Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is Australias ugliest skyscraper the biggest eyesore
building dont make this into a bitching thread plz
send pix of the ugliest building
thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Melbourne really has some shockers, but this would have to be one of the worst.

A new (!) block of prison-style student accommodation at the corner of Swanston and Queensberry Streets. :puke:

There's another set of twin damn fugly buildings (Former Communications House) on the corner of William and Lt Bourke Streets in Melbourne's legal precinct that are possibly worse, but I don't have any pictures of them.

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
For some damn reason I can't use image shack to downsize that picture above, anyone ever have similiar problems, I have tried hosting it in all sorts of sizes and it keep coming out huge. Had these problems last week as well when I was posting my Melbourne pics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
For some damn reason I can't use image shack to downsize that picture above, anyone ever have similiar problems, I have tried hosting it in all sorts of sizes and it keep coming out huge. Had these problems last week as well when I was posting my Melbourne pics.
Here, I resized it in The GIMP for you

Telstra building in Wooloongabba:
[image removed]

·
7,236 Posts
- That multi coloured Melbourne job looks fantastic IMO, definately not the sort of thing you want as a central feature of a skyline but a nice bit of funkiness to brighten up the place
- Yeh Blue C turned out pretty average
- Wooloongabba Exchange I find quite bearable for what it is
- I don't believe comingsoon genuinely thinks Central Park is ugly
- And there's far worse than Shell House

Like THIS! - CBA at 141 Liverpool St in Sydney (pic by Randwicked)

·
Developer
8,325 Posts
The world's first high rise jail / university campus:

Welcome to RMIT University:

And it could have been oh, so much worse (yes that is an elevated plaza and blank concrete walls facing the interestion of Swanston and La Trobe Streets, with four lane entrances to the huge underground carpark to break things up a bit):

·
7,236 Posts
But you've got so much hideous crap to choose from? How could you nominate Central Park as the ugliest building in Australia??? :)

T&G is probably the ugliest building in Brisbane IMO (by me from City Hall)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Oriolus said:
But you've got so much hideous crap to choose from? How could you nominate Central Park as the ugliest building in Australia??? :)
Some history: 20 years ago Perth built the Bankwest Tower against the advice of many Perth citizens and architects who believed Perth would be better to have a low-rise policy like Adelaide. Perth has always suffered from small-city syndrome though, and having a genuine tall would mean it could be just like the Eastern States, so it went ahead.

Next we got a few ugly smaller talls, followed by Central Park, an arguably way-too tall building for a city of Perth's size. More small-city syndrome rationale. That aside, originally CP was supposed to be filled in where the setbacks are now, but what we got instead were giant support girders. the original design was far better. Even worse, the top of CP, which was supposed to be a right sided triangle, is a box surrounded by girders. Take a look when you're there next, it seriously is awful. It makes the Royal Domain Tower's box look like a work of art. Really a city's tallest building should be first class in every respect. Unfortunately, for many Sandgropers CP is merely a metaphor for mediocrity and lack of self esteem in needing such a tall building in the first place.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.