SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 844 Posts

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aston University

I thought it deserved its own thread given its plans! :)

Blocks A & B below - will post more info later.

Looks like they'll be touching 60m and the overall scheme is huge! :banana:

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Yep, the scheme's massive. Top floor will be 51m. Added height for the plant and is it a wind turbine? :dunno:

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They appear to be inline wind turbines :yes:

51m top floor, 5m plant (I guess) and a metre or two spike.

Nice!

·
15,712 Posts
i figured the towers are just short of 60m to the roof. thouse more students are only having 2.85m ceiling heights too... poor them

but yesthis scheme is massive and has 2 nice towers.... how many are being demolished though.. 2 or 3, i cant remember!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Are these new plans? The exisitin Stafford/Dalton/Lawrence 20 Storey towers were meant to be demolished when I was there in 2001. The logistics made it near impossible but the addition of new private accomodation surrounding the campus makes the new plans possible without losing students. Also I think Aston Uni made some money selling off various bits of land in the past few years.

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Aston have got something else in the works too -

Next to the Sack of Spuds. Associated Architects.

:)

That looks good. I cant remember (dont visit that campus as much) what the building is but a tasteful extension and redo is good.

Whole campus keeps developing. The Nelson building business school is beautiful now it has square in middle.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A bit more:

The more I see of this the more I love it. The use or terracotta to blend in with the area, the colour scheme, the detail - everything. This will be a real asset to the uni and the city :)

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
This looks great and will really give Aston Uni some tlc that it deserves. The inline wind turbines are fantastic!

As for the Associated Architects development, that looks great and they are doing some great things for the city!

·
That's Dr to you
4,215 Posts
That looks good. I cant remember (dont visit that campus as much) what the building is but a tasteful extension and redo is good.

Whole campus keeps developing. The Nelson building business school is beautiful now it has square in middle.
I think it's being used as a retro cinema showing older film etc.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Also app submitted to refurb the entrance of the main building (app C/01913/07/FUL but the attachments aren't there at this point)

Obviously they're already spending that extra money they're getting!

·
Registered
14,981 Posts

·
Brummie & Proud
2,965 Posts
BP today includes a two page spread on Aston's plans with a new visual. BP is a good buy today as there is also a "Who's Who in Comercial Property" supplement with some interesting articles (but nothing that we didn't already know) and also City Living magazine

1 - 20 of 844 Posts