SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,728 Posts
Some trains.

The "Littorina" self-propelled car. It would make for a cool tram.

I believe these are the (albeit unrepaired) prides of the Eritrean Railway. It's diesel, compared to the other steam locomotives in use.

This too, it's larger than the other steam locomotives.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,728 Posts
A fun little story about Asmara: there once was a book about Ethiopia in our elementary school library (this was clearly an older book). Asmara was on the cover, and for years I thought they had made a mistake and stuck some Italian town on the cover by accident!

·
real gooner
4,651 Posts
A fun little story about Asmara: there once was a book about Ethiopia in our elementary school library (this was clearly an older book). Asmara was on the cover, and for years I thought they had made a mistake and stuck some Italian town on the cover by accident!
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Banned
9 Posts
This is coming from a guy with an Eritrean fetish? Funny, I looked at Addis Ababa and wondered how this place could be the AU capital when it is the 6th dirtiest city in the world. But back to the beautiful Asmara, I wouldn't trade it for any Chinese constructed mess you got going on in Ethiopia. Enjoy Asmara with the photographs because you will never see it in person.

·
Djibouti
6,099 Posts
This is coming from a guy with an Eritrean fetish? Funny, I looked at Addis Ababa and wondered how this place could be the AU capital when it is the 6th dirtiest city in the world. But back to the beautiful Asmara, I wouldn't trade it for any Chinese constructed mess you got going on in Ethiopia. Enjoy Asmara with the photographs because you will never see it in person.
Please don't polute this thread with such comments, you are not doing a favor to Asmara.

·
Registered
17 Posts
beautiful!
makes me want to visit Eritrea more, which i am hoping to, soon. i always wondered if i can travel to Ethiopia freely, as a foreigner, when i have Eritrean visa stamp in my passport. it looks like a gulf country in certain photos with those date palm trees.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
IMO, Asmara is the most beautiful capital city in East Africa. Lots of nice art deco eye candy.
Yeah its definitely the cleanest and neatest. I think Addis Ababa and Mogadishu have the highest potential in terms of natural geography and climate, if only they cleaned things up a bit. Mogadishu could rival any Mediterranean city and Addis would look something like a European or South American mountain city if done right, its a shame neither city can reconcile the massive social problems that stand in the way of this potential (war in Mog and poverty/caste in AA).

·
29,026 Posts
Yes and no...both do share the Italian colonial architectural influence but Asmara was totally remade by the Italians in a way that Muqdisho never was, and Muqdisho has/had lots of prior architectural styles, like the Old Town which is more Arab/Islamic influenced. It was definitely the prettiest African capital, back in the day...hopefully in the future, the style is remade.

Asmara is also heavy on art deco, which was never huge in Muqdisho.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
Mogadishu is a mix of Asmara and Tangiers, but Xusein is right in saying that Mogadishu was never influenced by Italians to the extent that Asmara was. Asmara is basically a relic of post-WW2 Rome while Mogadishu has the strong presence of the Arab quarter as well as areas built in the 1960s/70s that are more modern and true to Mogadishu's coastal atmosphere much like many Mediterranean and Swahili shore cities. Asmara as beautiful as it is just looks like a scary relic from the 50s like Pyongyang.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yes and no...both do share the Italian colonial architectural influence but Asmara was totally remade by the Italians in a way that Muqdisho never was, and Muqdisho has/had lots of prior architectural styles, like the Old Town which is more Arab/Islamic influenced. It was definitely the prettiest African capital, back in the day...hopefully in the future, the style is remade.

Asmara is also heavy on art deco, which was never huge in Muqdisho.
Obviously you have never been to Asmara.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts