Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2671 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toll tunnel plan

June 10, 2007 12:00am

A MULTI-LANE tolled tunnel linking the Eastern Freeway with CityLink at Flemington has been proposed to ease Melbourne's east-west traffic woes.

Macquarie Bank has put forward the proposal to build the super tunnel to a Government study examining ways to tackle growing traffic congestion between the eastern and western suburbs.

It is understood the tunnel under Melbourne's inner north would cost several billion dollars.

According to the proposal, the cost of traffic gridlock in Melbourne will double from $4 billion to $8 billion each year by 2015, with the length of congested road more than doubling from 640km to 1330km by 2011 unless action is taken.

The proposal states the tunnel is an ideal first step in an east-west transport solution, providing a vital link between the Eastern Freeway east of Hoddle St, CityLink at Racecourse Rd and the CBD while also acting as a partial ring road.

The tunnel would have two to three lanes in each direction with interchanges at Nicholson St and Royal Parade.

It would ease congestion on existing routes, including Hoddle St and Alexandra Pde, reduce travel times via the new tunnel and allow for more public transport options, according to the proposal.

The submission to the East-West Link Needs Assessment study states traffic forecasts make the tunnel a financially viable option. It would be built in partnership between the public and private sectors.

Motorists would pay tolls in line with CityLink and EastLink.

Other options being considered by the study include a 15km link, including tunnels from the Eastern Freeway to Western Ring Rd at Deer Park, a tunnel from the Port of Melbourne to Geelong Rd or Western Highway and a train, light-rail or bus route from Doncaster and Box Hill down the Eastern Freeway and then to the city by tunnel.

The final report is due to be handed to the State Government for consideration early next year.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21878988-661,00.html

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^ posts links! M3_SoutheastMelb, I'm sure ppl have told you before if you don't post them ppl will think you actually took the photo's:eek:hno:!

PS. That was for the Pics, not the article!

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just fucken said they were from FLickr and "Expressway" didn't I?

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
PPP? Macquarie and their fund-draining link can fug off.

And I'd love to see how they propose to link it with Citylink - probably by destroying the housing commission parkland.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should give credit to who took the pictures...
yeah yeah fucking get over it people and lets get back on topic already :bash:

ZH836301 said:
And I'd love to see how they propose to link it with Citylink - probably by destroying the housing commission parkland.
the only possible place for the interchange would be at the Footscray/Dynon road area. Just build the ramps above the railyards. The only challenge would be the positioning of the tunnel portals taking into account the grades from the elevated ramps to underground and getting around the maze of train tracks.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
Well I'll start you off - that land is far too valuable to be wasted with a massive interchange. Anyway, if you even read your own article you would see Macquarie wants to join it at Racecourse Rd, next to the Housing Commission estate.

With interchanges at Royal Parade and Nicholson St - again I'd love to see how they can work this without creating a fugly mess. Macquarie can fug off back to Sydney for all I care.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I'll start you off - that land is far too valuable to be wasted with a massive interchange. Anyway, if you even read your own article you would see Macquarie wants to join it at Racecourse Rd, next to the Housing Commission estate.
well thats the whole point. AN interchange would be too difficult to build at Racecourse Rd. Theres the housing blocks in the way and built up area to the east. Thats why I'm saying that around Footsscray Road would be the only possible solution. Even then you have to work around the very complex rail freight hub.

Something like this would be a good solution. You have the main portal with the 6 lane highway emerging in an empty space between the railway, theres a good 750m before Citylink so the grade between the portal and the probable 20-30m high flyovers at citylink will be managable. Plus theres on/off ramps onto Footscray Rd from the new link which will be especially useful for freight traffic, this being a major freight hub, destined for the east/southeast suburbs and Gippsland and will remove some of it from the Monash/Westgate Fwy.

This proposal really should've been part of Citylink.

With interchanges at Royal Parade and Nicholson St - again I'd love to see how they can work this without creating a fugly mess. Macquarie can fug off back to Sydney for all I care.
building the on/off ramp portals in the centre median of Alexander Pde? It'll likely be somethng similar to the ED in Sydney.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Since when has Melbourne had "east-west traffic woes"? The biggest traffic problem is that everyone is trying to get into the CBD, not trying to go across it...that's not going to be solved by useless new freeways.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since when has Melbourne had "east-west traffic woes"? The biggest traffic problem is that everyone is trying to get into the CBD, not trying to go across it...that's not going to be solved by useless new freeways.
that's why they want interchanges at Nicholson St and Royal Pde. Provide alternative access routes into the CBD

·
derp
10,274 Posts
that's why they want interchanges at Nicholson St and Royal Pde. Provide alternative access routes into the CBD
Have you read Michelle Zeibots' work yet?

Clearly you haven't if you are still advocating freeways to provide 'easier access to the CBD'.

BTW over in the congested roads thread I have posted some pictures that will surely have you wetting your pants and shouting "[email protected]!! where are t3h fr33ways???". Oh, whats that?, congestion in peak hour on a freeway leading to the city? Who'd a thunk it?

And please provide at minimum a link to every photo that you post that isn't yours. Just saying 'Flikr' and 'Expressway' is not good enough - especially when you are taking their images and uploading it to imageshack so that noone can see where the image came from.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's about 2km from the end of the Eastern Fwy to Nicholson, and about 3km to Royal Parade. 3km of extra freeway won't make much difference, if any, to commuters wanting to get to the city - especially considering the Eastern isn't that congested upto Royal Pde anyway. Of course, this is completely ignoring the effect a freeway and freeway interchanges will have on the area, particularly around Royal Parade. There's no room in the median strip at either Nicholson or Royal for an interchange of any sort.

1 - 20 of 2671 Posts