SkyscraperCity banner

5801 - 5820 of 5853 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great News. I'm so glad it was finally awarded to a Japanese Company. Taisei is a very reputable Japanese construction company dating back to 1873. I believe it was they who built Colombo Hilton in 1987. They are not a new-rich, fly by night company. That means we will be getting quality ShinMaywa boarding bridges which are solid world-class products. They were the first to build boarding bridges for the A380. As always, nothing good is going to come cheap, and anything cheap usually ain't no good.

Is the green roof meant to symbolize the Betel Leaf? This design is not very impressive. The previous lotus design was much better. Someone only needs to say that the green roof represents the UNP, out will go this design and the lotus will be back. LOL !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
To be honest, I might be in the minority, but I don't really like the lotus design.
I do think the lotus inspired designs are very beautiful and unique to Sri Lanka, but it's been overused in Sri Lanka now.

Surely there are talented Sri Lankan architectures, who can design the new terminal without having to design it around a lotus flower.

However, at the end of the day, as long as BIA gets a new terminal and is redeveloped properly that's what matters to me the most, regardless of what design they choose.

·
Registered
214 Posts
To be honest, I might be in the minority, but I don't really like the lotus design.
I do think the lotus inspired designs are very beautiful and unique to Sri Lanka, but it's been overused in Sri Lanka now.

Surely there are talented Sri Lankan architectures, who can design the new terminal without having to design it around a lotus flower.

However, at the end of the day, as long as BIA gets a new terminal and is redeveloped properly that's what matters to me the most, regardless of what design they choose.
But then again, the lotus has a much more relevance to the country and it's culture than this made up leaf culture in Sri Lanka. It is over used, but given the two options, the lotus terminal stands out much better than this. But then again, if we can end the cultural reference based concepts and more to a more futuristic plan like the new Beijing Airport or the new Muscat Airport, Id be more than happy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
But then again, the lotus has a much more relevance to the country and it's culture than this made up leaf culture in Sri Lanka. It is over used, but given the two options, the lotus terminal stands out much better than this. But then again, if we can end the cultural reference based concepts and more to a more futuristic plan like the new Beijing Airport or the new Muscat Airport, Id be more than happy.
Exactly we have to choose between the lotus and leaf designs and since the leaf design has no cultural significance and it in my opinion looks nothing like a leaf and more like a normal green roof we should choose the lotus .

Though I don't know if the government can change the design since it was tendered as the leaf design

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great News. I'm so glad it was finally awarded to a Japanese Company. Taisei is a very reputable Japanese construction company dating back to 1873. I believe it was they who built Colombo Hilton in 1987. They are not a new-rich, fly by night company. That means we will be getting quality ShinMaywa boarding bridges which are solid world-class products. They were the first to build boarding bridges for the A380. As always, nothing good is going to come cheap, and anything cheap usually ain't no good.

Is the green roof meant to symbolize the Betel Leaf? This design is not very impressive. The previous lotus design was much better. Someone only needs to say that the green roof represents the UNP, out will go this design and the lotus will be back. LOL !!
I mean it won't be that hard . That is a very particular shade of green and the replacing the lotus garden with a golden elephant is alsosuspicious. just saying

·
Registered
437 Posts

That's a banana leaf, I think. They made some sort of point on the video they put out with kids holding up a banana leaf

·
Registered
437 Posts

Thank you for being the voice of reason here.

The lotus design was also flawed for another reason- no colour at all. It was a silver/white roof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vietnam is also building a USD 5.4 Billion Lotus Airport

Vietnam is also building a USD 5.4 Billion Lotus Airport. (Damn !!) Now we cannot be copycats. Better switch to Araliya or Olu. :lol:
Actually as long as we get a modern terminal that's all what matters.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Japan’s Taisei Corporation awarded Rs.35bn BIA expansion project
February, 21, 2020

The Government of Sri Lanka has decided to award a Rs.35 billion contract to Japan’s Taisei Corporation for the expansion of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA).

Accordingly, the proposal submitted by the Minister of Tourism and Aviation was approved by the Cabinet of Ministers to award the contract related to the package ‘A’ of step 2 of the stage II of the Bandaranayake International Airport project to Taisei Corporation to a total contracted sum of Japanese Yen 41,553.89 million and Sri Lankan Rupees 35,135.84 million.

It has been an essential requirement to enhance the capacity related to airport passenger terminal with immediate effect in order to adhere to the situation since it is expected that the number of annual air passengers handled by Bandaranayake International Airport is estimated to reach 20 million by the year 2025

http://bizenglish.adaderana.lk/japans-taisei-corporation-awarded-rs-35bn-bia-expansion-project/

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Chairman confident of SriLankan Airlines’ route to profitability in 2-3 years
February, 21, 2020

SriLankan Airlines will be transformed into a profitable entity in the future that can contribute to the overall development of the country said the Chairman of SriLankan Airlines Ashok Pathirage.

This was stated at the COPE committee meeting held on Wednesday (19) under the Chairmanship of MP Sunil Handunneththi at the Parliament Complex.

"Our main priority is to see how we can make this Airline profitable. I just want to explain that myself and the entire board are doing an honorary job. We are not taking any cent from SriLankan Airlines. Our job is to make sure that moving forward SriLankan Airlines will be profitable. We want to make sure that we are not depending on any government funding," Pathirage stressed.

Pathirage pointed out that Sri Lankan Airlines' monthly CPC bill is about US$14 million. "But we are only paying US$ 6 million. When I took over two months ago it was US$ 6 million, since then I have requested them (pointing at his board) to pay US$ 8 million because we wanted to make sure we can run this business on our own fund,” he noted.

Meanwhile emphasizing the losses, he noted that the Airline is estimated to lose about US$130 million by March 2020.

“We would have done better but after the April attack, business has gone down and also today we are facing a challenge with Coronavirus and we have cut down our flights to China and that is definitely going to incur some losses for us but we are very confident that if everything goes well, if there are no external issues like; Coronavirus, a war in Middle-East or if oil prices goes up beyond our control we would be able to bring the losses down to about US$30 million next year and if we manage to do that, we will be able to pay CPC and everybody on time,”

“We have also looked at a five-year plan and we see there are about 300 million cash flows outflowing for us and obviously we need to go back to the government, they are the shareholders and we need to see how we can fill this gap. As a board, our primary objective is to give enough money for the management to run this business for at least the next five years rather than depending and going back every time to the government and asking for money. The board has a plan and we are very confident that we will make this Airline profitable soon maybe in another 2-3 years,” he added.

The committee was held with the presence of Minister Susil Premajayantha and MPs Ajith. P Perera, Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe, Harsha De Silva, Ashok Abeysinghe.

http://bizenglish.adaderana.lk/chairman-confident-of-srilankan-airlines-route-to-profitability-in-2-3-years/

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone remember this article,
Jetstar Airways to operate to Colombo soon
dailynews.lk/2019/07/15/finance/191102/jetstar-airways-operate-colombo-soon

Well, it turned out to be a reality, well sort off...

Jetstar Asia to launch Singapore - Colombo flights from July
https://www.dailynews.lk/2020/02/21/finance/212124/jetstar-asia-launch-singapore-colombo-flights-july

Nonetheless, this means more tourists hopefully.

Good News.
That means Qantas (through Jetstar) is finally making its presence in Sri Lanka. However I smell competition for Sri Lankan Airlines on the lucrative Melbourne-Colombo sector. Being a budget carrier their fares will be much lower on a Melb-Sing-Colombo ticket. Probably looking at AU$1200 for a round trip during peak season compared AU$2600 on Sri Lankan. Next to fly from Singapore will be Scoot.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Plenty of greenery inside- I'm a fan. I don't think the all-silver, all-glass look suits a tropical country like SL. Let the Turks do what they want.

The only gripe I have is the lackluster roof now. And I hope to god those low-ceiling nightmare corridors from the last BIA video don't get built. That looked ridiculous, barely 8 feet from floor to ceiling- looked like an airport made for hobbits.

5801 - 5820 of 5853 Posts