a couple of reasons. The first art nouveau buildings were built here in 1893 by Victor Hankar and Paul Hankar. As it became very popular there is a big diversity of art nouveau buildings. There's a lot of difference in size, style and destination as they span from palaces or department stores to little town houses and schools or shops. There are over 1000 buildings remaining and you can find them all over town from the historic center to the suburbs.

This house by Horta is the first art nouveau building ever constructed. The Hotel Tassel is usually credited with this title but this one is actually a couple months older.

Some other fine examples by other architects.

The Stoclet palace is the odd one out. It's the master piece of the Wiener Werkstatte and was constructed for a wealthy banker who had lived in Vienna for a while. The architect is Hoffman and the interior was decorated by Gustav Klimt. Also unesco world heritage.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
France has at least one town outside of Paris with a rich art nouveau heritage

Some examples from the wonderful Nancy

You can find other buildings elsewhere in Lorraine.

Saint-Mihiel:

Commercy:

Epinal:

Metz:

The rest of France seems to have lot less art nouveau. These are some scarce examples with some influences.

So please share your local Art Nouveau, Jugendstil, Stile Liberty, Modernisme and Wiener Secession buildings with me. :)

·
LIBERTINED
45,315 Posts
Fantastic thread :applause: And some fine examples.

There are great buildings of this style all around Europe, esp. Barcelona with its Modernisme, probably the European capital of this style.

I'll show some of the German Jugendstil later on.

PS: PLEASE reduce the amount of photos per post. Disperse them and limit it to 5 photos/post or something.
It's taking to long to load this page otherwise.

·
15,838 Posts
You should see Jugendstil in Riga, Latvia. it is really something

here are some that I have

·
LIBERTINED
45,315 Posts
The Jugendstil of Riga is well known. It's a paradise of this period.

But you left out the best examples of the town ;)

The Neustadt area with its great Eisenstein works!

Probably the most famous: Elizabetes Iela 10 (built in 1903)

Wiki

Wiki

Wiki

Wiki

Strelnieku Iela 6 (built in 1904, by Konstantins Pekšens)

Wiki

Wiki

Albert Iela 2a

Wiki

Alberta Iela 4

Wiki

There are many more :) I love this quarter.

·
Very nice, how much?
2,084 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
In Bilbao I can only remember two Art Nouveau style buildings.

Montero building

"Campos Eliseos" Theatre (Champs Elysées). Now under renovation

And the project that is U/C

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you mention Brussels please don't leave out the fantastic Old England Building!
I didn't but for some reason the picture refused to show. So thanks for filling in this void. :)

In Bilbao I can only remember two Art Nouveau style buildings.

It isn't art nouveau but there is an early building by the Belgian art nouveau architect Paul Hankar. He co-invented the architectural style 5 years later but this here is neo-renaissance.

If never been to Bilbao but doesn't it look a bit out place there? It definitely feels more Belgian than Spanish to me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Bilbao, during the industrialization, was so influenced by Belgian and British culture. You can find many different styles in Bilbao.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to Germany for a weekend earlier this month and in Xanten I came across this very simple example of an older building redecorated in jugendstil.

Doesn't look like much but it's the first german representative here and and a nice example how this style could find it's way into a small countrytown. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And because i've just seen the request of Erbse i'm spreading my original pictures a little more.

Some examples from Belgium's other 2 neighbouring countries:

The netherlands:

Nijmegen

Maastricht

Luxemburg

Esch-sur-Alzette

Diekirch

1 - 20 of 1016 Posts