College
2x Champions:
1957, 2010

opened 1939

Reactions: will101 and EPA001

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Auburn planning Jordan-Hare Stadium upgrades, largest video scoreboard in college football
Auburn University's Board of Trustees will meet Friday to approve or deny the construction of a 200-foot wide scoreboard, which is expected to cost an estimated $13.9 million, according to documents.

"If what we are intending to do is approved, it'll be the biggest video board in college football," Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs told AL.com.

Jacobs said the video board above the south end zone will measure roughly 200-feet wide and 55- to 57-feet tall, which would surpass Texas A&M's recently-installed board that measures 7,661 square feet. Exact dimensions for Auburn's video board were not included in documents provided to Auburn's trustees. The scoreboard will be operational in August 2015 if the project is approved Friday.

·
Registered
650 Posts
An "Estadio Jose Amalfitani" bigger that speaks english

·
12,264 Posts
That just looks so depressing. I'm beginning to miss the days when stadiums never had any screens inside.

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
I don't see what the problem with the smaller scoreboard is...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well to be honest about the problem with the smaller scoreboards is that I know a guy who has season tickets on the upper bowl 6 rows from the top. He can stay home and have a better view of the game on his 70'' than from his seats with the additions of replay, being able to see the ref's signal when his mic isn't working, etc. Now for somebody like him or me that's not a problem, but for an ever increasing amount of people it is which is causing the demand for tickets to go down and therefore harder for AU to charge so much for them. The larger screens are simply to level the playing field so that someone at the game can get and properly see everything they can at home with the addition of the atmosphere of a live gameday, therefore increasing demand. Basic Economics =)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well to be honest about the problem with the smaller scoreboards is that I know a guy who has season tickets on the upper bowl 6 rows from the top. He can stay home and have a better view of the game on his 70'' than from his seats with the additions of replay, being able to see the ref's signal when his mic isn't working, etc. Now for somebody like him or me that's not a problem, but for an ever increasing amount of people it is which is causing the demand for tickets to go down and therefore harder for AU to charge so much for them. The larger screens are simply to level the playing field so that someone at the game can get and properly see everything they can at home with the addition of the atmosphere of a live gameday, therefore increasing demand. Basic Economics =)
Yep. You know what would also increase ticket demand? Fewer media timeouts. When I DVR a game I can watch it in about an hour. And most likely you will rarely see this big screen being used as the renderings show. What you'll see is 1/3 or so being used for advertising 99% of the time.

Runaway ticket prices haven't helped either.

·
Unregistered User
2,586 Posts
I won't lie, I have pretty good vision so I never consider things like that. I used to have Redskins season tickets and I'd sit way high up without any problems but I can see other people struggling. And that old scoreboard FedEx Field had? Ugh, what a POS.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yep. You know what would also increase ticket demand? Fewer media timeouts. When I DVR a game I can watch it in about an hour. And most likely you will rarely see this big screen being used as the renderings show. What you'll see is 1/3 or so being used for advertising 99% of the time.

Runaway ticket prices haven't helped either.
Again, $$$. Auburn Athletics ran at a $13 million deficit in 2014. They need those timeouts so ESPN can pay them for the SEC Network deal just as much as they need to put advertising on the scoreboard to cover that $13 Million. Its a numbers game with changing demographics. Adapt or fall behind and become the Kentucky of the SEC West

·
Registered
54 Posts
What are they going to do with the old scoreboard and pictures? Any chance they move them to the north end? North End seems kind of bland with having that huge screen at the other end.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts