SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a party but it strikes me how wasteful people are which led me to this when watching hk protest news.

We in the first world have pretty much everything we need and want too much.

How is it that people can starve, not have REAL jobs, no education.

Yet we are endulging in the arts, music, sports etc

How and why should we throw food wastefully, be so ignorant to where we came from. How does civil liberties sound to a starving crowd. Instead of helping other we have inequality rising.

Why and how are people so selfish. Days ago I tried to help a guy by recommending him to church, he was very remorseful after being through a tough including homeless life.

My life is also tough but I remember, "I remember and thou shall not forget", lest we forget also about the sacrifices our great country has endued. Yet this generation care nonetheless but for three second fb fame.

The amount of dole bludgers and work bludgers including the ones too rich to work. Is just disgusting

My family are all supported through centrelink but after they all graduated they now are doctors, lawyers, engineers, ceos, managers.

Life is tough it should be enjoyed but I cant take it anymore. When my life was at risk. People didnt care. Instead they ignored. Why because it wasnt cool.

I respect almost everyone here because at least you guys put effort in to improve things. Kudos to Ryan at least he puts plenty of effort to his arguments

Its not us here im angry about its the lazy ones, the spoilt ones, them gamertards that are over 25 etc

·
Environmental Busybody
9,358 Posts
^^Ancient and modern philosophies say of worrying about what other people do - that the inferior elements in other people's psyches are none of your business. Not sure if it helps, it helped me, though I forget sometimes.

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
You may think me the last to say this but...
When I look at everything available to young generations I don't think they are spoilt. They are born then live adapting to the circumstances around them. Try telling a 21st century child..heck some are now almost adults...that they can't have all the tech they take for granted. It is just the current technology. I saw TV introduced, Small black and white...valve radios and then came tiny transistor radios. Pocket calculators that could add, subtract, multiply or divide...it seemed your slide rule was obsolete ? I don't know if anyone uses a theodolite anymore and if they do it probably has a laser beam...
Some of the things I don't envy are information about everything available to young minds and eyes. Childhood and teenage years are wonderful times yet angst while in it finding yourself and what the worlds about. Now the young are blasted with information about anything and often in the form of brainwashing where they don't get the chance to decide for themselves...I just wish them good luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is all very cyclical isn't it? Like all other "great civilizations" our ancestors (referring to those who set up our systems of government and precursor empires/ nations) out-competed their contemporaries to build more effective institutions (government, judicial and military) that allowed them to co-opt a greater share of the global resources than their respective populations would suggest and used that to build global colonial, military and trade empires with long traditions of stable government, laws, institutions and traditions that allows us to run our society comparatively efficiently and effectively.

Here is Australia (again looking at modern Australia) we are also lucky enough to have our own exceedingly resource rich continent with a comparatively light population and have spent our entire modern period under the protection of the two global super powers who were more than happy to shelter us and foster our own self-determination.

Eventually like all civilizations in history, the drive to keep self-improving diminishes and the focus turns to enjoying the fruits of your predecessors efforts while outsourcing the hard work until someone more motivated, ruthless and effective than us will come and take it away. Maybe we are now in that twilight period of self-indulgence where we generally are just coasting along on the wealth and institutions that our predecessors built up until those 'hungrier' than us take it away :hmm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts