Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
101,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asian Institute of Medicine, Science & Technology
by hijjaskasturi

The circle formation of the overall Masterplan is a clear and strong image signifying knowledge held in the greater circle of life. A crescent moon-kite form of the 'wau' sits balanced in the circle resulting in a harmonious whole.The circle is a universal form, transcending all Malaysian races and religion and unifying them to a whole.

Positioning the three faculties and the Great Hall and library complex around a central radial core reinforces the concept while creating a strong beginning to develop a "sense of place" that will be important in guiding the architectural development of the university.

The heart of the circle is the academic core with five radial fingers representing the 3 faculties and the Great Hall complex. The circle as a unifying form signifies education within the global context.

Crossing through the lakes, the initial focus will be the Great Hall and administrative complex, which will stand majestically at the entrance of the campus. This central core is to facilitate student interaction between faculties, the cross fertilization of ideas and instantly creating a strong identity for the campus. The Great Hall is connected by a ring of walkways, connecting students within the campus to the other facilities. To the north of the Great Hall sits the Multimedia Library and Student Centre. Flanking to the right and left of the Multimedia Complex is the Medical Faculty and the Engineering + IT Faculty.

The campus planning is first and foremost oriented towards pedestrians, with walking and cycling as the predominant forms of movement on campus. The centralised Academic and Administrative core facilitates this. In addition, all faculties are within a 10 minute (800m) walking diameter. The student residencies are within a 15 minute (1000m) walking diameter from the Academic Core. Automobile access is located on the outer ring of the Academic Core to minimize automobile intrusion, and disability access will be provided throughout the campus.

·
Registered
101,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Asian Institute of Medicine, Science and Technology (AIMST) is the first private university in northern Malaysia that offers a range of science and technology-based programmes at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. An exceptionally outward-looking university, AIMST is well on the road to becoming a premier private sector university in the country and region catering to the needs of local and international students. It aspires to provide quality technical education at affordable costs, in programmes covering medicine and health sciences, applied sciences, engineering, computer technology as well as business and management.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
thx nazrey. i've heard about this college last yr. really appreciate that u post those pix here. loving the design! i think there is one more university that is currently being built. It's UTAR (University of Tuanku Abdul Rahman). I think it is located somewhere in Perak. I've heard the design will be awesome. Not sure how awesome but it will look good.

·
sa isip, sa salita
2,372 Posts
i think utar already completed. lakes surrounding the campus makes it awesome.

i suggest nazri u make a new thread about Malaysia's private university because their design is a level above those over publicized public university. like Norman Foster's UTP. i personally feel that no SEA's university can beat UTP.

·
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter
10,127 Posts
nice!! great post, nazrey!

·
sa isip, sa salita
2,372 Posts
we still need to send our students overseas because we dont wamt our future workforce to have this "katak bawah tempurung" mentality. there's so much to gain by sending them overseas. work culture is one of them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts