·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

-

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Dragon Con has grown into a funky but integral part of Atlanta's Labor Day festivities, along with the college kickoff game. Very "interesting" photos.

·
The Memphian who's in ATL
147 Posts
Some of your vantage points were taken from my job....W Atlanta Midtown....

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Ooo! Nice aerial! Lots of character in the old street shots! I love dressing up as an Imperial Stormtrooper for Halloween!:):cheers:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
I love this aerial! Could someone please lay out what's what in this photo?

·
Like an aged wine
507 Posts
The skyline in the upper right is Buckhead. Heading SW from there is a curved road with high rises and mid rises, and that is Peachtree Street. That is Atlanta's spine and winds all the way down through Midtown into Downtown. Piedmont is also a major artery and connects downtown with midtown with the Lindbergh area (a built up TOD/MARTA stop) with Buckhead's CBD. Several surrounding neighborhoods have park in their name, but the only actual parks I labeled below were the renowned Piedmont Park and Centennial Olympic Park. Midtown is the cultural epicenter of Atlanta and has the famous Fox Theater (near the BofA building just north of SoNo) and the High Museum, as well as the Breman Jewish Cultural Heritage Center and tons of other insitutions (Woodruff Fine Arts Center, SCAD, Georgia Tech, etc). Downtown is the convention hotel and local government center. The state capitol is there, city hall is there, the sports complexes (minus Turner Field which is to the south), and the convention center.

Ponce de Leon and North Avenue heading East (in the center right of the aerial) head to the built up and immensely popular Virginia Highlands and Druid Hills neighborhoods, as well as to Little 5 Points, East Atlanta, the CDC, Decatur, and Emory University.

Going north from Buckhead along the GA-400 is Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, a suburban city with its own skyline, mall, MARTA stops, and neighborhoods. Going north along 75 one would encounter Vinings, which connects to the Buckhead neighborhood via West Paces Ferry (labeled) through the Paces neighborhood on the other side of 75. Vinings has its own skyline, the Cobb Galleria Center, express busses, a mall, Home Depot HQ, Weather Channel HQ, and is its own city.

Bottom line is that Atlanta is huge and sprawling and is just as "long" as S FL, but in a more circumferential layout. Atlanta's downtown and midtown and Atlantic Station would be like Miami's downtown, Edgewater, an Brickell skylines (less residential, much more office). Atlanta's Peachtree leading into Buckhead and the Buckhead CBD would be like Coral Way leading into Coral Gables and that skyline (except in this case Buckhead/Peachtree is soooo much larger and taller). Perimeter would be like Fort Lauderdale (more office, less residential) and Vinings would be like Palm Beach (very similar in size and scope, maybe more office). Decatur and Clairmont are additional submarkets in Atlanta, but S FL also has additional submarkets.

Come up for a visit!! :)

Original Picture by LSyd, unedited can be seen further up in thread.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Thank you! I love the layout of the city. It's a very interesting and different kind of configuration. I'd love to see a night shot of that very same aerial and the pattern of light it creates. :)

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
simms, that's awesome work on my pic.

what's not awesome is that you didn't ask my permission or credit me in your post. please do so and in all future uses of that pic.

-

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
simms, that's awesome work on my pic.

what's not awesome is that you didn't ask my permission or credit me in your post. please do so and in all future uses of that pic.

-
LSyd, it's actually an incredible photograph. It is well-framed and with good resolution from that altitude. How on earth did you get? (Well, actually it wasn't on earth.) I have yet to produce anything like that of Miami. At what altitude did you capture that? Would it be okay if I have both versions for my files, yours and simms awesome work, so that I can better find my way around the next time I'm up there?

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LSyd, it's actually an incredible photograph. It is well-framed and with good resolution from that altitude. How on earth did you get? (Well, actually it wasn't on earth.) I have yet to produce anything like that of Miami. At what altitude did you capture that? Would it be okay if I have both versions for my files, yours and simms awesome work, so that I can better find my way around the next time I'm up there?
thanks man and go ahead. it was on a flight from DFW to Columbia, SC, at about 35,000 feet. the flightpath pretty much follows I-20 so there's lots of opportunities to see cities (Shreveport, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia, plus Dallas and Fort Worth on takeoff.)

i flew that route (and Houston to Columbia, and DFW/Houston to Knoxville, TN) often while in Texas going to visit the fiancee and family so i played around with the best settings to get good resolution. camera was a Nikon D90 with 70-300mm VR lens.

-

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
thanks man and go ahead. it was on a flight from DFW to Columbia, SC, at about 35,000 feet. the flightpath pretty much follows I-20 so there's lots of opportunities to see cities (Shreveport, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbia, plus Dallas and Fort Worth on takeoff.)

i flew that route (and Houston to Columbia, and DFW/Houston to Knoxville, TN) often while in Texas going to visit the fiancee and family so i played around with the best settings to get good resolution. camera was a Nikon D90 with 70-300mm VR lens.
-
That outdoes me! My camera is a Nikon D5000 with a 55-200mm lens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts