Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
12,730 Posts
Lot of misconceptions in this particular site, especially in their depiction of MARTA. It basically paints the picture as if this happens in a political vacuum and MARTA has more power than it truly does. It's one thing to be unhappy with the current model, but another thing entirely to presume alternatives and other options are more easily attained.

The Sierra club and others have suggested they're against the "TSPLOST" because of the supposed lack of transit. Yet to a man every conservative/Tea Party faction opposing the same measure is doing so in part because they feel it puts too much into transit! How are we going to advance the system when the advocates can't even come together incrementally?

Atlanta is in desperate need of an expanded, and truly regional, rail network. Linking with popular destinations like Six Flags and Stone Mtn. would be major coups, as well as reaching into the northern suburbs to give folks in Marietta and Lawrenceville easier access to downtown and the Airport. But there needs to be more cohesive management and something that shifts the model beyond the current form. By the time the outlying counties realize the need is there the costs will have become too egregious and the optimum corridors for rail will be long gone. At least the TSPLOST projects for Atlanta would strengthen in-town options and lend support to the multi-modal hub needed to make a truely regional system more likely and more effective.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Honestly speaking I'm not surprise one bit. To be honest... I would it been shocked if they actually approve it. In the end, those individuals that are opposing this plan are doing so because of the same fears and completely far out misconceptions that have kept it from being build in the past, but now they're using another excused not to do it. Is this going to affect growth in the metro? Nope... But it'll be one of those reasons that its residents are going to regret even deeper, because its going to create a nightmare they're not going to like but hate a lot more. Plus, to an extend even potential residents that are looking to move to Atlanta might be skeptical about the lack of options in transportation. Personally I'm happy I moved to DC instead of Atlanta. Yes, housing is expensive but as long as I got options to get around anywhere I please I don't mind the price and I know a lot of people that felt or feel the same way as well when it came to that decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts