Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I first started hanging out on SSP, SSC, and urbanplanet, I'd wanted a camera to take my own city photos to share with folks. I got a camera for Christmas this past year, but I didn't start to go out and do my think until May. Here are the first couple of months of pics from my camera. These were taken weeks apart, but if you put them together you can tell a little story, from morning to daytime to lunch to evening. Hope you like!

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Great pics :cheers2:
The first few pics of Asheville with the Apps around it are fantastic!
Awww cute cats :D

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Excellent work, hauntedheadnc :eek:kay: I hope you enjoy your new camera and please, keep those photos coming ;) Asheville is always a pleasure to see in person, but your photos are the next best thing. Loved the shots with the cats, too.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Asheville is, without a doubt, one of the best "small cities" in the South. We need threads like this to show the unititiated what all the fuss is about :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Smashing Pumpkins

On a recent visit to Asheville, I realized what a great music, shopping, and dining scene exists. I saw Kings of Leon there at the Orange Peel, and I noticed that the Smashing Pumpkins are playing there not once, not twice, but nine times on their tour. For a band of that caliber, Asheville must feel pretty special to host nine shows on their tour. And the crazy part is that all the shows sold out in less that one minute (so I heard). The only other city in the US to receive such a treat -- San Francisco (at the Fillmore).

I'm a Charlottean, and I love where I live, but I envy what Asheville's arts and music scene has. I'd love a venue as incredible as the Orange Peel to be here, and to have a downtown as vibrant as Asheville has. The truth is that you couldn't find pictures like this in Charlotte. The retail scene and the "grit" of Asheville is something that the downtowns in larger cities in NC will possibly never have.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
^ The only other city I can think of in NC is Wilmington. What kills me about Asheville is the cosmopolitan nature of the city. Here you have a secluded city in the mountains that is more sophisticated than almost any other city on the East Coast; a city the exudes Southern sophistication but without the old money snobbery of coastal towns like Charleston and Savannah. In short, Asheville is different. Obviously Asheville's beauty is the major draw, but it's almost as if years ago, all the creative and cool people of society said let's go to Asheville and establish an outpost of tolerance and acceptance and sophistication.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I must agree with PiperPig on his comments. During my last visit, Asheville gave me that great feeling that I was in a more cosmopolitan place. In my opinion, Asheville and Wilmington have the best downtowns in the state, overall. While they still have areas that could be redeveloped, they provide a great environment, the way they are. A ton of natural beauty and lots of historic buildings worth preserving. I can never get enough of Asheville!!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I noticed that the Smashing Pumpkins are playing there not once, not twice, but nine times on their tour. For a band of that caliber, Asheville must feel pretty special to host nine shows on their tour. And the crazy part is that all the shows sold out in less that one minute (so I heard).
They tried to sell the tickets on an alternative to Ticketmaster (good for them), but the site was completely overwhelmed and crashed as soon as tickets were made available. They ended up having to release them on Ticketmaster because they couldn't find anyone else who could handle the traffic; the whole set of shows sold in under 5 minutes.

I've got mine for the 7/3 show :)

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments, everyone. When it comes to redevelopment, which Raleigh-NC mentioned, an enormous opportunity may soon present itself to Asheville.

Right now, the NCDOT is planning a redesign of the interstates that pass through Asheville, and this redesign includes a new bridge over the river. Their original design was as typically destructive as you'd expect of the DOT, but several local groups, including the Asheville branch of the AIA came up with their own plan which uses a fraction of the land, costs many millions less, and would open for development a swath of land the size of the current downtown. The local plan is under review now and the city, county, and nearly everyone else with clout have come out in favor of the locally-produced plan. Keep your fingers crossed that that's the route the DOT chooses to take. If they do, Asheville would get the chance to essentially build an entirely new downtown that would sweep all the way down to the French Broad riverfront.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts