SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situated on Wayzata Bay at the northeastern end of Lake Minnetonka, Wayzata (pronounced Why-ZETTA) is a former Victorian-era resort town and today is is an upper-middle class suburban city.

Because of its transformation to a suburban community in the mid-20th century, the city has an odd mixture of architectural styles for a small suburb. Wayzata's "downtown" area stretches in a linear format along the bay shore, and unfortunately the BNSF railway cuts the community off from the lake. Some downtown buildings and parks are directly adjacent the railroad tracks, and during the day when the trains come through, the sound of the horn is almost deafening.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Population: 3,688
October 22, 2011

·
Human Being
42,229 Posts
Interesting. Good photos.

I am interested in the way that many U.S suburbs are, almost, seen as cities in themselves, with their own 'downtown' area - even though the population is really quite small.

What do you say to this?

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^Thanks for your nice comments, Jane.

Actually, it's almost always quite the opposite—most suburbs in most US metro areas don't have downtowns, and are primarily bedroom communities interspersed with office parks and shopping centers. In recent years, a lot of suburban areas have started building "lifestyle centers", which mock a central downtown environment, but generally only cater to suburban shoppers.

In Wayzata's case (and many other cities in the Twin Cities metropolitan area), the town already existed prior to suburban development after WWII. So once suburbia crept in, new development occurred and the city grew. People are attracted to older communities like this because they have a higher sense of identity and amenities are sometimes within walking distance, which is virtually never the case in average suburbs.

·
Human Being
42,229 Posts
^^Thanks Jenni for your response. I see what you mean - how an older community has been swallowed up into the greater metropolitan area.

Great photos.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wayzata appears to be a beautiful & tranquil town. How far to the city? Is there a transit connection to the city?

·
leisure cook
11,910 Posts
Beautiful autumn, nice colors.....thanks for the pics.:cheers2:

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wayzata appears to be a beautiful & tranquil town. How far to the city? Is there a transit connection to the city?
Wayzata is about 20 minutes west of downtown Minneapolis on Wayzata Bay, a part of Lake Minnetonka.

Actually, there isn't a rail transit connection. The depot hasn't been in operation since 1971, but is important to town and is on the National Register of Historic Places because it used to be one of the main stops along the Great Northern Railroad.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to live in this town, it is so beautiful and it hits me right in the heart :) all those small charming buildings and...well all of it :) Thank you so much for sharing your photos, Jennifat :) I'll come back and visit this thread again...and again...and again...:)
I hope that wasn't sarcasm. :) :) :)

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
amazing autumn scenery,the colour is so sharp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts