SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Notre Dame, Paris, France <---> St. Peter's Cathedral, Adelaide, SA, Australia

Similarities between those two cathedrals are amazing and they are both about same tall. Ofcourse it was intended to look like Notre Dame.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
There are a lot of churches that follow Notre Dame's architecture. In fact heaps of churches did before Vatican II Council.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
^ bit of a history lesson for me, what did the Vatican II council do to change that?
St. Mary's in Sydney is also a similar copy to the Adelaide church

·
Registered
574 Posts
It looks like St Marys Cathedral in Sydney before the spires were added some years ago. It is NOT St Peters in Adelaide. This post is a ruse. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kota16 said:
It looks like St Marys Cathedral in Sydney before the spires were added some years ago. It is NOT St Peters in Adelaide. This post is a ruse. :)
If you are refering to Renell's picture... he said it's st Mary's cathedral from Sydney...

The photo I posted is 100% St Peter's because I took it. ;)

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
renell said:
^ bit of a history lesson for me, what did the Vatican II council do to change that?
Catholic is a latin word for universal. It has a lot of global components to the Catholic faith since the faithfuls are spread out around the world. What the Vatican II did is remove strict building code to Euro-centric designs, instead allow architects to design the church according to their culture and embrace modernity in the new millennium.

Gaudium et Spes Document in the Holy See.

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
Boeing747 said:
I wish St Peter's in Adelaide cathedral was catholic...
If St Peter's Cathedral in Adelaide is Anglican - it is catholic - as the Anglican Church is part of the One True Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. What Anglicanisim is NOT - is Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics, like Anglicans belong to the Catholic Church, as do all the great Orthodox Church's of the East.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts