Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about this on the morning news this morning and found it on the web:

http://www.examiner.com.au/story.asp?id=289409

Arts, Culture & Entertainment front page
West Coasters go wild over `ugly towns' tag
By MARTIN STEVENSON , Tuesday, 24 May 2005

An appropriately robust West Coast response has greeted a Sydney travel magazine's claim that Zeehan and Queenstown are Australia's "two ugliest towns".

`MUST SEE' TOWNS

1. Fremantle, WA

2. Hahndorf, SA

3. Margaret River, WA

4. Beechworth, VIC

5. Port Douglas, QLD

6. Stanley, TAS

7. Strahan, TAS

8. Tanunda, SA

9. Ross, TAS

10. Byron Bay, NSW

`DRIVE-THROUGH' TOWNS:

1. Zeehan, TAS

2. Queenstown, TAS

3. Pemberton, WA

4. Whyalla, SA

5. Swan Hill, VIC

6. Geelong, VIC

7. Coober Pedy, SA

8. West Wyalong, NSW

9. Marble Bar, WA

10. Surfers Paradise, QLD

The isolated population centres were rated the worst in a "top 10" list of what it termed "drive-through" towns.

Australian Traveller described Queenstown, number two on the list, as "a shoo-in for the most butt-ugly town in Australia".

Magazine writer Suzi Petkovski has told readers that the West Coast town not only has "denuded and claustrophobic hills" but also "cracked footpaths and shopkeepers that treat paying customers like trespassers".

Australian Traveller described Zeehan as a "rough as guts mining town with a lots of trailer-park town planning".

Western Australia's main timber town, Pemberton, which ranked third-worst, was described as "eerie scary".

Queenstown Gifts and Souvenirs owner Neville Reid termed the listing "totally uninformed".

"You get some yuppie little person down here from Sydney who can't get the sort of chardonnay or coffee they want and they bag the place," he said yesterday.

"They're just permanently bad-tempered because of the high mortgages they have to pay up there.

"I've had thousands of tourists through here and I've never had a complaint."

Mt Lyell Motor Inn manager Graeme Lynch said that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

"It's got it's own character. First up you'd think `S---, what have we come into?' but it's probably a bit unfair, I think we've been harshly judged."

Zeehan's Heemskirk Motor Hotel staff member Rachel Miller said that Petkovski "needed to pull her head in".

"I'm a bit shocked, I thought our town was quite nice," Ms Miller said.

Hotel Cecil and Old Miners Cottages co-owner Suzanne White described Zeehan as "very attractive". "There are lovely wide streets and attractive buildings," she said.

The good news is that, of 10 "must see" Australian towns listed by the magazine, three are in Tasmania.

Stanley, (No. 6), Strahan (No. 7) and Ross (No. 9) are rated as places everyone should go to.

Ms Petkovski conceded yesterday that if the subject was picturesque towns, Tasmania "could fill out a top 10 on its own".

http://www.examiner.com.au/story.asp?id=289409

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Surprised (not to some people though) to see 'Surfers' in at No: 10 in the drive thru towns. Geelong also, I'd only been there once and what I remember was........ not much really !!!

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
Interesting, NSW didn't have any entry except Byron Bay at no 10 on the positive list. Can't say much for the list...there are other towns in Australia that I would describe as more "must see" than Fremantle! Surfers at no 10 on the bad list!!! hahahaha!

·
I want to do you slowly
491 Posts
Yes there's already been loud protests in the local papers over the listing. What can I say - Geelong is a manufacturing centre not a tourist trap. Of the other places listed I've only been to Surfers and I've driven through West Wyalong.

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
Who in their right mind would drive through surfers?

traffic is shithouse, you'd at least go through the west :p

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
surprised Ballarat and Bendigo arent on there given their history and architecture.

There is a town called Murray bridge is SA which I hear is TERRIBLE, right ?

·
Registered
77,333 Posts
Queenstown has a great brick chimney left from mining days.due to arsenic poisoning from smelter days the area now has a m00n scape feel

lovely GPO

west wyalong doesnt look too bad

st marys

·
Developer
7,686 Posts
Moe, Morwell and Colac are much worse than Geelong which at least has a nice waterfront area now. I think a few of the entries in the ten worst list are there just to create controversy and publicity for the publication.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Highly ironic that Coober Pedy is called a drive through town. If you don't pick up fuel and supplies at coober pedy then GOOD LUCK making it to Marla alive!!! It's the only town along the 500km stretch between Glendambo and Marla, in the middle of the freakin desert.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
Second Gympie,

But dont agree with Ipswich. (It isnt great but i dont think its meant for that list)

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I propose a motion that Gladstone also be put on the 'Drive thru' towns

Jenolan Caves be put on the 'Must see' list
And the Gold Coast(Total, not just Surfers) be put on the 'must see' list

·
Registered
295 Posts
I drove for an hour and a half specifically to visit Gladstone the other week. I was staying in Rockhampton so maybe that explains it.

Actually it was work related.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts