Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seek some assistance here. By my reckoning Melbourne has 219 stations (I have included the non-electrified "Met" services to Melton, Sunbury, Craigieburn and Stony Point).

Most of these stations have two platforms. Here are the exceptions I identified:

16 platforms: Southern Cross (1-14, 8 South, 1 North)

13 platforms: Flinders St (1 thru 10; also 1,10 & 11 east (now 11-13)

10 platforms: Richmond
6 Platforms: North Melbourne, South Yarra

4 Platforms:

Footscray, Flagstaff, Melbourne Central, Parliament, Burnley, Hawksburn, Toorak, Armadale, Malvern, Caulfield

3 Platforms:

Werribee, Sunshine, St. Albans, Essendon
Hawthorn, Glenferrie, Auburn, Camberwell, East Camberwell,
Cantebury, Chatham, Surrey Hills, Mont Albert, Box Hill,
Mitcham, Ringwood,
Oakleigh, Dandenong,
Glenhuntly, Ormond, McKinnon, Bentleigh, Patterson, Moorabbin, Brighton Beach

1 Platform:

Seaholme, Rockbank, Williamstown, Ardeer, Rockbank,
Flemington Racecourse, Showgrounds
Upfield?, Alamein, Tecoma?
Baxter, Somerville, Tyabb, Hastings, Bittern, Mooradoo, Crib Pt., Stony Pt.

The other 162 have two platforms ...

I'm sure I've made some mistakes here ... it's a long time since I went to Hurstbridge & I've never been to Upfield by train.

Feel free to contribute data for your own (Australasian) city, but leave out monorail light rail and tramway platforms (unless specifically identified): also ferry-wharves.

·
PTnut
588 Posts
Does an island platform served by tracks on either side count as two platforms or one platform?

·
PTnut
588 Posts
Then what about platforms that can be used to allow passengers to board and alight, are maintained as such, but no regular scheduled trains actually stop there?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then what about platforms that can be used to allow passengers to board and alight, are maintained as such, but no regular scheduled trains actually stop there?

There can't be too many of these? Four such platforms crossed my mind in Melbourne: a platform at Essendon, one at Brighton Beach, & two at flinders St. I included them. At Essendon, I'm not sure if they use the platform. At Brighton Beach they probably don't. At Flinders St, I've certainly got off there at times ... gets used for special occasions, like Homebush.

Show us your stats!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're talking about some of those platforms on the way to Strathfield, include them.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Central to Strathfield Corridor:

Central/Sydney Terminal - 25 (10 through - 8 above ground, 2 underground - 15 terminating). 27 including disused
Redfern - 12 (10 above ground, 2 below ground). 14 including disused
MacDonaldtown - 2
Newtown - 2
Stanmore - 3, one of them not in regular use
Petersham - 2
Lewisham - 2
Summer Hill - 3, one of them not in regular use
Ashfield - 5
Croydon - 5, three of them not in regular use
Burwood - 6
Strathfield - 8

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
Town Hall: 6
Wynyard: 4 (+ 2 tram platforms, now a carpark)
Circular Quay, St James, Museum, Martin Place: 2. (St James was constructed to have 4 but they built over the middle pair to make one big island platform.)

Blacktown has 7. I think it's the 4th biggest station on the network after Central, Redfern and Strathfield.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Central to Strathfield Corridor:

Central/Sydney Terminal - 25 (10 through - 8 above ground, 2 underground - 15 terminating). 27 including disused
Redfern - 12 (10 above ground, 2 below ground). 14 including disused
MacDonaldtown - 2
Newtown - 2
Stanmore - 3, one of them not in regular use
Petersham - 2
Lewisham - 2
Summer Hill - 3, one of them not in regular use
Ashfield - 5
Croydon - 5, three of them not in regular use
Burwood - 6
Strathfield - 8
I've been through there many times, en route to Melbourne or Katoomba: didn't realize there were so few in use.

Sandringham has 1 platform.
Town Hall: 6
Wynyard: 4 (+ 2 tram platforms, now a carpark)
Circular Quay, St James, Museum, Martin Place: 2. (St James was constructed to have 4 but they built over the middle pair to make one big island platform.)

Blacktown has 7. I think it's the 4th biggest station on the network after Central, Redfern and Strathfield.
Thanks.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
Going the other way from Redfern:

Erskineville: 4 (+ 2 partially constructed but with no tracks)
St Peters: 4 (+ 2 similar to Erskineville)
Sydnenham: 6
Tempe: 4?
Wolli Creek: 4 (platforms on the 'main' Illawarra tracks only, plus 2 on the Airport line which runs perpendicularly underneath it)

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ Great! How many at Sutherland, Hornsby, Parramatta, Cabramatta, Liverpool, (Penrith), Epping, and anywhere else you can think of where extra platforms would be an advantage?

·
Banned
460 Posts
I think that the reason for Stanmore and Summer Hill having an extra disused platform each is that each was the citybound platform for their respective stations back when the line had only 4 tracks i.e. the stations were island platforms. When the line was widened to 6 tracks they added one of the extra tracks on the south side of the line, forming the local westbound track, so requiring new platforms to be built there, at these stations. BTW, does anyone know if this is what happened at Lewisham (my local station), too? The side of platform 1 facing the suburban tracks looks a bit like it was once wider but was then trimmed back. The widening from 4 to 6 tracks is also why there is a gap between the suburban (centre) tracks at MacDonaldtown that is shaped like an island platfrom, as that is what was there before the line was widened. You can still see the walls that comprised the sides of the stairwell leading down from the platform site, and you can see where that stairwell met the passageway underneath.

Feel free to correct any of the above if it's wrong... :)

·
Banned
460 Posts
^^ Great! How many at Sutherland, Hornsby, Parramatta, Cabramatta, Liverpool, (Penrith), Epping, and anywhere else you can think of where extra platforms would be an advantage?
Sutherland - 3, Hornsby - 4 (soon to be 5), Parramatta - 4, Cabramatta - 2, Liverpool - 3, Penrith - 3, Epping - 3 (soon to be 5).

I wonder if Sutherland will need a 4th platform with the duplication of the Cronulla branch? Will the sharp curve leading away from the station at the start of the branch be duplicated?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx. If the Cronulla line was single track, it must have had passing facilities (double track) at some stations?

·
Banned
460 Posts
^ The mid-section is or was double track (I think the single track sections are in the process of being duplicated). I know that Miranda station is an island platform with two tracks, but it's been so long since I've travelled on that line that I don't remember which other stations have two tracks and which have one. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronulla_railway_line,_Sydney

Also, I guess that the single platform stations on the Richmond branch line will need extra platforms if the line is duplicated. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_railway_line,_New_South_Wales

·
26,705 Posts
Brisbane Metropolitan Network has 153 stations. Need more time to figure out platform numbers though.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Yardmaster, are all those platforms at SX in use? I heard that there was a couple there for future expansion. Or was it that there was room to build more for future expansion?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts