Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australia has some shocking roads, but which are the worst?

It can be in the city and country...

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Obviously the Ipswich Motorway. Blind crests, onramps merging into the right hand lane, short on and off ramps, crap road geometry.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
I won't comment on which was worst, but this was pretty bad.

Another disasterous accident close to here is currently under investigation, so I won't comment.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The Ipswich motorway is probably the worst City road.

As for country roads, I'd imagine a narrow 2 lane road with crappy painted lines which you can't see, no lighting, blind crests, with no warning signs, sharp turns, no overtaking lanes anywhere, sharp turns.

what else makes the worst road?

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
The Bruce Highway between Noosa >> Gympie is pretty bad also.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I can only really comment on Sydney area roads.

Worst Road surface: Parramatta Rd through Lidcome, Auburn and Granville. It's like driving on corrugated iron.

Most stressful road: Oxford Street at night in the rain. No central divider, 6 lanes wide, and drunk people constantly stumbling across.

The worst overall would probably be the M5 east tunnel. Poor line of sight, steep grades, polluted as hell and constantly congested.

Yardmaster: What happened in that pic, and where is it?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I will also agree with the M5 East as the worst freeway in Australia. It wasn't even designed to cope with the large volume of traffic that was to use it. Only 2 lanes in each direction.

It's always congested and the pollution is always visible inside.

And the Pacific Highway is also at the top of my list between Hexham and the QLD border.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I will also agree with the M5 East as the worst freeway in Australia. It wasn't even designed to cope with the large volume of traffic that was to use it. Only 2 lanes in each direction.

It's always congested and the pollution is always visible inside.

And the Pacific Highway is also at the top of my list between Hexham and the QLD border.
I'm no freeway-advocating super zealot but yeah the M5 east is a travesty and far too narrow considering it serves:

a Major interstate linke (Hume Highway)
A major commuter area (south western Sydney)
The industrial estates in western and south-western Sydney
The nation's second busiest port
The nation's busiest airport.

Apparently when it opened, the traffic volumes that they projected for 5 years in the future were acheived by the second day. :eek:hno: I really cannot see how they are going to fix this, even if they building another tunnel where will it go?

And yes the Pacific Highway is ludicrous. It is absolutely ridiculous that we have had 30 yeras of promises to upgrade this to dual carrigeway and it is still only piecemeal. Hell, put some Euro style tolls on it for all I care, just build the damn thing!!! I know it's been said before but if the Pac Highway is completed along with a few other bits and pieces (nearly all in NSW), then we have a dual carrigeway/freeway running from around Noosa to Geelong, passing with 50 km of the vast majority of the Australian population. Is this too much to ask?

Sorry for the rant. :)

Other roads in Sydney that are irritating to drive on and someone always tries to kill me:

Bridge St, City
King St Newtown
Spit Hill, Mosman

Oh and another route that is pretty bad in parts is the Putty Road, especially the Northern End. It's a beautiful drive though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Cleveland St between City Road and South Dowling Street. Especially with cyclists.

The eternal mystic smog and congestion of the M5 East.

Parramatta Road.

Abercrombie St during morning peak hour between Cleveland St and Broadway.

Meagher St, Sydney - discovered 1 metre deep pothole after roadworks to fix up the road. Fortunately discovered big hole in road whilst walking past!

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
For Coneslammer:

Just an OHS report, but gives background - Freight Train Accident Lismore (pdf)

Some genius was travelling too fast in the fog and embedded his rig into the side of a freight train at Lismore, Victoria.

In terms of freeways in Melbourne, I would have to nominate:

1/ Curving section of Western Ring Road west of Sydenham railway - abonimal surface heading west
2/ Left lanes of West Gate Freeway - some parts are sinking to a pretty intense angle on overbridges

·
Registered
149 Posts
Worest road Must be Melbourne's M1 when they turn off the ramp metering. Since they started using it Melbourne's motorways have been so much better.

But in 'non-peak' times (such as 9:01am mon-fri:eek:hno: )they don't utilise the lights. This is especially a problem on weekends at warragul rd. Can't they just leave them on all day? Letting 10-20 cars on the motorway at one time is a disaster for travel times and ALWAYS ends up in a slower journey with more stop starting.

Makes you wonder what those people at VicRoads are doing? I take it they don't work weekends :nuts:

Anyone who says ramp metering doesn't work ought to be shot! Lovin' it!

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
^^ Yes the Pacific Highway is an abysmal joke.

The carpark that is the M2 is crap.

I also have to commend workers for shutting down the M5 east the other night ... nice of them to actually give warning getting dumped in the south western suburbs with no warning was very annoying.

Most of our freeways and highways are shit. Our infrastructure is an embarrasment to our country.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Melbournes are reasonably ok, but i am sorry to say Sydney's roads are just not enough. We need more roads, more interchanges and more lanes. There doesn't seem an area of the city immune IMO. Many reach ridiculous levels of traffic in peak times, more motorways are needed with better linkages as congestion is killing Sydney.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
^^ Yes the Pacific Highway is an abysmal joke.

The carpark that is the M2 is crap.

I also have to commend workers for shutting down the M5 east the other night ... nice of them to actually give warning getting dumped in the south western suburbs with no warning was very annoying.

Most of our freeways and highways are shit. Our infrastructure is an embarrasment to our country.
Oh man guess what I saw that they've done on the M2 last night. The speed limit westbound is now 80 from the LCT to just past the toll both, where it reduces to 70 km'h just before the Epping tunnel. You wouldn't believe it but they've just installed a 70 km'h fixed speed camera just before you go through the Epping tunnel.

Seriously, a 70 km'h speed camera on a tollway? Fucking pathetic.

And while we're on the topic, I noticed two new speed cameras in the general area as well. Southboung on Old Windsor Rd near Sunnyholt Road and another one on Old Northern Road in Castle Hill.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
That's alot of speed cameras added very quickly.

Melbournes roads are streets ahead of ours and their speeds are frequently higher with many roads going 100 all the way in. The Warringah freeway should be 100 and so too should the M2 and LCT. I have no idea why we have such crap speed limits, the roads are capable of those speeds esp at night ... we have electronic variable speed signs so why dont they use the fucking things. Roads like the F3 are capable of 130 at night and when its light on traffic. It really is time we had variable speeds to provide better functionality and use of our infrastructure. Instead we get lumped with revenue raising cameras, aimed to do nothing more than bolster revenue, slow traffic and create headaches for the public. The RTA is already amazed at the speedsters nabed in the LCT, maybe there is a message here. Obviously our limits are too low ... btw has there been any accidents caused by the speeding? I have not heard of any. It is also time all school zones were removed for high schools. I mean why are they on Victoria Road and the Pacific Highway - stupid decisions like these are really hampering us moving forward.

I always thought there was a camera in the epping tunnel. I guess I was wrong until now. I rarely drive out there anyway but still its nice to know. The poor Melburnians don't get such a luxury with many cameras hidden on overpasses and in clandestine locations.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts