SkyscraperCity banner

781 - 800 of 838 Posts

·
7,707 Posts
The Preservation Group kicked off last if I remember correctly because they wanted to retain a cricket pitch on the grounds. That was even with a temporary stand in the previous scheme. I was just querying if that element has since been resolved because that stand looks permanent. I personally like the design. I in particular like the public realm around the river with the stepped bank and the open terrace to one end, but this scheme does altogether appear even more intrusive and out of keeping to the historical setting than the previous scheme in my opinion.

·
18,227 Posts
Shame the leisure centre can't be relocated to another site, 'cause it looks a complete eyesore, and would also free up some extra land.

·
Tax avoider
23,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
The key point of that proposal is that the leisure centre has to be removed. Sadly there's absolutely no mention of even the possibility of that in today's material.

·
7,707 Posts
Yes I prefer the previous scheme too. If the retention of the cricket ground is no longer an issue and the leisure centre represents an obstacle then why don't they shift the stadium towards the cricket pitch end of the field where there is more room?

·
18,227 Posts
Stadium for Bath: The arguments against proposed new Bath Rugby stadium at the Rec

We spoke to people who have concerns about the concept designs for the ambitious redevelopment

Too big, too commercial and not right for a World Heritage city.

These are some of the comments people have made about the concept designs for the Stadium for Bath.

While many have praised what they have seen so far, there are also those with concerns and criticisms.

Peter Downey, who used to be chairman of the Real Friends of the Rec, said: “I’m very concerned about the East Stand. That’s our safety valve from expansion.”

A condition on Bath Rugby’s current lease – signed in 1995 and valid until 2069 – is that the East Stand must be removed during the summer months.

Bath Recreation Ltd would not be against a permanent East Stand under a new lease, which would have to be drawn up for the stadium proposals to become a reality due to the extra land needed.
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/stadium-bath-arguments-against-new-1829077

·
Tax avoider
23,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
Does anybody know if anything's currently happening at Allianz Park or Kingston Park? Saracens and Newcastle both have planning permission, so did the bulldozers move in at the end of the season?
To answer my own question, Newcastle Falcons v Saracens is on BT Sport right now, and there's no sign of any work at the uncovered end.

·
Tax avoider
23,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #790
Does anybody know if anything's currently happening at Allianz Park or Kingston Park? Saracens and Newcastle both have planning permission, so did the bulldozers move in at the end of the season?
And I noticed in highlights from the Saracens v Bristol game that nothing's happening there either.

·
18,227 Posts
‘Bloodgate’ chairman Charles Jillings returns to Harlequins board

The former Harlequins chairman who resigned in the wake of the Bloodgate scandal has returned to the club’s board as they push ahead with plans to build a new stadium.

Charles Jillings stepped down as chairman and director of Harlequins in October 2009 after accepting ultimate responsibility for Bloodgate, when Tom Williams used a blood capsule bought from a joke shop to fake an injury under the instruction of Dean Richards, then the director of rugby.

Jillings, who continued as co-owner with Duncan Saville, returns to the board after nine years as part of a restructure of the club hierarchy, relating to the plans to build a 30,000-capacity stadium on the site of their present home, the Twickenham Stoop.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/bloodgate-chairman-returns-to-harlequins-board-r6zxx72bs

·
Tax avoider
23,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
I can't see how 30,000 is possible unless they knock down the flats that they built to raise the funds for the last redevelopment!

·
18,227 Posts

Saracens Rugby Club is pleased to announce it has been granted planning permission and secured funding in partnership with Barnet Council to renovate the West Stand at Allianz Park.

The current West Stand in the multi-purpose north London stadium will be transformed into a modern, fit for purpose event facility and community hub for education, sporting and outreach activities.

The £23 million redevelopment project will include:

A fully accessible, weatherproof facility for 3000 spectators

First-class hospitality experience

A centre of excellence for Middlesex University’s London Sport Institute and Health Faculty that includes a purpose built simulation suite

A dedicated education centre operated by the award-winning Saracens Sport Foundation

Improved training, medical and competition facilities for all users including athletics, rugby and community sport

The creation of a community garden designed by local school children

A new media facility

The club aims to start the construction phase at the end of the current rugby season (summer of 2019) with completion anticipated in 2020. Matches will continue to be played at Allianz Park during this period and the club will keep supporters updated throughout the process.
https://www.saracens.com/news-article/saracens-rugby-club-given-green-light-for-west-stand-redevelopment

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really don't get the Saracens redevelopment - why are they keeping the athletics track (other than I presume it's part of the Sport Institute)? If it was redeveloped as an athletics plus Rugby stadium it could potentially hold large meetings with the new stands in place, but with the 4G pitch I assume it's not much use for field sports. Surely it would just be better to put an athletics facility somewhere else and make this Rugby specific, or otherwise do the thing properly and build a decent athletics stadium that also houses Saracens?

£23 million seems a hell of a lot of money for what looks like a pretty basic design, 3,000 seats and a facility at the end that isn't much good for either Rugby or Athletics.

·
18,227 Posts
The latest designs for a new Bath Rugby stadium at the Rec will be made public next month.

The Stadium for Bath project is proposing an 18,000-capacity permanent development, which could also be used by the community and would regenerate the riverside area between Pulteney Bridge and North Parade.

If it is approved by the council, it would also have a raised pitch with a 600-800 space car park underneath it.

Next month, the final round of consultation will be held on the latest, detailed designs before a planning application is submitted.
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/new-bath-rugby-rec-stadium-2226556?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really don't get the Saracens redevelopment - why are they keeping the athletics track (other than I presume it's part of the Sport Institute)? If it was redeveloped as an athletics plus Rugby stadium it could potentially hold large meetings with the new stands in place, but with the 4G pitch I assume it's not much use for field sports. Surely it would just be better to put an athletics facility somewhere else and make this Rugby specific, or otherwise do the thing properly and build a decent athletics stadium that also houses Saracens?

£23 million seems a hell of a lot of money for what looks like a pretty basic design, 3,000 seats and a facility at the end that isn't much good for either Rugby or Athletics.

£23m does seem a lot but bear in mind that this will be the main stand housing changing rooms, media facilities, boxes, hospitality. It will improve the ground quite a lot. The changing rooms currently are in portakabins which is a bit of a joke for England's premiere club.

I'm with you on the Athletics track. I don't know why they can't just lay a new one somewhere close by. How much does that cost? There's quite a bit of space around the ground. In it's current form the Athletics track is not much use as anything more than a training facility. It's only six lanes most of the way round. I've not heard of even semi important meetings being held there and as you mentioned the 4G pitch is a bit silly for throwing events.

My only guess as to why they're keeping it is because the Athletics track was there first and keeping it helps justify the council funding for a multi use community facility rather than being just the home ground of a professional rugby club.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting that the Allianz Park redevelopment will retain the unusual floodlight arrangement. On one side the lights are on two large pylons in the corners but on the other they're arranged in a line on the roof of the stand.

781 - 800 of 838 Posts