SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
Pity NZ doesnt have any cricket venues worthy of world cup status :lol:

- Seddon Park is tiny
- The Basin is run down to the dogs (still very much love it though, long live the Basin)
- McLean Park, Eden Park and Westpac Stadium are rugby venues and in my view should never ever host international cricket matches

Still very much looking forward to NZ hosting though, should be fun. Hopefully our Blackcaps have a decent team by then too.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
A test venue cant be open to the public that many days a year. Playing surfaces are maintained to absolute perfection so during the summer months the whole ground (or maybe just the pitch block) would be shut off from the general public.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
The pitch block would obviously need to be prepared some time out or a drop in used. The outfield would need less time to be groomed but would obviously need a few days before hand for repairing divets, clearing debris, mowing and laying down the sponsors logos. So all up you might need a few weeks for the pitch preparation plus a week or so for the outfield.
Yes, true that. Suppose it would only be out of action for 1 or 2 weeks.

But surely, if Auckland wants a new cricket venue, it should be fit enough for all forms of the game (rather than just test matches which seems to be what people are discussing) plus fit enough for all levels of the game, ie international and domestic matches. Auckland needs a new HOME of Auckland cricket, a place for all of Auckland's cricket, like a Seddon Park or Basin Reserve, end of story.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
Ellerslie Racecourse is something out of leftfield. Not a bad idea.

Just had a look on goolge maps to check the size of the place - didnt realise there's a 9 hole golf course occupying the place. When did that happen :lol:

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
A sports park would be fantastic. I like the idea of everything in the one area, not just stadia, but training, conference and admin facilities too.

I wouldnt have ODI's played at a 60k venue though. Cricket should be played in cricket venues only. Only 5-10k turn up to ODI's anyway, maybe 20k if it's vs Aussie, whats the point of hosting in such a huge venue.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
lol sort it out Auckland.

I'm a huge fan of moving all cricket away from Eden Park, cricket should be played in cricket venues. I was an advocate for Western Springs as the new home but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a bad location. The transport links are poor, a few buses go past sure but the area is already super busy with traffic it'd be a nightmare for pedestrians. Plus the cliff to the north and huge trees would surely block out the sun for most of the day making playing conditions difficult and the ground damper that it should be.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
Big surprises in the venue announcements. Love that NZ gets 50% of the games despite only having 3 proper cricket grounds and 1 with any sort of capacity.

And how the hell did Nelson get into the mix :lol: They've never hosted an international game before so surprising to see they were picked ahead of Queenstown.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
I find it strange that North Harbour is the main venue for this tournament. How many does it hold, 20,000? Surely Wellington would be the better option with its bigger stadium and proven support for all things football.

Oh well, should be a good tournament and opportunity for NZ to showcase as a country. Hope people get behind it.

· Kiwi in London
680 Posts
I haven't been to Stanley St but I have a love-hate affair with it when I look at it on TV.

It looks "boutique", old-school, atmosphere good - overall a place I would like to go (going to try next week).

But I also look at it and it reminds me of every half-baked piece of sports infrastructure in Auckland, with the exception of Vector Arena.

While a roof would be good, how often is it impacted by rain this time of year? I would have preferred a rebuild to something more symmetrical but either is good. I suppose a cover means more use all year round, even corporate events in winter.
THIS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.