Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(...) Victoria could become the first Australian state to sign a treaty, or treaties, with its Aboriginal residents, and nationally many eyes are on the process.

There are hopes it could complement - or offer a potent alternative to - stalled attempts to recognise Indigenous Australians in the Constitution.

The Uluru Statement from the Heart - the substance of which was swiftly rejected by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull - demanded a commission to supervise a process of “agreement-making” between governments, widely understood as a reference to treaties.

Put simply, a treaty is a formal agreement between Indigenous peoples and those who have colonised their land. It’s not a new concept; since colonisation, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians have asserted their sovereignty and demanded self-determination. And they’ve been promised action before.
Brisbane Times

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
...As long as we keep them in a separate minority group. Make them refer to non Indigenous as Australians as we have respect that the Word Australia is an introduced word. Let them live their culture so don't force things like healthcare education or money. When all this is sorted have a big ceremony burn some gum leaves and the world will be perfect...

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
^^ Baron are you a unique separate minority group? Plus what makes you think healthcare or education is the sole domain and delivered by one group?

Strange title as it has little to do with Waitangi but I would like to see some sort of treaty to recognise Indigenous Australians.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,846 Posts
The statement is quite devastating to read.

I would have thought it would be called the Makarrata Treaty, considering that is the word they're using for the process.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
^^ Baron are you a unique separate minority group? Plus what makes you think healthcare or education is the sole domain and delivered by one group?

Strange title as it has little to do with Waitangi but I would like to see some sort of treaty to recognise Indigenous Australians.
You know my post was tongue in cheek...The thing that baits me is seeing modern Aboriginals manoeuvring all facets of being Australian to fit their preferred position. They want freedom of culture...meaning their long history of standing on the spot while the rest of the world evolved. That's not their fault...they were isolated and as long as food and water was available what else is there ? All Aboriginals that live today have known Australia as it is today. I have an Aboriginal friend who lives life as any of us and doesn't take a cent of welfare because of his racial status. He works, brings his family along the Australian way and is happy with life...in our circle he is just one of us and his family background or colour are of no significance...nobody cares.The rest should have integrated long ago...again, not their fault as they have been kept separate with special arrangements. Some have joined the modern world and have succeeded in the Arts, Politics and Sport...As with African Americans who live in squalor or equal or lauded in US society the individual can rise to where they want to be. Children over decades should not have been held in a time warp. The constant cry of holding onto ritual and customs is crap...we all have ancient forebears but we didn't stay there...So...as I said. When they make up their mind what century they want to exist in give it to them.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The constant cry of holding onto ritual and customs is crap...we all have ancient forebears but we didn't stay there...So...as I said. When they make up their mind what century they want to exist in give it to them.

The ritual of putting up your Christmas tree is that crap? You might have to explain to me what is this "Australian Way" you speak off as well. As for welfare
not sure why you are going on about only Aboriginals when there are something like 5.1 million people receiving income support payments, of whom nearly half (2.4 million) were receiving Age Pensions or Veterans Affairs Pensions. A further 821,000 were on Disability Support Pension, 660,000 were receiving Newstart, and the balance receiving other payments such as Parenting Payments, Carers Payment or Youth Allowance.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
The ritual of putting up your Christmas tree is that crap? You might have to explain to me what is this "Australian Way" you speak off as well. As for welfare
not sure why you are going on about only Aboriginals when there are something like 5.1 million people receiving income support payments, of whom nearly half (2.4 million) were receiving Age Pensions or Veterans Affairs Pensions. A further 821,000 were on Disability Support Pension, 660,000 were receiving Newstart, and the balance receiving other payments such as Parenting Payments, Carers Payment or Youth Allowance.
Your right...The Australian way or culture is vanishing. Then you couldn't know that as you can only relate to the world you exist in. By this I am not angry at you or anyone. I remember a very free carefree time where regulation. rules and laws were basic and out of mind most of the time. Assault, murder, robbery happened but were rarely heard about and it was usually far away.
People were males and females before they became dirty words. And the thought that a guy could just proclaim himself female and it be accepted was unheard of.
Never knew anyone who got divorced and everyone we knew were happy families with most Mums at home rearing their children. You would get home from school and Mum would have some fresh muffins or pancakes and sometimes you got sixpence to go to the milk bar on the corner for a milkshake.
People could do a good days work and buy a house with a big backyard with a hills hoist clothesline that sometimes you swung on but got a whack from Dad if caught...and a car., usually a Holden or Falcon and some had a Valiant or Austin, young blokes often bought a WV beetle, my uncle did...and a big screen 18" TV...black and white...No cooking shows but there was Rin Tin Tin, Superman, Bonanza and IMT each day and Disneyland sunday night. Sometimes the screen would go black then the words News Flash would come up and we heard the Suez canal was going to reopen,the American president was shot dead or our Prime Minister had drowned. Stayed up way late to watch the first ever satellite telecast from the Montreal World Expo televising Australia's Day. The Seekers sang live across the world ! Everyone, most everyone walked to school. I rode a 3 wheel bike 2 miles to kindergarten by myself every day and knew how to press the button at the traffic lights at the major road.
You ate meat and 3 veg most meals and could now and then get fish and chips or take saucepans to the Chinese shop and get boiled cabbage mixed with ???, I think it was called Chowmin ? for a change.
At school you had friends from strange places like Italy or Greece...and some talked like the Queen ? At lunch time you could play marbles or footy...You had your favourite suburban VFL footy team that played every Saturday afternoon nearby.
I didn't like going to the closest town hall to get TB and polio injections then boosters...but most kids were healthy and never heard of allergies ?
We were lucky because we had a caravan that we used to travel far away to places like the Murray River, Lakes Entrance or Warrnambool. We even went to the Snowy Mountains and Canberra once which was over the border ! Then Dad built a holiday house at Sorrento and a speed boat so we went there most weekends and got sunburnt.
You could watch on live TV men walking on the moon and passenger planes flew faster than sound. Melbourne had factories where we made most things from shoes to washing machines or cars...most every house had a fridge and washing machine. We read about Aboriginals at school. They were in a flora and fauna section of our geography lessons...This was life back then, what more could you want ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
A place at the big table with all the other adults, not advisory councils, treaties or preambles. A 7th national state with 12 new Indigenous Senators, fed from a revised ATSIC style representative body.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
seems to me (based on your numbers) that the Australian way of life and culture is now to receive a government handout. Those numbers are frightening to the people and companies who pay taxes in this country

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
seems to me (based on your numbers) that the Australian way of life and culture is now to receive a government handout. Those numbers are frightening to the people and companies who pay taxes in this country
It is for 5.1 million people. Some don't see it as a handout some see it as an entitlement. We have an ageing population so can understand why the government wants people to work longer and why the revenue base is shrinking. As for the Disability Support Pension and for remote Indigenous communities I think it would be better for everyone if we could find more meaningful work for them.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
We are in a state of transition between Pension and Superannuation. Both were seen as forms of part tax or savings for the later years of life. The Pension system is not sustainable with a growing older population without proportionally growing work force. Superannuation should gradually take over completely once all the baby boomers are dead...but, some of us will live forever...I have mentioned before we can't tell about time travel in 2018.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Lets not forget the many thousands of white Australians milking WorkCover for all it's worth while sitting on the couch eating their oxycontin like they're smarties.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
Lets not forget the many thousands of white Australians milking WorkCover for all it's worth while sitting on the couch eating their oxycontin like they're smarties.
Nothing says tolerance better than ragging on sections of the community who are victims of inter generational trauma and disadvantage.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,846 Posts
Which section of the community are you talking about? Taking into account that a representative of the usual suspects attacked the usual victims first.

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts
The section of the community he singled out in his post... Selective empathy at it's worst.

I'm also not sure what Baron's rant has to do with BB's own class chauvinism.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,846 Posts
The point is, why didn't you challenge Baron? He did it first. As soon as someone challenges it, you pounce on it then? In whatever way they've chosen to do it, it's a natural response (as opposed to an unprovoked attack). You can be an arsehole, but as soon as someone responds to the arsehole, they're the arsehole?

I hate how the left is held to supposedly higher account, not because of any moral high ground, because it simply suits the relational aggression tendencies at the other end of the spectrum. I hate this language war. But if you start it, I'll take you on, especially in this thread where such important things are being discussed.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
Yes...we must settle down. get back to basics...White Men are sick and tired of being persecuted and blamed for every wrong in society...Heck, if it wasn't for them you would all still be mumbling and living in caves...Now that's sorted, move on without backlash and tirades from lesser people...

: )

Reactions: ryan79

·
Environmental Busybody
13,846 Posts
Why you take it personally is the question. There is a problem, it needs to be fixed. It's not about you.

1 - 20 of 304 Posts