SkyscraperCity Forum banner

AUCKLAND | Sports City

133184 Views 760 Replies 71 Participants Last post by  Rob73
G
Ironman to showcase city's landmarks

20 NOV 11 20°C TRIATHLON by Urban+Explorer, on Flickr​

A major Ironman event with an almost $100,000 prize pool will be hosted in Auckland next year and will showcase the best the city has to offer. Ironman 70.3 will be held in January and will be the official Asia Pacific Championships and provide athletes with an additional opportunity to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Las Vegas. The event, which will take in iconic Auckland landscapes with a swim in the Viaduct Harbour, a bike course that includes the Harbour Bridge and a run along the waterfront, is expected to attract 1200 athletes. Over $94,000 in prizes are up for grabs. "New Zealand and Auckland hold a special place in the history of Ironman and the sport of triathlon," Andrew Messick, CEO of World Triathlon Corporation said.

"When the Ironman team began to expand the event series globally, Auckland was chosen as the first international venue. "Over the years, New Zealand has embraced the sport of triathlon with an unmatched enthusiasm while producing incredible talent. It's fitting to bring a major championship to New Zealand and to the magnificent city of Auckland." Auckland was the first international race venue chosen when the Ironman brand began its global growth in the mid-80's. Ironman New Zealand was staged here for 14 years, based at Mission Bay and then St Heliers, before moving to Taupo in 1999. Today there are more than 30 Ironman and 60 Ironman 70.3 races worldwide.

Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) believes the event will boost city coffers and its' January 20 timing during Auckland's New Year programme was "well placed". "It's been nearly 30 years since Auckland hosted the inaugural Ironman event and we are delighted to be back on the international calendar, providing exclusive access to a world-class course," ATEED's Acting General Manager Destination, Jennah Wootten said. Ironman legend Cameron Brown believes the new event will be a major boost for the sport and the city. "Much of my passion for the sport came from those days as a kid watching Ironman from along the Auckland waterfront," Brown, 10-time Ironman New Zealand Champion said.

"To now have the opportunity to race in an Ironman 70.3 event in my home town, and a major championship at that, is going to be very special. I can only hope a whole new generation of young kiwis get the same buzz from Ironman 70.3 Auckland and take up the sport. " The event will be based at the Viaduct Events Centre. The course comprises a 1.9km one-lap swim in the Viaduct Harbour, a 90km bike course over the Harbour Bridge followed by a two-lap city section to St Heliers, and a 21.1km two-lap run along the Auckland waterfront. The finish line will be in the heart of Wynyard Quarter with the stunning city skyline as a backdrop.
21 - 40 of 761 Posts
That's an awful proposal basically proposes to turn the end of the wharf into a flat boring paved surface. No thanks. Leave it to the people who are doing such at agreat job at present at creating spaces people want to visit. These MOA+I people, whom, I've never heard of before don't have much of a vision IMO.
It looks so much better and more practical than Eden Park No 2. If Auckland Cricket Assoc. don't like this one then the cricket fans of the area may as well make Sneddon Park their choice of venue. It looks unique kind of like the flashy stadiums of Dubai and Abu Dhabi and will add make the area so much more attractive.
I get the feeling Lee Germon needs the fans of Auckland for his proposal in Chch and Auckland needs the likes of a Lee Germon.
The project if it were built by another part may be ok, in my opinion, if you allow me to say ... I leave the wynyard quarter for best and symbolic building and green space :) rather than just a cricket stadium :eek:hno:
So let me get this straight. We can't put it in an existing park as that would be closing it off to the public, we can't build a new park because that makes it boring? WTF are we supposed to do? Maybe we shouldn't have cricket at all in Auckland. Let's move the Aces to a city that will appreciate them, perhaps New Plymouth. They can have our ODI's as well cause we aren't going to do shit to promote our summer sport here. We are already the laughing stock of Australasia. The only major city without a dedicated cricket ground.
That's an awful proposal basically proposes to turn the end of the wharf into a flat boring paved surface. No thanks. Leave it to the people who are doing such at agreat job at present at creating spaces people want to visit. These MOA+I people, whom, I've never heard of before don't have much of a vision IMO.
Article from NZ Herald on Proposed Cricket Stadium

First there was Victoria Park, now backers desperate to see test cricket return to Auckland at a suitable venue have come up with another option - the end of the Tank Farm. Former test cricketer Greg Loveridge and Robt Jones Holdings colleague David Rankin have a vision to turn the land at the end of the Tank Farm into a world-class oval that would also be capable of hosting concerts and small festivals. They have high-profile backing, too, with Martin Crowe saying he hadn't felt this excited about the prospects for cricket for a long time. "Auckland clearly needs a new test ground," Rankin said. "It's a problem that needs to be solved. "The fact the council is even proposing a new ground is a clear illustration the city needs a ground." But Rankin and Loveridge believe a move to Albany, as proposed in a discussion document released last month by Regional Facilities Auckland, would be a disaster. "The ground needs to be close to the CBD, it needs to be where your population base is," Rankin said.

Crowe, arguably New Zealand's greatest batsman, said the waterfront near the city was the perfect location. He met up with Rankin and Loveridge, a one-test cricketer in the 1990s, and liked what he saw. "It has real merit," he said. "With modern technology, you can have it as a public space and transform it into a test ground so quickly. But the key is the ability for people to walk down from work at lunchtime and after work. It would be magical." Last month, television personality Jeremy Wells went public with his plan to transform the city end of Victoria Park into an oval capable of hosting test cricket, which quickly gathered high-powered support. Wells saw the advantages being its proximity to the CBD, which would attract lunchtime and after-work crowds; its location near the new Wynyard Quarter entertainment and dining precinct; the opportunity to showcase Auckland in a positive light to potential tourists for five to 10 days a year and the relatively low cost of player facilities and grass banks. The plan met with overwhelming public support in an online poll and feedback to this newspaper.

Rankin says the motivations for putting an oval on the Tank Farm mirrored the Victoria Park project, but it had two significant advantages: it would cause no disruption to club cricket and there were already plans to turn the Tank Farm into a park. "The initial plan was for a simple embankment only, which should keep the cost down to that comparable with the planned headland park," Rankin said. "With further funds we would ultimately envisage a small stand which also doubles as a sound stage. This could be used for concerts, which further positions the ground as an asset for all of the city, not just for cricket lovers. "Apart from 10 days of test cricket a year, the public would have full access to the park. "In reality, it would immediately be one of the great cricket grounds of the world. It would be surrounded by water on three sides, with the cityscape as a background. "It would offer a terrific advertisement for the city and country to viewers in the likes of the UK, Australia, South Africa and India."

The proposed headland park is mooted for beyond 2020 but Rankin hopes the opportunity to create a sports and city legacy might push the timing forward. Wells said he had seen the plans and thought they looked exciting. "Obviously I think Victoria Park is more viable, particularly in the short term, but it is great that we are getting people with ideas committed to getting test cricket back to Auckland and into the CBD," Wells said. Auckland last hosted a test in 2006, though Eden Park with its postage-stamp straight boundaries has controversially been allocated a test between New Zealand and England next season. Auckland Cricket is tied to Eden Park through legislation and has made it clear it will not move.
G
I love the architecture but I would rather see a fantastic iconic building there that can be used 365 days a year by everybody and not just sports fans.
I support the entire sentence :lol:
I love the architecture but I would rather see a fantastic iconic building there that can be used 365 days a year by everybody and not just sports fans.
Agreed. The stand looks great and I hope it can be incorporated into apermanent test ground somewhere else. I would prefer this space to be a park first, with an iconic building later with a grass perimeter linking directly to the waters edge.

In saying that, and on the basis the site could be cleared and decontaminated with 3yrs, I wonder whether we could do something temporary for the 2015 cricket world cup? Build temporary stands and a large embankment and have a drop in pitch. It would just be for the duration of the tournament. Imagine the world wide exposure to Auckland in cricket mad countries like on the subcontinent. Views in every direction no matter what part of the ground the live cameras are following.
Test cricket in Auckland will never happen. We're done. Albany is too far away from the city, Western Springs has been ruled out, Eden Park has terrible atmosphere, Colin Maiden can't be developed due to size constraints, Avondale will most likely remain a horse track for the foreseeable future, Victoria Park and the Domain take public land and Wynyard Quarter is ruled out because it's not 'stylish enough'. We're running out of options. I hope NZ Cricket pull out of Auckland altogether. We simply don't deserve top flight cricket in this city.
As the biggest city in the country, Auckland should have a permanent test venue, notba temporary ground. The issue is Auckland cricket - you can't really justify a ground which is only used 10 days a year. However if the domestic team was based there, that's a different story.

The only way I see Auckland Cricket relenting is after the England tests at Eden Park, NZC doesn't hand the region anymore tests. In that regard, supporters need to send Auckland Cricket a message - they can no longer tolerate the lack of test cricket.
G
Chin up old chap ... there is always a solution. Having met you I know that you would rather it be some where else than Wynyard Quarter. I love your optimism and enthusiasm .... don't falter now ;)
Test cricket in Auckland will never happen. We're done. Albany is too far away from the city, Western Springs has been ruled out, Eden Park has terrible atmosphere, Colin Maiden can't be developed due to size constraints, Avondale will most likely remain a horse track for the foreseeable future, Victoria Park and the Domain take public land and Wynyard Quarter is ruled out because it's not 'stylish enough'. We're running out of options. I hope NZ Cricket pull out of Auckland altogether. We simply don't deserve top flight cricket in this city.
they are rubbish anyway so why would anybody want to accomodate them haha.. they need to learn how to win again before they get anything
Team New Zealand launch new yacht

Team New Zealand brought a national feel to their America's Cup campaign by naming their giant new catamaran 'New Zealand' at a christening ceremony in Auckland. A large crowd gathered in the Viaduct Basin for the occasion and dignitaries included Prime Minster John Key. The government has provided $34m in funding as TNZ look to regain the cup in San Francisco next year. The 72-foot catamaran was launched with skipper Dean Barker's wife Mandy splashing it with champagne. Simultaneously, fireworks lit the sky as 18 months of work by the design and build teams were revealed for all to see.

TNZ managing director Grant Dalton said the night could not have happened with the support of the government and sponsors who backed the team with such enthusiasm. "New Zealanders should be proud that their team attracts the support of these major international companies," Dalton said. "The same can be said for the international designers, engineers and analysts who augmented our design team. "We are proud of what we have achieved so far, working in a tin shed in Auckland. "We carry the New Zealand flag sponsors' brands proudly and pledge that the mission of every member of this team is to bring the America's Cup back to New Zealand." TNZ will begin testing the catamaran in Auckland this week. They are only allowed 30 days on the water before January 31 under cup rules.
To clarify, it is irrelevant to me where a cricket ground is built, I don't even like the sport. That said I can appreciate that other people would like a venue somewhere. However, attempting to take over a public park such as Victoria Park for a cricket grounds is not going to fly. In addition, plonking a field on the end of Wynward Wharf is also a poor use of the space. The 'design' shown here makes no reference to where it's located and consists of a field surrounded by flat uninteresting paved surfaces - it's completely out of touch with the design oriented development going on at the moment in the tank farm. There's no destination there and outside of cricket matches it'll be a desolate and peopleless place.

Whether Auckland is the laughing stock of anyone is irrelevant and merely your opinion.

So let me get this straight. We can't put it in an existing park as that would be closing it off to the public, we can't build a new park because that makes it boring? WTF are we supposed to do? Maybe we shouldn't have cricket at all in Auckland. Let's move the Aces to a city that will appreciate them, perhaps New Plymouth. They can have our ODI's as well cause we aren't going to do shit to promote our summer sport here. We are already the laughing stock of Australasia. The only major city without a dedicated cricket ground.
Look at it - this isn't a design it's a complete failure at design. Flat boring spaces with a field stuck in the middle.
It's not just a problem with Auckland Cricket. The proposal to move the cricket ground to Albany just isn't going to fly. AC know that sales for domestic will be low if they move there. It's just too far away from the core of the city for most people to bother. Auckland Cricket need to be offered the opportunity to lease a decent ground before you can say they are they problem. The ground must be located on the isthmus yet there are few suitable locations. A tough call needs to be made or we should be ready to never see the return of test cricket.
As the biggest city in the country, Auckland should have a permanent test venue, notba temporary ground. The issue is Auckland cricket - you can't really justify a ground which is only used 10 days a year. However if the domestic team was based there, that's a different story.

The only way I see Auckland Cricket relenting is after the England tests at Eden Park, NZC doesn't hand the region anymore tests. In that regard, supporters need to send Auckland Cricket a message - they can no longer tolerate the lack of test cricket.
I just don't see anyway forward anymore. Albany would lead to the end of Auckland Cricket. A test match might draw enough punters to make it financially viable but I can't see any but the biggest supporters making the trek to Albany. Domestic cricket in NZ doesn't have the deep pockets of rugby. Any loss in revenue is keenly felt.
Chin up old chap ... there is always a solution. Having met you I know that you would rather it be some where else than Wynyard Quarter. I love your optimism and enthusiasm .... don't falter now ;)
Why does a tough call need to be made by non-cricket watchers? If the sport is so unpopular that no one watches it then so be it. I also don't see why a ground out at Albany is an issue? Bus connections are pretty good out there. Alternatively, do a deal with the Avondale Racecourse and use that, especially seeing as they supposedly only need it 10 days a year yet expect the whole of Auckland to give a key waterfront development for it.
The ground must be located on the isthmus yet there are few suitable locations. A tough call needs to be made or we should be ready to never see the return of test cricket.
It would take over an hour for people from anywhere but central Auckland or the Shore to bus there. I investigated busing to Albany from Mt Eden and it was over 45 minutes from anywhere further to the periphery it would be longer. Avondale has the correct amount of land for a test match venue if you remove the track. If you don't remove the track the boundaries will be too small to gain accreditation. I also don't expect Auckland to give up anything. The design of Wynyard Quarter calls for a large open space at the end of the point. Simply adding an embankment is not going to affect things too much for most of the year.

http://www.wynyard-quarter.co.nz/Wynyard-Quarter/Images/More-videos/Video.aspx?ID=10
Why does a tough call need to be made by non-cricket watchers? If the sport is so unpopular that no one watches it then so be it. I also don't see why a ground out at Albany is an issue? Bus connections are pretty good out there. Alternatively, do a deal with the Avondale Racecourse and use that, especially seeing as they supposedly only need it 10 days a year yet expect the whole of Auckland to give a key waterfront development for it.
+1 If there is to be a cricket venue in the city, then it must be in Victoria Park. We all know how dull the park is on a non-sports day.
Look at it - this isn't a design it's a complete failure at design. Flat boring spaces with a field stuck in the middle.
21 - 40 of 761 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.