SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks until winter proper and it was warm, clear and 21 degrees in sunny Melbourne today, so i thought id take a walk around Albert Park Lake and the F1 grand prix track and soak up the brilliant views of the city.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Nice!

Never get enough of Albert Park lake, used to row there at night and the skyline
in the middle of the black lake is amazing!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah, that's my favourite pic as well. Melbourne looks 'mighty' from that angle. Eureka now has completely transformed the city skyline from nice to extraordinary!

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Nice really !

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Thanks for the comments dudes... i liked that one best myself. The air around the city was a little polluted hence the pics turned out somewhat hazy and fuzy. so its not a perfect pic but it still turned out well. great time of year with all the reds/yellows/oranges coming out in all the trees.

·
Registered
612 Posts
WOW Melbourne is so beautifull and its the only Australian capital city i havent been to, will fit it in sometime :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
great pics dean, love the views (but not the smell) of albert park lake i used to run it back in the day and the skyline looked awesome even pre-eureka.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
velco said:
great pics dean, love the views (but not the smell) of albert park lake i used to run it back in the day and the skyline looked awesome even pre-eureka.
well i live just over the road and ill tell u it doesnt smell anymore. Ive never seen so many birds on the lake at once. i was to chatting to an old bloke who sits on the park benches all the tme and he said the birds are breeeding coz there's so much food and the lake is cleaner than ever.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Very pretty pics, Melbourne looks great.

Eureka seems to be taking a long time, I notice the crane is still there, wasn't it once far ahead of Q1. Q1 has been completed and open for months now.

Of course Eureka is the taller building, but it does seem to be taking a while.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Dean said:
^^ Thanks for the comments dudes... i liked that one best myself. The air around the city was a little polluted hence the pics turned out somewhat hazy and fuzy. so its not a perfect pic but it still turned out well. great time of year with all the reds/yellows/oranges coming out in all the trees.
I actually reckon the haze worked in your favour, Dean. The haze was sufficiently thin not to look grungy and polluted. Rather, it gives your pics that fresh Autumn-morning feel (as if there may have been a light frost overnight and the temperature is just rising). Very Melbourne indeed....

·
Banned
481 Posts
That favoutrite pic of Dean's, with the cluster of buildings to the left, looks almost New Yorkish.

Great pic. Good shots all round.

Love the Lake area.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
^^Great shots Dean, and I wouldn't worry too much about the haze, it adds an autumnal atmosphere. :)

For those not from Melbourne, below are a couple of aerials showing you Albert Park Lake in context to Melbourne’s CBD and St Kilda.

Below. a blast from the past, a dinghy race at Albert Park Lake ~1910s.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Melbourne has a very different atmosphere in autumn to all other aussie cities except Hobart mainly due to the large amount of early plantings of imported deciduous trees and shrubs from europe that are more suited to the cooler climate.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some more of the great Supreme Court building. taken a few days ago

William Street side

Lonsdale Street side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts