Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as voted by The Weekend Australian Magazine readers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/gallery-e6frg8h6-1225948469008

20. Rialto Towers, Melbourne
19. Academy of Science, Canberra
18. Circle on Cavill, Gold Coast
17. AAMI Park, Melbourne
16. Q1, Gold Coast
15. Chifley Tower, Sydney
14. Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane
13. Parliament House, Canberra
12. Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne
11. Australia Square, Sydney
10. Balencia, Melbourne
09. Bicentennial Conservatory, Adelaide
08. Brisbane City Hall, Brisbane
07. St James Church, Sydney
06. Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne
05. Eureka Tower, Melbourne (AUSTRALIA'S FAVOURITE SKYSCRAPER)
04. Southern Cross Railway Station, Melbourne
03. Monaco House, Melbourne
02. Queen Victoria Building, Sydney
01. Sydney Opera House, Sydney

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An interesting list!!

Not sure if these buildings were nominated by The Weekend Australian Magazine or whether voters could vote for any building they chose...but there are a few notable absentees including

- Flinders Street Station, Melbourne
- Federation Square, Melbourne
- GPO Sydney, Sydney
- St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney

Also surprised that the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane made the list ahead of something else in Brisbane like the Gallery of Modern Art.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
Interesting -- but since when was AAMI Park a building? Also, in my opinion, St. James' Church doesn't really fit with the others in terms of design. History maybe but not design. Also the Rialto Towers? Really. One of the country's blandest buildings.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane :wtf:

I'd have put Customs House, Brisbane over this hospital ...

·
Registered
13,416 Posts
Interesting -- but since when was AAMI Park a building? Also, in my opinion, St. James' Church doesn't really fit with the others in terms of design. History maybe but not design. Also the Rialto Towers? Really. One of the country's blandest buildings.
They're ranked 20th, and I wouldn't say they're bland, they're just simple. It's their simplicity that makes them a timeless building.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
A few surprises in the list but nothing can ever beat the Sydney Opera House. It pushed the boundaries in terms of design but also a huge engineering feat given the doubts many had in the 1950's if it would be possible to actually construct the structure.

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me, Flinders Station is the most notable absentee. The view of Flinders from across Flinders Street, with a tram passing in front and Eureka in the background, is iconic Melbourne and it is the best looking station in Australia HANDS DOWN

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Bizarre list.

The Myer Music Bowl isn't really a building, its a structure. And AAMI Park, amazing, but again, not really a building.

Where's Federation Square? Easily one of the most daring public buildings built in Australia since the Opera House.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
^Did you not see the shitty "Top Ten Ugliest Buildings in Australia" list?

Fed Square was fairly high up on it, god knows why.
It was printed on News.com.au

The Herald Sun is a well known critic of Federation Square, and as a result, its blind pig-headed readers believe this too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts