SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/attercliffe_waterside/

Mixed use, residential site in Attercliffe.

Looks like a pretty big project, possibly first large residential scheme in the area inawhile?

A 22-acre urban regeneration site, next to the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal, and billed as one of the most exciting development opportunities in the north of England, has gone on the market.

Acting on behalf of a consortium of three owners in Sheffield, CBRE’s Northern Land and Development team and Sheffield agents Fowler Sandford are marketing Attercliffe Waterside.

It will be familiar to thousands of people who use the canal each week as a popular running and walking route.

Councillor Mazher Iqbal, Cabinet Member for Business and Investment said:

“This is a really important site for the regeneration of Attercliffe and the Lower Don Valley. It is a exciting opportunity for an imaginative team of developers to help us to make the East End of Sheffield a fantastic place to live as well as to build on the existing network of great places to work and play.

“As a proud East Ender, I can’t wait to see these improvements come forward and help to showcase the beauty of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal for a new generation and springboard further regeneration and opportunity across the area.”

The Lower Don Valley is an engine of growth and an industrial powerhouse of national significance. It contains world class advanced manufacturing research and production facilities and a retail, sports and leisure cluster that serves the whole Sheffield City Region including Meadowhall, Ikea, Sheffield Fly DSA Arena, the English Institute of Sport and Ice Sheffield.

The site is located close to the Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park and is ideally positioned to benefit from this huge investment into Sheffield’s regeneration. The OLP will create a unique research and innovation environment for the production of new products, processes and services in healthcare technologies, sports and exercise medicine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/attercliffe_waterside/

Mixed use, residential site in Attercliffe.

Looks like a pretty big project, possibly first large residential scheme in the area inawhile?

Love how they've included the canal and towpaths, access roads and everything in that boundary, just to bump up the acreage I guess.

I need to see something more strategic before I can fully comment. Although the green space is terrible and woefully underused, the new plans should be conditional on increasing the size and scope of, and accessibility to, the canal at this point, and ensuring provision of significant green space throughout the development given that around 10 hectares is apparently being sold. It's a strategic opportunity to naturalise the canal in that section, widen the paths, install a pocket park even. This could be transformational, if approached in the right way. Looking forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. Although the green space is terrible and woefully underused, the new plans should be conditional on increasing the size and scope of, and accessibility to, the canal at this point, and ensuring provision of significant green space throughout the development given that around 10 hectares is apparently being sold. It's a strategic opportunity to naturalise the canal in that section, widen the paths, install a pocket park even. This could be transformational, if approached in the right way. Looking forward to hearing more.
It says further down the article "The site is currently owned by Sheffield City Council, Canal & River Trust and Norfolk Estate" so you would hope the River Trust is really going to push for improvements around here. Only a simple aspiration but it would be great if more of the towpath was paved as opposed to a muddy track.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As another proud 'Eastender' - hopefully a chance to provide high quality housing and start to chip away at disparity between West and East Sheffield.
Loads of trams to Sheffield, Meadowhall and Rotherham from Woodburn road and OLP tram stops. It has the potential to be beautiful down there with the canal and great walks around the area. Ill be watching this development with interest.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quite a large number of units planned for the triangle of land inside the railway junction just beyond Nunnery Square as well, the one just out of shot to the right in the shot above.
You mean the delta junction at Darnall. A little Monday fact - the junction in railway circles has always been called 'Woodburn Junction' (without the 'o'), whereas the road and athletics stadium named after it is spelt Woodbourn Road.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You mean the delta junction at Darnall. A little Monday fact - the junction in railway circles has always been called 'Woodburn Junction' (without the 'o'), whereas the road and athletics stadium named after it is spelt Woodbourn Road.
Oh no - it looks like the line towards Meadowhall / Rotherham on that delta has been pulled up in the past. I hope they dont build on it. You could easily extend the train tram from Chesterfield to Rotherham using the 'old road' with stops at Meadowhall/ Darnall / Waverley / Woodhouse / Southall / Killamarsh-Halfway/ Barrow hill and Stavely.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Oh no - it looks like the line towards Meadowhall / Rotherham on that delta has been pulled up in the past. I hope they dont build on it. You could easily extend the train tram from Chesterfield to Rotherham using the 'old road' with stops at Meadowhall/ Darnall / Waverley / Woodhouse / Southall / Killamarsh-Halfway/ Barrow hill and Stavely.
I almost mentioned this in my earlier post, but since you ask, yes, the 'north-east' connecting track bed is being built on I'm afraid. It very much constitutes parts of the site which will include houses and part of the access road. The application mentions levelling the railway embankment (or filling in the cutting, which ever way round it goes)...

A line such as the one you suggest would be a great way to reduce traffic around the North-East of the Sheffield are and the M1, but I imagine it's such a long way down the list of priorities that it's not worth hanging on to.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I almost mentioned this in my earlier post, but since you ask, yes, the 'north-east' connecting track bed is being built on I'm afraid. It very much constitutes parts of the site which will include houses and part of the access road. The application mentions levelling the railway embankment (or filling in the cutting, which ever way round it goes)...

A line such as the one you suggest would be a great way to reduce traffic around the North-East of the Sheffield are and the M1, but I imagine it's such a long way down the list of priorities that it's not worth hanging on to.
It would have been excellent!! A shame there is no long term thinking - the tram is becoming a bit of a nightmare at city road in peak hours or after United matches. I'm finding it alot quicker to park up and get the train into town from Woodhouse. The park and ride at Nunnery sqaure would be ideal (avoiding road traffic) if you didn't have the madness of driving into town and back out to get parked up which makes it as much use as a chocolate fire guard :-(.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You cannot run trains from Chesterfield to Rotherham without going through Sheffield Midland, the infrastructure does not allow this.
There is a freight line running from Chesterfield to Masborough but there is no link on this line allowing it to go through Rotherham Central.
You could run trains / tram Trains from Chesterfield through Woodhouse to Rotherham, but these trains would have to reverse at Woodburn Junction, doing that misses out the main customer base at Sheffield Midland, so very unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You cannot run trains from Chesterfield to Rotherham without going through Sheffield Midland, the infrastructure does not allow this.
There is a freight line running from Chesterfield to Masborough but there is no link on this line allowing it to go through Rotherham Central.
You could run trains / tram Trains from Chesterfield through Woodhouse to Rotherham, but these trains would have to reverse at Woodburn Junction, doing that misses out the main customer base at Sheffield Midland, so very unlikely to happen.
I think that was Rugster's point, that the proposal to build on the eastern chord of the Woodburn Jcn delta junction prevents the theoretical tram-train (or could even just be a plain 'train') route you describe (via Woodhouse) - forcing a reverse near Nunnery so to use the remaining Woodburn Jcn west chord.

As Rugster also points out though, though the trackbed is currently extant, the rails of the eastern chord are already pulled up; I think they have been for about 10 years to be honest! Clearly there's no chance of reinstating the track on that chord if I gets built on.

That said, I don't think that east chord would ever be needed - there are other options, plus the only way you can extend the recent housing development at Darnall onto the large triangle of wasteland in the centre of the junction delta (the future housing development that SWN mentions above), is to build right across that chord, so that the future housing is joined to the existing - a couple of bridges over the cutting in which the chord sits would have led to effective severance. Building across the trackbed / infilling the cutting is probably a necessary evil.

As Gerry says, it would be hard to justify a direct Chesterfield to Rotherham train or tram-train service without it calling at central Sheffield en-route to increase ridership to viable levels - and by far the quickest route for that (subject to available capacity) is using the MML New Road via Bradway Tunnel and Sheff Midland station, not the Old Road through Staveley.

However, in future, if more housing is built around Killamarsh, Staveley, Woodhouse, Beighton, Darnall, etc you might be able to justify a service from Chessie or Clay Cross to East and Central Sheffield via the Old Road, with a stop at Waveley and maybe a better positioned station for Darnall. Whether that goes into Midland or continues to a stop at Victoria then onto the Upper Don Valley, is neither here nor there. If you wanted to go from Chessie to Roth, then you could use this service and change somewhere in SE Sheff onto an all new mass-transit line / service to complete your journey to Roth Central.

The new SE Sheff to Roth mass transit service could be a bus from Waverley (Highfield Spring) across the AMP and AMRC, to Meadowhall, and onto Roth. Or it could be a new tram line from Waverley taking a similar route, but joining the existing tram-train line at Meadowhall South.
Or it could be a tram train from Beighton up to Treeton Jcn on the Old Road, then on relaid rail track to the southern end of the old Tinsley Marshalling Yard, then via new tram track onto the Sheff Bus Park before re-joining the rail line from TMY and onto Roth Central.
In all these options, this 'mass transit' service would have started in Central Sheffield (a viable Sheff-Roth service) before reaching SE Sheffield, where the Chesterfield/Staveley/Killamarsh Old Road passenger would change.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
^^ part of the conceptual 'SCR Mass Transit' network diagram schematic better illustrates what I try to describe above, albeit in schematic format only. Or rather it would in theory if any of the images of the diagram on the web were legible. Here's a version on it on Rothbiz's Twitter page; I think he did once post a slightly higher res version on another Sheffield SSC forum thread.
You can just make out a new 'line' from Waverley to Meadowhall then Rotherham, and another from Treeton (branching off MML Old Road) to Meadowhall:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Austen/status/1036665427152302082

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It would make a lot of sense if it the train tram ran from chesterfield to the upper don valley, aligned to new housing developments, park and rides etc. Nunnery square could be used by commuters wanting to get to Rotherham/ Meadowhall/ sheffield. Could potentially take pain off already congested car routes if it was planned properly

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/business/attercliffe-waterside-development-plot-in-sheffield-nets-nine-bidders-1-9803277

News expected in July on preferred bidder

City council officials are whittling the list down and expect to announce a winner in July. The plot spans the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal and is bounded by Worthing, Woodbourn, Staniforth and Attercliffe roads. It went on the market in March. The decision will be closely scrutinsed by Attercliffe Action Group which is keen to see high quality projects in the area. Co-founder David Slater said: “Attercliffe Waterside offers enormous potential – if the decision-makers in Sheffield get it right then the Attercliffe Gateway can once again be a vibrant community where people want to be. “Who wouldn’t fancy living by the canal, being close to work and enjoying the abundance of leisure and retail experiences and green spaces within walking distance . “Attercliffe deserves this kind of attention and it will be a place Sheffield can be proud of.” The site is next to a tram stop and close to Sheffield Arena, Meadowhall, IKEA and the emerging Olympic Legacy Park. Sheffield Hallam University has a growing stake in the area, it owns the athletics track on Woodbourn Road, the English Institute of Sport, the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre and the under-construction National Centre of Excellence for Food Engineering. Mr Slater previously said he wanted to see homes for workers at the new developments including “university researchers and industrialists who don’t have to come across from the comforts of the west side of the city.” He added: “Attercliffe needs someone to develop housing for owner-occupiers. But it should be sold with an agenda, not sold to the highest bidder.” The land is owned by Labour-controlled Sheffield City Council, the Canal & River Trust and Norfolk Estates who teamed up to put the plot on the market. James Lazarus, head of joint ventures on behalf of Canal & River Trust said: “This is an example of the trust using our landholding as a catalyst to bring forward transformational urban regeneration schemes that can really encourage the use of our waterways and improve the wellbeing of people living locally.”

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I really hope it’s high quality housing to address the West / East in balance in Sheffield. Could be a lovely spot near the beautiful canal with great connectivity.
Important it’s freehold owner occupied - leave the flats to the city centre please.
Does anyone know how many houses will be built on the site potentially? Is Waverley 3900?? Would be good to get a scale of the plans.

·
11,778 Posts
I remember plans being banded around for major redevelopment in Attercliffe in the late 90s. Completely forgotten about it. Hopefully, something worthwhile finally sees the light of day. Look forward to hearing some more soon.

·
11,778 Posts
They must be looking at building a lot of family housing as part of this development. 370 homes seems quite a low number when you consider the size of the site and that they're aiming for 8 storey blocks in certain locations. I know it's mixed-use but much of the other uses will be ground floor with apartments above I would have thought.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts