SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some interesting info I found if you havent found it already sry if its a double thread.

The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) recently held its annual State of the Region Breakfast where it examined the “Shape of Things to Come.” For more information, go to the ATLANTA REGIONAL COMMISSION WEBSITE

Looking to the year 2030, here are some highlights of the shape of things to come:

Population in the metro area will increase by 2.3 million between 2000 and 2030 for a total of 6,005,288 residents.

Jobs will increase by 1.2 million between 2000 and 2030 for a total of 3,310,004.

Because of the aging of the baby-boom generation, the median age of the area's population will increase from 32.2 years in 2000 to 36.5 years in 2030. Large numbers of young, job-seeking in-migrants, however, will keep median age in below that of the nation's (39.0 years in 2030).

Gwinnett County will add nearly 400,000 residents to lead the region in population growth. Fulton County ranks second with an increase of 320,844, followed by Henry, up 251,189.

Fulton County, adding 294,821 jobs, and Gwinnett, up 229,569, will lead in employment growth. Cobb ranks third with an increase of 181,866. Together these three counties will account for nearly two-thirds of the new jobs.

Henry and Paulding counties rank first and second in average annual growth rates for both population and employment over the 30 year forecast period. Forsyth, Paulding and Cherokee will each grow by more than 150 percent by 2030.

Douglas and Fayette counties are shedding their reputation as small, exurban enclaves. The opening of Arbor Place Mall in 1999 signaled Douglas's arrival as a suburban growth center. Fayette County, though only one of two counties with no direct freeway access, will almost triple its job base by 2030, giving it close to 100,000 jobs.
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the official planning agency for the metro Atlanta region. For more information, please visit ARC's website at www.atlantaregional.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yankee BOY said:
Population in the metro area will increase by 2.3 million between 2000 and 2030 for a total of 6,005,288 residents.
Having seen the recent Census estimates on Atlanta's population. I believe the metropolitan population will likely be somewhere between 8-million and 10-million.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ABrian said:
Having seen the recent Census estimates on Atlanta's population. I believe the metropolitan population will likely be somewhere between 8-million and 10-million.
The Atlanta Regional Commission is a high-level planning board for ten counties in the metro area. Their estimates are only for the population and growth within those ten counties. Several of the fastest growing counties in the metro area are not included, such as Forsyth, Paulding and Coweta.

·
Registered
26 Posts
does anyone think that at some point in the future (before 2030), atlanta will just get too big and it will not be worth it to move there. i feel that way now with just traffic alone. i would require double what i'm paid now at my current job to live there and put up with the commute.

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
There are alot of problems with Atlanta's growth that will catch up with it sooner or later. Because the population is spread out over such a vast area, mass transit will not be extremely cost effective and traffic will become (even more) unbearable than it usually is. Why anyone wants a 2 hour commute to work is beyond me. That's over 1000 hours per year just commuting to and from work. I believe the day will come that either people start moving into the urban core or they will move elsewhere.

·
jupiter
344 Posts
people are starting to move into the urban core

Stange stumbling block...........The state still cannot seem to find a reason to support quaility mass transit. Some things are finally starting to take hold but it is because of the city of Atlanta and a few foreward thinking business leaders.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
waccamatt said:
There are alot of problems with Atlanta's growth that will catch up with it sooner or later. Because the population is spread out over such a vast area, mass transit will not be extremely cost effective and traffic will become (even more) unbearable than it usually is. Why anyone wants a 2 hour commute to work is beyond me. That's over 1000 hours per year just commuting to and from work. I believe the day will come that either people start moving into the urban core or they will move elsewhere.

Or that businesses and work will increasingly move to the burbs. It seems that everybody is forgetting that metro Atlanta is made out of a series of existing towns that can easily become mini cities. Look at Marrieta, Vinings, Peachtree city and even how Buckhead came to be in the past.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Stratosphere 2020 said:
By the way 6 million people by 2030 is an underrated figure. Doesn't Atlanta metro have near the 5 million people right now? My guess is that by 2030 the metro area could easily reach the 7 to 7.5 million people mark.
I would say 7.5 million by 2030 is the minimum it would be. By then I believe traffic will be better, but Atlanta will always have traffic troubles no matter what is done. It is no different than other major cities. People will start to move to the urban core. It is already happening now. Developers can not keep up with the demand for condos and lofts. Look at Atlantic Station and Midtown. The amount of people moving in is unbelievable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most of Atlanta's growth is concentrated in the suburbs. Does anyone know what the population for Atlanta's city limits will be by that time? Right now, it's at 420-430K I believe.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tampa813 said:
Most of Atlanta's growth is concentrated in the suburbs. Does anyone know what the population for Atlanta's city limits will be by that time? Right now, it's at 420-430K I believe.
I did find an ARC estimate for the next 10 - 15 years, they are proposing the city will add 100k in that time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts