Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting list of avg. rainfall in select cities around the World (in inches):

Europe

London: 23
Paris: 24
Berlin 23
Zurich: 43
Madrid: 17
Bacelona: 23
Copenhagen: 23
Rome: 31
Moscow: 24
Frankfurt: 25
Manchester: 35
Stockholm: 20
Dublin: 30
Cork: 43
Bergen: 82
Amsterdam: 30
Milan: 39

North America

New York: 46
Miami: 62
Chicago: 35
New Orleans: 64
Atlanta: 50
Phoenix: 8
Dallas: 36
San Francisco: 22
Seattle: 40
Vancouver: 44
Los Angeles: 13
Boston: 45
Toronto: 30
Kansas City: 37
Las Vegas: 4
Quillayute (state of WA): 105

I will add on more...

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Is Quillayute (WA) a city?

I recall my city's rainfall as being 26 inches per annum, but our Bureau of Meteorology has indicated that due to climate change, since 1970, the rainfall has been diminuishing by 2 inches per decade.

Incidentally, WA means "Western Australia" here.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^It's a small city in the state of WA. More than anything, I put it in there to show how much rain it gets.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Here are some cities that have rather high rainfalls. I got these figures from www.worldclimate.com .

Rather strangely, Mumbai was referred to as "Bombay", and Havana produced several small towns in the mid-west of America, but not the capital of Cuba.

I left these figures in inches, since people who deal in mm will be able to easily convert them.

• Suva (the Capital of Fiji): 116 inches.
  • Darjeeling (I did try for Katmandu): 112.6 inches
  • Singapore (a notable place in SE Asia): 89.5 inches
  • Hong Kong: 87.3 inches
  • Bombay (Mumbai): 83.8 inches
  • Rabaul (Papua/New Guinea) 83.6 inches
  • Manila (Capital, Phillipines): 80.7 inches
  • Darwin (Australia): 69.2 inches
  • Calcutta (now Kolkutta): 64.3 inches
  • Djakarta (Capital, Indonesia): 63.9 inches
  • Tokyo (Capital, Japan): 60 inches
  • Shanghai (China): 45.1 inches
  • Brisbane (Australia): 45 inches

By my recollection , the wettest place on earth is the Cherapungi Hills in East India, which recieve over 450 inches per year.

It would be interesting to see if any national capital is wetter than Suva.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Hartford, CT, US gets a little bit more than 46 inches (1,168 mm) of rain.

I'm actually suprised about the relatively low average rainfall of many Western European cities (like London and Paris). If they had a few less inches of rain, they would be considered semi-arid.
Not in our part of the world. It depends how much insolation you get.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm actually suprised about the relatively low average rainfall of many Western European cities (like London and Paris). If they had a few less inches of rain, they would be considered semi-arid.
That is what surprised me most too. When I think of London, I think of a very green city with forests. I don't see how 23 inches can sustain that. But the again, if you look at SF, with similar rainfall, it also has many green areas.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hong Kong and Singapore gets huge amounts of rain! That's enough to sustain a rainforest.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That is what surprised me most too. When I think of London, I think of a very green city with forests. I don't see how 23 inches can sustain that. But the again, if you look at SF, with similar rainfall, it also has many green areas.
Grass in London in summer usually turns brown. The clay soil is completely dry and cracked in then summer, but waterlogged in winter. Where do you get the forests from? Most of the area surrounding London is either downland, grassland or heathland with small patches of woodland.

This summer however is turning out to be a disaster, its been extremely wet and dull, with the highest temperature so far just 26C (79F). Usually we would've seen 28-30C (82-86F) by now a couple of times at least. This time of year is meant to be dry and sunny, but it feels more like October than the end of June.

This month's weather:
1. 22C, sunny
2. 25C, sunny
3. 25C, sunny
4. 20C, mostly cloudy
5. 22C, sunny
6. 18C, partly cloudy
7. 18C, mostly cloudy
8. 21C, mostly cloudy
9. 25C, mostly cloudy
10. 25C, sunny
11. 22C, mostly cloudy
12. 24C, sunny
13. 24C, sunny with showers
14. 23C, light rain
15. 21C, sunny with showers
16. 20C, sunny with showers
17. 21C, sunny with showers
18. 20C, sunny with showers
19. 26C, thunderstorms
20. 22C, sunny
21. 21C, sunny with showers
22. 20C, sunny with showers
23. 20C, sunny with showers
24. 17C, heavy rain
25. 16C, sunny with showers
26. 17C, mostly sunny
27. 20C, mostly cloudy with showers
28. 20C, sunny with showers
29. 22C, sunny with showers
30. 18C, cloudy with showers

We should only be seeing 10-11 wet days for the month of June.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I can't believe some places in the NW get over 160 inches of rain.

If you think that's extreme, look at Hawaii:

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@London, you are lucky, because I love that cool weather.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The average high in LDN is 75, so you can't expect much more.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Londoners have an odd idea of what really hot is. When I was there in the summer of 2005, people were acting like there was some kind of deadly heat wave. It was like 70-80 degrees. :lol:

·
Registered
758 Posts
The average high in LDN is 75, so you can't expect much more.
June usually sees several days in the low-mid 80s though. July, August and September obviously have more hot days, but the complete lack of hot days with the highest temp being just 79F is quite worrying. September is about the same as June, whereas July and August should each see a few days in the high 80s-low 90s, even though the average is 75F in both months. A normal summer has about 25-30 days above 25C (77F), 10-20 days above 27C (81F), and about 4-5 days above 32C (90F).

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
I think the way we get the downfall also have a lot to do with it...

In Copenhagen ( and Denmark in general ) we normally get atleast one shower per week, but it's always light rain..

Where in places like your own Florida ( as as I have experianced ) it's almost storm like conditions that don't last especially long but bring a lot of water..

·
BANGED
772 Posts
I hate Pacific Northwest.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts