SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's pics from austin on 14 june, as i passed through on my way back from san antonio. traffic was clogged on the interstate downtown due to the biker rally, so i cut off to go to waterloo records and was impressed with the local iranian community protesting the iranian government's handling of the elections over in iran.

i like how new tallest towers always look like the death star when they're nearly topped out...

-

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Nice shots....they had a pretty large Iranian protest in New Orleans and another in Baton Rouge, as well. It's VERY sad that the protests are now quiet and it almost seems the protests were all-for-not. Austin is looking good these days...a little "new" (I'm just one for character and grit) for me, but, it's attractive for what it is...I've had some good times in Austin.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Austin looks good…

As for the protests, now that the media and human rights groups are taking an objective look at the election, it appears that it was not stolen. It is cool to see larger swaths of the Iranian population voicing their opinions publicly; but, apparently the young and educated crowds that we see on TV are still out numbered at the polls. Its not like they were supporting a pro-Western candidate anyway (not that they should).

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.

Austin looks good…

As for the protests, now that the media and human rights groups are taking an objective look at the election, it appears that it was not stolen. It is cool to see larger swaths of the Iranian population voicing their opinions publicly; but, apparently the young and educated crowds that we see on TV are still out numbered at the polls. Its not like they were supporting a pro-Western candidate anyway (not that they should).
i'm not buying it. the numbers still don't add up. i don't doubt that ahmadinejad might've, and probably did win a la bush 2004, but it's the method, results, aftermath and protests that really count, and which the world should pay attention to.

-

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Weird..they said Ahmadinejad isn't their president, where was their vote, and so on...but last time I checked, Austin was not in the middle of Iran. Things could have changed since then, though.

·
Premium Member
Seattle
2,820 Posts
^^ Absolutely Correct.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Wow Iranians in Texas.This is news.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'm just saying, if they love their country so much, hate Ahmadinejad, and want "their vote" (which I doubt these people voted) then why aren't they protesting IN Iran. Why are they protesting on the streets of most American cities? Sounds like someone needs a lesson in effective protesting. We already don't like Ahmadinejad over here.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm just saying, if they love their country so much, hate Ahmadinejad, and want "their vote" (which I doubt these people voted) then why aren't they protesting IN Iran. Why are they protesting on the streets of most American cities? Sounds like someone needs a lesson in effective protesting. We already don't like Ahmadinejad over here.
They have there rights, like it or not.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
They have there rights, like it or not.
OK, first of all, you mean they have THEIR rights.. second of all, what does that have anything to do with what I'm saying? I don't like Ahmadinejad, I think the election was a sham, and I feel for the Iranian protesters. BUT I'm just pointing out the irony and questioning the point in picketing an election in the Middle East with "Where's my vote?" signs in the middle of Austin. Come on, if you can't sort out the baloney, you don't have a pulse.

I know some of them could be Iranian citizens, but I would hope that some of them are also American citizens (being in the middle of Austin), and additionally not all of them are Iranian citizens..probably not even close, and you know it. They're Iranian expatriates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts