Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canberra, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said Australia's military was ready and willing to go to the aid of East Timor.

"Reports we have been getting yesterday and today are that parts of Dili and other parts of the country are descending into violence," he said in Parliament.

Australia has deployed navy ships in waters near Timor as a contingency. New Zealand has put about 30 troops on standby.

"They are on 48 hours' notice ... just in case," New Zealand Defence Force spokesman Mike Shatford said.
I'll I will say is the media doesn't know the half of what is ready to go. It's a lot more than just navy ships. Keep your eyes on Darwin in the near future if the situation continues to worsen.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19233634-23109,00.html

·
Premium Member
9,618 Posts
I'm sure you're in the position to know there Neo, getting a few aircraft movements hey?

Side question, are the Airforce pretty happy about the new C-17s?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aussie Bhoy said:
I'm sure you're in the position to know there Neo, getting a few aircraft movements hey?

Side question, are the Airforce pretty happy about the new C-17s?
hell yeah - in the middle of the night as well. We just started Ex. Aces North today, so it will be hard for the public here to tell what is exercise and what is Timor related. I'll just say that Darwin is starting to resemble Richmond both in the number of aircraft and also personnel. (Not quite, but it's up there!). The base is struggling to handle the huge increase in numbers, they've been here for some time now.

As for the C-17s, every one seems pretty happy about it. At least we won't have to charter the A330s any more, and will have full control ourselves. This is good for all three services, not just the Air Force.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I'll be closely watching the development in East Timor.

Australia and New Zealand will send forces to East Timor as early as tomorrow to end fighting between the military and disgruntled ex-soldiers, Foreign Minister Jose Ramos Horta said today.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/australian-forces-for-east-timor/2006/05/24/1148150318957.html

We sure are involved in the region. Soloman Island and now East Timor, again!

Prevention is best! React now before a mass exodus, then the problem will escelate. So the East Timor government has formally asked for assistance to Alexander Downer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MILIUX said:
I'll be closely watching the development in East Timor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/australian-forces-for-east-timor/2006/05/24/1148150318957.html

We sure are involved in the region. Soloman Island and now East Timor, again!

Prevention is best! React now before a mass exodus, then the problem will escelate. So the East Timor government has formally asked for assistance to Alexander Downer.
I'd say this means we're definitely going. That means work is going to be very interesting tomorrow - lots of military flights to Dili!

Australia is the regional power, like it or not.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Neo said:
I'd say this means we're definitely going. That means work is going to be very interesting tomorrow - lots of military flights to Dili!

Australia is the regional power, like it or not.
There was a good article couple of years ago from Ross Gittins about Australia's expenditure on military compared to its neighbours and whether we are a dominant regional power.

Obviously we have a strong persuit of being a dominant. But being dominant doesn't always make our neighbours smile.

I have dug up so many stuff about military over couple of days. I even got this confidential letter from PM about the legality of starting war. Res. 1441, etc.

I'll try to dig up that article from Gittins.

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
well we have to be dominant. When there's crap brewing in the Pacific, who do they ask help for, or rather, who goes to their rescue? Indonesia? China? No Australia does.

Apparently a batallion will be deployed there in the next 48 hrs

Not helping the bubbling defence expenditure is Johnny's excursions to Iraq

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's going to happen slower than expected. A RAAF Challenger (34SQN) VIP Jet will depart Darwin this afernoon for Dili - from what I can piece together from news reports the aircraft will have the Vice Chief of Defence Force on board, and this will be to negotiate the nature of the deployment, rules of engagement etc.

Contrary to the news there are no c130s in Darwin at the moment (Expect one which has been broken for about 2 weeks) so they'll have to be flown in from down south first - but all the personnel are up here and ready to go.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neo said:
It's going to happen slower than expected. A RAAF Challenger (34SQN) VIP Jet will depart Darwin this afernoon for Dili - from what I can piece together from news reports the aircraft will have the Vice Chief of Defence Force on board, and this will be to negotiate the nature of the deployment, rules of engagement etc.

Contrary to the news there are no c130s in Darwin at the moment (Expect one which has been broken for about 2 weeks) so they'll have to be flown in from down south first - but all the personnel are up here and ready to go.
Well I'm not even going to bother to update my post - there's plenty of info in the news.

Turns out they fixed the broken C130. Perhaps it wasn't broken after all. Perhaps that's what they wanted us to think.

I can't believe how bad this has got so quickly. So much has changed even since my last post.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
renell said:
well we have to be dominant. When there's crap brewing in the Pacific, who do they ask help for, or rather, who goes to their rescue? Indonesia? China? No Australia does.
Some in Australia may complain that they are the only one's "helping out" but let's face it, they probably perfer that to having CHina and Indonesia help out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cee_em_bee said:
YA RECKON WE CAN WIN!?
Win What?

If you mean restore peace in East Timor - no doubt about it.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
its a interesting situation over, there. Im on course at the moment so i dont have a chance of going but in the next month or so when i finish i might be heading to Timor as well, it will be interesting to see what pay is worked out for it. Also the word is that we will be staying till sep next year at least considering elections are in may next year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The situation is Dili is spinning wildly out of control. Behind it all, I suspect, is Indonesia. Why is there no curfew?

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
phh, indonesia have nothing to do with this, and the situation is not spinning out of countrol. Basically they are finding it hard to deal with almost militia fighting, since there is no single enemy to combat it is hard to tell who is friend and who is foe.

Also the reason it appears to be getting worse is mainly due to the increase media presence over there, at first there was only a few media crews over there now theres heaps so theres more coverage and reports coming back.

You would be silly to assume that this problem is going to be solved quickly, basically the country is on the verge of civil war just because there confused about who is actually in charge. The ADF has returned some order but there are still disgruntled people out there who want a change in government after allowing it to get this bad.

I mean seriously, as if having a Prime Minister and President was ever going to work. Both who think they have the power. Expect a long term presence from Australia on this one, though i think it will settle down very quickly.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I feel really sorry for Gusmão! He fought so hard for East Timor, and yet there are a bunch of ungrateful thugs looting the place demanding he resign. I'm glad to see that Australia has deployed troops! Hopefully the peace is restored, and hopefully East Timor can move on.

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
Anton said:
Some in Australia may complain that they are the only one's "helping out" but let's face it, they probably perfer that to having CHina and Indonesia help out.
I think some paternalism feeling still exists among Australians.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
there are other countries helping out, but Australia is the best suited country to help them. Singapore and Malaysia arent in a bad spot either but the logistics of them helping out are a lot worse, the TNI-AL wouldnt take to kindly to a armada of Singaporian vessels or Malasian sailing through there sea-lanes. In saying that they dont want there planes flying above there islands either.

Also its in australias best interest to keep the close neighbors like that away from civil-war. If the were to descend into massive civil unrest then it could only harm australias security position. It would be the perfect spot in terms of people smuggling, illegal fishing and drug running to be based from .

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
TOCC said:
there are other countries helping out, but Australia is the best suited country to help them. Singapore and Malaysia arent in a bad spot either but the logistics of them helping out are a lot worse, the TNI-AL wouldnt take to kindly to a armada of Singaporian vessels or Malasian sailing through there sea-lanes. In saying that they dont want there planes flying above there islands either.
Good points. I don't know myself, but surely there are protocols and arrangements for non-Indonesian military assets (planes, ships) to pass thru it's air/sea space - i mean commercial shipping and air traffic do all the time. Otherwise it's a helluva long trip around. Or maybe there is not such agreement.

tocc said:
Also its in australias best interest to keep the close neighbors like that away from civil-war. If the were to descend into massive civil unrest then it could only harm australias security position. It would be the perfect spot in terms of people smuggling, illegal fishing and drug running to be based from .
Yes, i think there will always be an expectation for Australia to help out - from both within Australia and from East Timor too. On the other hand, there is a certain "moral hazard", the same as the finance sense of the word - ie, you are less likely to act prudently if you know someone will bail you out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts