Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree that more should be done to boost the interest in L.A. neighborhoods. Unfortunately, I think most tourists see the Hollywood sign, Beverly Hills, and maybe the beach, and they think they've "seen L.A.".

Untapped tourism gems?

L.A.'s ethnic enclaves tend to be overlooked by visitors. A project aims to advertise their attractions and offer an economic boost.

By Teresa Watanabe, Times Staff Writer
June 9, 2007

In Highland Park, an explosion of art galleries in the last few years has made the neighborhood a leading light of contemporary Latino art in Los Angeles.

East Hollywood, meanwhile, features a profusion of Thai restaurants and spas, along with Armenian bakeries, shops and a boat-shaped library, which reflects the legend that Noah's Ark came to rest on an Armenian mountain.

And in Leimert Park, hip-hop artists, drummers and jazz and blues musicians have turned the tree-lined pedestrian space into a vibrant center of African American performance art.

More:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ethnic9jun09,0,5316518.story?coll=la-home-center

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Los Angeles has soooo much to offer it's nearly impossible for a tourist to cover in such short time. So most tourist would stick to what's more known.

This article should put more focus on the day by day Angelinos who aren't aware of such great attractions in our own back yard. So when we happened to get an outside visitor we can personally take them to this unknown district within the city.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I agree that more should be done to boost the interest in L.A. neighborhoods. Unfortunately, I think most tourists see the Hollywood sign, Beverly Hills, and maybe the beach, and they think they've "seen L.A.".

Untapped tourism gems?

L.A.'s ethnic enclaves tend to be overlooked by visitors. A project aims to advertise their attractions and offer an economic boost.

By Teresa Watanabe, Times Staff Writer
June 9, 2007

In Highland Park, an explosion of art galleries in the last few years has made the neighborhood a leading light of contemporary Latino art in Los Angeles.

East Hollywood, meanwhile, features a profusion of Thai restaurants and spas, along with Armenian bakeries, shops and a boat-shaped library, which reflects the legend that Noah's Ark came to rest on an Armenian mountain.

And in Leimert Park, hip-hop artists, drummers and jazz and blues musicians have turned the tree-lined pedestrian space into a vibrant center of African American performance art.

More:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ethnic9jun09,0,5316518.story?coll=la-home-center
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
East Hollywood Represent!
Actually I had lunch with the LA Times reporter and photographer and the LA Commons folks at Ruen Pair in Thai Town last Thursday, I also accompanied them to the Pilibos Armenian school. I was supposed to put on a presentation, but they were short on time. The same tour was done last month and the Times wanted to cover it, so a separate press tour was done for them.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
What does East Hollywood really have to offer?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Los Angeles has soooo much to offer it's nearly impossible for a tourist to cover in such short time. So most tourist would stick to what's more known.

This article should put more focus on the day by day Angelinos who aren't aware of such great attractions in our own back yard. So when we happened to get an outside visitor we can personally take them to this unknown district within the city.
From the Article:

"ethnic neighborhoods may be of particular interest to repeat visitors who already have seen the region's major landmarks, he said.

Half of the 25 million tourists who visit Los Angeles annually are from the San Diego-San Francisco-Phoenix triangle, he said, and probably are familiar with the region.

"They've done the landmarks," McDowell said. "They're looking for something new.""

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
From the Article:

"ethnic neighborhoods may be of particular interest to repeat visitors who already have seen the region's major landmarks, he said.

Half of the 25 million tourists who visit Los Angeles annually are from the San Diego-San Francisco-Phoenix triangle, he said, and probably are familiar with the region.

"They've done the landmarks," McDowell said. "They're looking for something new.""
That's true. Likewise, when I visit SF or SD, I have no interest in the Golden Gate Bridge or Sea World, I just wanna hang out with friends and immerse myself in the local atmosphere, especially going to areas I've never really seen before.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
That's true. Likewise, when I visit SF or SD, I have no interest in the Golden Gate Bridge or Sea World, I just wanna hang out with friends and immerse myself in the local atmosphere, especially going to areas I've never really seen before.
I agree. I never want to be a 'tourist.' I want to explore cities and find more of the little and surprising things that other people wouldn't be too interested. Plus I (or at least I hope) have better fasion tastes that tourists.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
What does RTFA mean? Retarded Troll Fucking Asshole?
Oh, haha sorry. I probably spend too much time reading fark.com...

It's what you said above, except replace "Retarded" with "Read," "Troll" with "The" and "Asshole" with "Article." :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
In my honest opinion,L.A offers much more things to See and Do than any other Metropolitan Area in the Country,and it appears that City Leaders and Developers are finally opening up their eyes and realizing it :)

L.A has Enormous Potential in The Tourism Industry.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
^^ I agree. I believe that this area has so much more to offer that our counterpart in the east coast.

·
Registered
899 Posts
There's also places like Little Ethiopia (on Fairfax between Pico and San Vicente) which is the center of the 40,000 strong Ethiopian community here.

Vietnamese folks in Garden Grove and Westminister

Cambodians and Samoans in Long Beach, etc :banana: :banana:

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
LA is like Paris, they disdain tourists but they know they need their money to help boost the local economy, so what can you do, it's like a double edged sword

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. If I was going to look for a spa or something like that it would not be in East Hollywood. It would be in Hollywood. Do you know of any good ones?

I am going to do my research...I'll be back!

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
are you talking a regular spa or one of those places with prostate massage and "full release" ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts