SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 709 Posts

·
That's Dr to you
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guilbert posted these photos on the original completed thread, I think due to the size of the phase 2 development that a new thread is needed, I hope Guilbert doesn't mind me quoting these here.

If Dalton Tower and Lawrence Tower, and surrounding buildings, are to be demolished, and something new put in their place, should that project not have its own entry on the Construction forum?

What is going there anyway?

Below picture taken yesterday of the two buildings to be demolished (the two on the left)

Buildings to be demolished by Guilbert53, on Flickr

Below a picture taken yesterday of part of a demolished building. Picture taken in Aston Street near the old fire station,

Aston University, Birmingham by Guilbert53, on Flickr

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
I'll probably walk past there tomorrow (at lunchtime).

Thought there was hoardings and a gate on Aston Street? Sometimes you have to walk onto the road and around the temporary tarmac road entrance.

Would this include the library (or is that separate)?

·
That's Dr to you
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll probably walk past there tomorrow (at lunchtime).

Thought there was hoardings and a gate on Aston Street? Sometimes you have to walk onto the road and around the temporary tarmac road entrance.

Would this include the library (or is that separate)?
No, the Library is totally separate project, the photos were only put in the other thread as it wasn't thought it was worth creating a separate thread for it.

·
Banned
3,829 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Ell.

Yes there is a gate, with a small hole where the padlock is, so I poked my camera through the hole and got the picture of the demolished building.

I understand after these two towers have been gutted of their internals they will be "blown up" (blown down?) in March or April next year.

Could be a nice photo opportunity then.

Nobody has said what is going to be built on the site after these towers have gone.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I wrongly thought the new buildings that were constructed were to take up the loss for the demolished towers .I didn't realise we were getting a new phase .

·
That's Dr to you
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes there is a gate, with a small hole where the padlock is, so I poked my camera through the hole and got the picture of the demolished building.

I understand after these two towers have been gutted of their internals they will be "blown up" (blown down?) in March or April next year.

Nobody has said what is going to be built on the site after these towers have gone.
The last 2 images show that it is pretty much the same as what has just been built, but will curve around the corner of Aston St and James Watt Queensway to a second tower, which will be next to Stafford Tower. The third image shows part of the new low rise to be built.

http://www1.aston.ac.uk/about/campus-redevelopment/aston-student-village/picture-gallery/

PS, I started the thread, not Ell, but I'll let you off ;)

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts

Neil started it.

I walked past it today. Was raining. Pretty sure that building was still up last Friday.

Hope blowing up the towers wont effect student life around there (not that I'm a student - just a local office worker who passes through the University grounds).

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
No, the Library is totally separate project, the photos were only put in the other thread as it wasn't thought it was worth creating a separate thread for it.
Well the library is closer to Phase I anyway, and they did it quite quick (all it needs is a bit of landscaping out front).

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
Nothing major - more demolition of the lower buildings.

A few holes in the pavement down Aston Street - possibly for Severn Trent Water.

Some pipes exposed.

Graffiti tags already popped up on hoardings on James Watt Queensway (and they just painted them recently).

Can see other things going on from Lakeside (regarding the demolition).

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
Men in the holes on Aston Street today. Two are def for Severn Trent Water.

Not sure about the other one.

Walked through Lakeside, you can see demolition from there (on your left if coming from James Watt Queensway).

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
Holes in the pavement being filled in today.

Hoardings going up in the Lakeside area.

Can see demolished piles from the other side of the traffic lights on James Watt Queensway.

·
ENTJ 8w9
11,993 Posts
My mum will be happy to see these go. She was a student when these were first built, she said they were bad then. :S

·
flickr ell brown
21,719 Posts
They are putting window slots into the hoardings. With a wired grill inside.

They also cut down trees within the site.

Wonder if they will plant new trees when the new one is completed?

1 - 20 of 709 Posts