SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:weirdo:

Guys, this is a hilarious article of a China hater trying to bash Hong Kong by comparing it to Taiwan. I found it so ridiculous that I laughed, and thought I'd share it with you all:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2006/04/28/2003304997

Communist poison has sickened Hong Kong
By Cao Changching 曹長青

Friday, Apr 28, 2006,Page 8

Having traveled to Taiwan numerous times, I have found that the country is no longer a distant and foreign place to me. Although I might have changed my views on Taiwan's political climate, I have yet to change my feelings about the Taiwanese.

Last week my wife and I traveled to Hong Kong to visit my ailing father. Since I have been blacklisted by the Chinese government, I can only meet my family there.

From there, I flew on to Taiwan, where I suddenly rediscovered those feelings of closeness and familiarity -- a result of my boredom with Hong Kong.

Hong Kong stay

What I experienced during my brief stay in Hong Kong was not so much the restrictions on political and press freedom but the deteriorating standard of living. The streets were chaotic, pedestrians ignored traffic rules, people were rude to one another and talked loudly as if they were quarreling.

Dining in Hong Kong's restaurants was also an unpleasant experience. Regardless of their size, I found the restaurants sadly lacking in hospitality and courtesy. Service was perfunctory, and the staff were often abrasive.

During a visit to a local restaurant, one of my friends didn't like the set menu so we decided to choose our own dishes. We had to spend an awful lot of time arguing with the waiters before we were finally allowed to choose what we wanted to eat.

Another time when I dined with a number of friends, one of my friends who often visits Hong Kong advised us to check the bill before paying, as some restaurants inflate the prices on the check.

I've always tried to be careful not to judge other people. However, after double-checking our orders, my friend found that the price for a squab had been doubled, dishes that were not served had been charged for, and a number of service charges that should not have been included had been added to the bill.

Honesty

These incidents remind me of a sign propped up by a roadside food stand that I once saw in Taiwan. It read "steamed buns made the night before," which were selling at a lower price than fresh steamed buns.

That sign reflects the atmosphere of honesty in Taiwanese society.

In Hong Kong, a day old steamed bun would have been sold at the same price as a fresh bun, and in China, people openly sell fake steamed buns. These three types of steamed buns represent three different social and moral standards.

The changes in Hong Kong have me worried about the future of Taiwan.

Communist poison

While China has not yet been able to impose its "one country, two systems" policy on Taiwan as it has done in Hong Kong, the poison of the communist society is spreading to Taiwan in many different ways.

If the 200,000 Taiwanese businessmen in China want to be successful in that society, they have to adapt to its system of deceit, bribery and corruption. In the long run, they may well import these vices into Taiwan.

Despite the constant political wrangling and media hubbub in Taiwan, it remains calm, orderly and courteous. Moreover, honesty still guides most businesses regardless of their size.

The Taiwan Strait has managed to contain the communist virus out of the country, and I hope that Taiwan can remain a healthy society so that whoever travels there will feel its warmth and beauty.

Cao Changqing is a freelance journalist.
Translated by Daniel Cheng

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Wow, I am still amazed to see stuff like this published even though I've encountered the likes of this so-called journalists for many years...

It is not clear that the author is Taiwanese as he claims that he "travelled to Taiwan numerous times".

He also didn't mention that he has visited Hong Kong PRIOR to the handover so how can he compare?

"During a visit to a local restaurant, one of my friends didn't like the set menu so we decided to choose our own dishes. We had to spend an awful lot of time arguing with the waiters before we were finally allowed to choose what we wanted to eat."

It seems like the author and his friends are the ones being rude and unreasonable. What kind of person goes into a restaurant and order something that is NOT on the menu?

I can't speak about his other poor experiences but I've had good and bad experiences in almost any city I've travelled to, there is no utopia.

Regarding the signs, assuming his examples are true, he's comparing the best of Taiwan with the worst of Hong Kong and mainland China, how is that fair?

Thanks for sharing this article with us.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I mistyped the title of my thread. Oops! Yes, I am not sure if he is Taiwanese and if he isn't, where exactly he is from.

Anyway, there exists no press censorship or civil liberty suppression that he talks of, and the "bad" people he saw have always been there regardless of who HK was under, plus a billion other illogical things, etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
iiregardless of the truth or intention of the article ... its obvious that media
plays a huge role in directing the audience in how it sees the world today
i always find it quite perculiar in how hong kong is portrayed in more
anti-communist newspaper articles in taiwan ...
is it only to serve as building identity and political independence ...
or is it to serve as building barriers ...
a lot of my friends are taiwanese and they are far from being as bias as that

·
Registered
419 Posts
i personally am quite interested in
how taiwanese sees hong kong
after the handover ... has the media portrayed generally in a
negative, neutral or positive tone ...

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a lot of Taiwanese friends too, and the majority of them seem to know very little about HK and have not made any recent plans to visit--even the ones who travel frequently in the Asia-Pacific region. Thus they offer little opinion, which prevents them from being biased.

However, once in a while the media and certain political alignments will come up with something like this to promote Taiwan's pan-green / pro-independence image. It is firstly a very falsified and biased viewpoint, and even if it were true it is argued very illogically. It is a very unprofessional article, even a very unprofessional editorial.

These kinds of articles damage the goal of objectivity and non-bias that any news agency is obligated to present to the public (to its best ability). It is in this context that I find this article laughable. While media in general is far from perfect in this respect, sometimes it still does come up with crazy stuff.

Unfortunately, these forms of media do have their loyal audience, and for some people, this is exactly what they want to read. They want to hear bad things about anything related to China so that they can strengthen their hatred for China, and they want to hear bad things about HK so that they can feel superior to the city because it is now under China. This is similar to ultra-nationalist editorials in Japan that certain types of people love to read. Truly professional and objective news agencies would never even write like that about mainland China, let alone a highly productive international city.

I talked to a few people in Taipei during my brief visit in December, ranging from family friends/businesspeople to taxi drivers, and it seems that the average opinion of HK is far less biased than that displayed in this editorial.

What exactly is this "Communist Poison," anyway? Is it a term he made up?

·
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...
1,529 Posts
this is so crazy... such extremist views... If this was published in the US about a US city someone would have done a background check on this guy (and finds out he's paid by some kind of special interest groups)

some rebuttals:

this article is so outrageously ignorant it's not even funny X-D going to a restaurant and special order what you want? Who do you think you are? Ma Ying Jiu? lol and being charged a service fee for food thaz not offered is hardly unexpectable...

talk about fake food... remember those "Fun Si" in Taiwan that killed a bunch of ppl last year in Taiwan? If you don't thaz ok, coz at least WE DON'T HAVE SOME CRAZY GUY GOING INTO A CONVENIENCE STORE AND INJECT POISON INTO FOOD TO KILL PEOPLE! (This happened last year too)

And you know what's best about HK? OUR LEGISLATORS DON'T FIGHT EVERYTIME THEY'RE IN THE LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL... (talk about people talking loud when they're quarreling X-D) O.. and we might not be able to vote for our own leader YET, but we sure as hell don't have one that has to fake an assasination attempt to get elected :-D

Are these the great examples of the "moral standards" of Taiwan? or are these examples of the "calm, orderly and courteous" nature of Taiwan that the author proudly mentioned?

Gimme a break... :rolls eyes:

P.S. A freelance journalist from China with a name translated in Pinyin? Smells like someone desperate to hide his footsteps from a Taiwanese bank :-0

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
spicytimothy: Please don't turn this into a Taiwan vs. Hong Kong thread now. This article is the opinion of one obviously very biased Taiwanese individual. He does not speak for any of his fellow Taiwanese.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to folks from SSP, he is a mainland dissident now working in the US. Unfortunately, due to my title mistake, they're not too receptive of my thread over there =(

·
1,529 Posts
Pangu said:
spicytimothy: Please don't turn this into a Taiwan vs. Hong Kong thread now. This article is the opinion of one obviously very biased Taiwanese individual. He does not speak for any of his fellow Taiwanese.
Just trying to point out how easy it is to say shit about people/things/places when ur motivated... and that Taiwan has no right to criticize with their own problems, let alone some unknown loser

I have no beef with Taiwan don't worry :-D

·
1,529 Posts
superchan7 said:
According to folks from SSP, he is a mainland dissident now working in the US. Unfortunately, due to my title mistake, they're not too receptive of my thread over there =(
ah... all the more likely for my guess to be true now that we know he's from the US... you have no idea how many fanatic special interest groups there are in this country... in a place like CA i wouldn't doubt some Taiwanese-independence -minded organization paid him to write this...

then again it could b just him... plenty of crazy ppl looking for their 15-mins of fame...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Cao Changching ,the author of this shitty article ,is a famous communism hater who is now living in NYC.

quote:"The changes in Hong Kong have me worried about the future of Taiwan."

o jXsus,read through the whole crappy article ,I dont even know what has been changed in Hong Kong in his point of view! what has been changed ,since when ?compare to which period?

quote:"In Hong Kong, a day old steamed bun would have been sold at the same price as a fresh bun, and in China, people openly sell fake steamed buns. These three types of steamed buns represent three different social and moral standards."

wow ,STEAMED BUN / social , moral standard remix ! how entertaining it is!! :happy:
which restaurant in Hong Kong would have been sold a day old steamed bun at the same price as a fresh bun?
when ,where and who?
how can a single incident represent social and moral standards for a region as well as a whole country?

·
Registered
15 Posts
曹长青是民运人物,讲的也是固定模式的陈词滥调,写文章也不换一种口味.我看很多龙应台的文章也是这样,有一篇文章还以禁止践踏草坪,禁止随意停车来反映香港不如台湾民主.
基本的秩序和礼仪也和民主挂上钩,说话大声就是没有民主素养;说话小声就是处在压迫之下的本能反应,这些理由也太好找了.

·
Registered
760 Posts
superchan7 said:
So he's from mainland? That explains the hatred toward HK. :|

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
Care to elaborate on just how that fact explains his hatred toward HK? :sleepy:

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
sfgadv02 said:
Everything he said is pretty much biased against HK.
No, here is what you said:

Your arguement is clearly the following:

"Since the author is from mainland China, it should be obvious that he hates Hong Kong because all mainland Chinese hates Hong Kong."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts