Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australian politicians unite to vote against gay rights

19th June 2007 13:34

A motion in the Australian Senate to grant single people and same-sex couples access to fertility treatment has been defeated by a coalition of left and right.

The opposition Labour party voted with John Howard’s government to defeat the measure proposed by Green Senator Kerry Nettle by 51 votes to 8.

She wanted the federal government to work with the states and territories to give IVF and adoption rights to all people regardless of their sexuality.

Last June the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) leader John Stanhope accused coalition senators of “shamefully and explicitly” endorsing second-class citizenship after failing to protect the Civil Unions Bill in the Senate, the remaining hope for the legislation to be passed.

The ACT’s local assembly had approved the bill giving same sex couple’s the right to a civil union after watering down the law to ensure it did not represent marriage, but the Federal Government quashed the law.

Mr Stanhope said:

“They abandoned 320,000 of their fellow Australians and they rubber-stamped the Prime Minister’s own disgraceful disenfranchisement of the people of the ACT, rendering the rights of Canberrans second-class rights, the democratic entitlements of Canberrans second-class entitlements.”

Prime Minister John Howard said, "We are not prepared to accept something which is a plain attempt to equate civil unions with marriage."

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For all those naive people who see Kevin Rudd as the saviour of gay rights keep dreaming :lol: He is another bible thumber like John Howard
Let's see how long it takes before people actually realise that this is a right wing society and nothing is going to change for the next 10 years at least in terms of social progress

Start your immigration applications :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Rudd is really little or no better than Howard on gay rights. In fact, I respect Howard's position more, because at least he's quite upfront about it. Rudd's position when it comes to law reform is essentially the same as Howard's (i.e., no reform, no marriage, etc.), but Rudd still gives lip service about being all for equal rights.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah, Isoboy & Pallo are unfortunately both correct in their analysis.
How depressing this is, and soon we are gonna be so far behind the rest of the western world when it comes to gay rights we'll become a laughing stock.

Heck, even places like Buenos Aires, Mexico City, South Africa, Colombia etc etc now allow gay marriage/civil ceremonies.

Its not just the lack of wedding ceremony that rankles me :)) ), its the actual second-class citizen legal status in terms of tax treatment, super, medical benefits, etc etc that actually shits me the most. :rant:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I know a few lesbians who have had ivf. How do they determine who can and can't get ivf? Does a lesbian simply have to play it straight to be eligible to get ivf?

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
Looks like turkey baster sales are going to skyrocket.

and I agree with GaryinSydney -I'm sick of being treated like a second class citizen just because of the way I was born. What a load of shite.

It makes my blood boil to think that two opposing political parties (that argue over everything) can magically come together in absolute agreement over denying rights to a down-trodden minority.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well it is an election year so neither political party (particularly the Labor Party) wants to upset the masses and have gay rights become an election issue.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I'd rather have gays running the country than backwards bible bashers. The more I see things the more I can correlate rich and powerful people to religion.

Time to convert?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The majority of Australians would agree with Rudd and Howard. True or false? this forum isn't a good representation of the wider community.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This self righteousness from a small minority, not concerned about what others think, but only their own demands...

·
Overwatch Nexus
1,865 Posts
The majority of Australians would agree with Rudd and Howard. True or false? this forum isn't a good representation of the wider community.
This self righteousness from a small minority, not concerned about what others think, but only their own demands...
What so that means that just because we are a minority case is closed? So any minority is not allowed to have voice? To have rights? Get real. It has nothing to do with minority or majority it has to with the rights and equality of your fellow human beings.

·
Registered
794 Posts
When the ACT made the Civil Union Legislation, the Liberal Party voted to remove it. The ALP did not. They're ahead by one point. Though I do agree that Rudd is hardly a saviour to gay rights but anything is superior to John Howard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What so that means that just because we are a minority case is closed? So any minority is not allowed to have voice? To have rights? Get real. It has nothing to do with minority or majority it has to with the rights and equality of your fellow human beings.
No, just when a minority wants to push its own belief system on the rest of us.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Equality is such a terrible thing. Those damn minorities. Can't they just be happy and discriminated for once? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
They're not pushing shit onto the rest of you. Grow up. There are arguments to be made against this sort of progressive legislation but in the past few threads regarding homosexuality you guys keep coming up with this sort of irrelevant garbage that bears no resemblance to the issue at hand.

·
Overwatch Nexus
1,865 Posts
You'll have to do better than that BDM. You're openly saying that it's okay to deny equal rights, throwing around words about "belief systems", "righteousness", and "demands" doesn't cut it. As if you are the one to be so affected by our equality. Our rights have nothing to do with you.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts