SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!
1,432 Posts
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (IATA: ATL, ICAO: KATL) is located in the Atlanta, Georgia, USA metropolitan area, and is the busiest airport in the world both in terms of number of passengers as well as the number of takeoffs and landings, surpassing Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. It accommodated 980,197 takeoffs and landings in 2005, and handled 88.4 million passengers according to projections. Many of these flights are domestic flights from within the United States where Atlanta serves as a major transfer point for flights to and from smaller East Coast cities. As such, it has been the subject of an old joke stating that it doesn't matter where one will go in the afterlife; they will connect through Atlanta to get there. As an international gateway to the United States Hartsfield-Jackson ranks seventh; JFK International in New York City is first.[1]

The airport is located partly within the southern city limits of Atlanta and is adjacent to the city of College Park, Georgia, which is south of the city limits of Atlanta. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is the primary hub of Delta Air Lines and AirTran Airways. The airport is located within Fulton and Clayton Counties.

And with the new runway and the new terminal in about 10 years Atlanta will have a total of about 120 million passengers per year estimated. Currently Atlanta has 89 million passengers per year.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I went through hell in this airport summer of 2003. Horrible. The people who work there have to be the most unfriendly and apathetic douchbags that I've ever seen. I understand they have a stressful job, but they are just ASSHOLES.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Total 2005 passengers 4.2 million
Total 2005 mail volume 55 million pounds
Total 2005 cargo volume 137 million pounds
Twenty-one jet service air carriers
One commuter air carrier
Seven freight carriers
Approximately 92 daily air carrier departures
Nineteen non-stop cities
Total land area 2,650 acres
Total terminal building area 368,000 sq.ft.
Total number of boarding gates 20 (1-10 South / 11-20 North)
Located four miles northeast of downtown Omaha
Omaha Airport Authority was created in 1959
Authority is governed by five member appointed board
Moody’s “A1 Stable”
S&P “A+ Stable”
Runway 14R 9,502 feet x 150 feet CAT IIIB - 600' RVR
Runway 32L 9,502 feet x 150 feet CAT I 250' - half mile visibility
Runway 18 8,013 feet x 150 feet CAT I 250' - half mile visibility
Runway 36 8,153 feet x 150 feet CAT I 250' - half mile visibility
Runway 14L 8,500 feet x 150 feet VFR only
Runway 32R 8,500 feet x 150 feet CAT IIIB - 600' RVR
Elevation 983' / Latitude 41° 18.12'N / Longitude 95° 53.62'W
http://www.eppleyairfield.com/sf/default.htm

Omaha's airport is more interesting - let's talk about their airport instead.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It's a a compensation for other size issues :).......... :jk:

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
The more notable stats that truly represent the power and sexiness of the city is number one in origin and destination and number one in internation visitors.

Those illustrious titles go to LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
why is ATL's airport so crowded?

It's hard trying to go through all those people when you're in a hurry. it's lame when you're next flight is in Concourse E and you're in Concourse A.
:wallbash:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Please..............

if NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago wouldn't have so many other aiports to serve them, then they would be number one. But instead of having another aiport to help the flow of things, they just keep building up the same one. Its a shitty one at that, terribly run, and I have had many bad experiences threw there.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Atlanta's airport sucks. The airport is just for connections. It's not really an international airport, and all you have their is Delta. That's why we don't fly Delta. To go to LA, from Houston, you have to first fly to Atlanta. Really dumb.

·
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually...

Atlanta Airport is not really a connections airport...45% of the people that go through Atlanta come out of the airport...The other 55% use it as a connection airport....And even though we do have DElta...Delta was officially the largest carrier in the world...And Air Tran that is the youngest boeing airline...The day that the new terminal is done and Air Tran grows along with the Atlanta Airport we will be the connection city of the world...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
^^^So that is a connection airport if more than half of the people are on connection flights.

And I would love to be the connection city of the world. :| . People don't want to come here, they just are connecting on their way to NYC or LA.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Trae said:
^^^So that is a connection airport if more than half of the people are on connection flights.

And I would love to be the connection city of the world. :| . People don't want to come here, they just are connecting on their way to NYC or LA.
lol... we were connecting from Rochester to Raleigh. (That's right, Delta is so proud of their shitty homebase airport that they actually make you fly FARTHER away from you destination to see it, and then give you hell for 7 hours there saying that your boarding pass isn't valid and make you go stand in a line to get another one for a plane that has already overbooked) Scew that damn airport and screw Delta. It's true, the only reason Atlanta is such a big ass and busy airport is because it is the only one serving a large population area. New York has 3 major airports right in the city (and Newark) as well as a decent sized hub in Islip Long Island.... Chicago has Ohare and Midway, and LA has LAX, Ontario, and many others.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
When I had to go that airport from Newark Intl on 4/7, it was delayed to air control problems there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ROCguy said:
I went through hell in this airport summer of 2003. Horrible. The people who work there have to be the most unfriendly and apathetic douchbags that I've ever seen. I understand they have a stressful job, but they are just ASSHOLES.
Eh. Phoenix was worse yet. The guy at the counter was practically asleep.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
The picture of the airport looks nice!

However, looks can be deceiving... sure, they might be the busiest in the world, but the greatest service, oh no...

It is better to have more than 1 airport to make things flow easier than to make one and be the the busiest in the world...

1 - 20 of 150 Posts