Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Construction at the north and south end

Construction it seems has begun to complete the north and south end. (See rendering) Capacity might exceed 40,000 it seems.

fookin hell its looking great

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always thought the stadium would only be completed end 2009. But at this rate Athlone Stadium could be done end 2008. It seems they are working on both ends of the stadium simultanously.

Thanks so much kulani for finding this!

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect timing

Athlone City Improvement District Established
by City of Cape Town
31 May 2007 City of Cape Town
City of Cape Town

The Cape Town City Council at its meeting of 30 May 2007 approved the formation of a City Improvement District in Athlone (ATHCID). In so doing, it once again committed itself to public-private partnerships. The concept encourages business owners to create a clean and healthy working environment and to improve safety and security.

Councillor Simon Grindrod, the Mayco member for Economic, Social Development and Tourism said: "This will serve as a catalyst to attract further regeneration investment from the private sector. It is a great example of how public-private partnerships can work and it will stimulate job creation in Athlone and surrounding areas".

Mansoor Mohamed, the City's Executive Director for Economic, Social Development and Tourism, said: "ATHCID is the fifteenth CID to be established in the city. Collectively, they have an annual budget of more than R50 million which is collected by the City and paid to the respective CID Management Boards. This funds their activities in accordance with their business plans. It is an excellent example of how symbiotic partnerships should be implemented and active participation by business owners will enhance their investments".

The founding of the ATHCID is the culmination of a two year process by the Steering Committee led by Sumaya Taliep and the City's Economic Development Department, under Runan Rossouw. Rossouw said: "Many business areas like the Athlone CBD have been moderately successful. To remain successful they must position themselves in a rapidly changing city environment and the global economy. The CID concept allows business and industry owners to realise their full potential by creating a well managed business environment".

Taliep, a well known businesswoman and deputy president of the Cape Town Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry said: "The ATHCID's short term focus is branding, marketing and investment promotion. The informal trading sector will be further developed to become well managed and to restore good governance that will allow for the further creation of jobs. ATHCID will focus on cleaning up the tarnished crime and grime image.

The ATHCID's long term focus will be to improve the image of Athlone CBD in line with the City's strategic objectives of creating local economic development opportunities and to position itself to take advantage of business opportunities that will become available from initiatives like the 2010 World Cup."

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
That is great news. The DA multiparty government is living up to it's promise to serve the largely coloured (mixed-race) community in this suburb which voted for it.

Also I heard a report on BBC World Service this morning about Athlone Stadium and how it was passed up by the FIFA governing body, along with the provincial and city governments when the decision was made to make the semi-final venue at Green Point. The report mentions how Green Point sits on a prime site, the most valuable real estate in the country, and the fact that 70% of the city's hotel rooms are within a 10-minute drive of Green Point. The local association at Athlone was quoted as being felt left out since Green Point is inaccessible to them. The program presenter did criticise what he described as little consultation that took place to decide on Green Point as a venue for 2010. Mayor Helen Zille was quoted on the program about the processes of choosing Green Point and the fact that there was little time to make the decision.

·
Karoo Prime
1,219 Posts
Athlone stadium is turning into a nice-looking little stadium, boys! This city needs better sporting facilities.

My only concern is that we are still without a proper athletics arena, now that Green Point has been demolished. Bellville's athletics stadium has only one pavilion on the side, and grass embankments all round. Even Port Elizabeth has a better athletics arena...

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Athlone stadium is turning into a nice-looking little stadium, boys! This city needs better sporting facilities.

My only concern is that we are still without a proper athletics arena, now that Green Point has been demolished. Bellville's athletics stadium has only one pavilion on the side, and grass embankments all round. Even Port Elizabeth has a better athletics arena...
The Green Point Urban park will include two athletics tracks. At the moment there is no need for a major athletics venue.

There is VygiesKraal, Stellenbosch is quite good.
If CT ever goes the route of the olympics, a temporary stadium scaled down to a 15,000 seat athletics venue will have to do.
The city also needs sports facilities to be maintained. And the area arounds facilities to be improved in all regards

·
Proximamente CASAHUS.COM
1,201 Posts
Hello guys, i am from Mexico and I allways post in my country's threads. However tonight I felt like surfing through your countries threads and they are amazing. For example i feel that if you are bulding the remaining part of the stadium right now it will be completed way ahead of planning. Before 2009 i guess.
Look like you guys are going to prepare a great worldcup and i am really looking forward to see your nice country in 2010 with my wife.
thanks and good luck with the preparations.

·
Karoo Prime
1,219 Posts
The Green Point Urban park will include two athletics tracks. At the moment there is no need for a major athletics venue.

There is VygiesKraal, Stellenbosch is quite good.
If CT ever goes the route of the olympics, a temporary stadium scaled down to a 15,000 seat athletics venue will have to do.
The city also needs sports facilities to be maintained. And the area arounds facilities to be improved in all regards
I know there are many good tracks... Vygiekraal, Coetzenburg, Bellville, Parow, UWC, CPUT (Bellville) are all synthetic surface tracks. But nothing like old Greenpoint, which had seating all the way round.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Before the expansion, the stadium had a capacity of 30,000. What was Athlone stadium like when it was built in 1972?

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before the expansion, the stadium had a capacity of 30,000. What was Athlone stadium like when it was built in 1972?
Well i think it just had a very basic main grand stand.
The old stadium was demolished, before this final phase of the new stadium capacity was 25,000. I think once the north and south stand are complete the stadium might hit 40,000.

Its actually quite impressive driving by or from a distance..esp at night.

·
ba doom tsh
434 Posts
The streets surrounding the stadium still look pretty seedy though...

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The streets surrounding the stadium still look pretty seedy though...
Its not dangerous, it has more to do with a lack of maintenance.
Will all have to be cleaned up when it becomes a 2010 fan park.
The stadium is amazing from the street or parking area.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stadium info:

Roof: A light roof structure hanging off a 192 m free spanning arch girder, 6,1 m wide and 5,5 m high, fabricated from circular hollow sections. This girder was erected about 38 m above the ground, using four mobile cranes, in a single operation. The 35 m roof rafters are suspended from the main girder.

Where was CEPA complaining about the monstrous height looming over nearby homes?

1 - 20 of 181 Posts